PDA

View Full Version : Calculating pi?

jimi_hendrix
August 14th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I've always wondered how to do this but i have no clue on how to go about it

i want to create a console app that keeps on computing pi until i close the app (and have the app not lock up because it is in an infinite loop)

i have tried the basic 22.0/7.0 in python and that only gets me the first few digits the same with using doubles in C# and floats in C++

i checked google and wikipedia and i got nothing for typing in "pi calculation programming algorithm"

i have a feeling im going to get a simple answer that i missed somewhere

thanks for any help with this and it will probably teach me something i will need later

Zugzwang
August 14th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Wikipedia? There are plenty of methods for computing Pi in the Pi (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi) article.

azr
August 14th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I have been meaning to get around to doing something similar, but never struck upon a good idea. However - this http://www.math.hmc.edu/funfacts/ffiles/20010.5.shtml ( this ) looks promising. It describes a way to calculate the Nth digit of pi, albeit in base 16.

Qtips
August 14th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Hi,

One solution to approximate the value of pi come from the book : Python programming - An introduction to computer science from John Zelle.

You need to sum the terms in the following series:
4/1 - 4/3 + 4/5 - 4/7 + 4/9 - 4/11 + ...

My program to do it is the following:

# pb15ch3.py
# Write a program that approximates the value of pi by summing the terms of this series:
# 4/1 - 4/3 + 4/5 - 4/7 + 4/9 - 4/11 + ...
# The program should prompt the user for n, the number of terms to sum, and then output the
# sum of the first n term of this series. Have your program substract the approximation from
# the value of math.pi to see how accurate it is.

def main():
import math

print
print "This program approximate the value of pi by summing a series of n terms."

n = input("Enter the numbers of terms to be summed: ")

sum = 0
for i in range(n):
sum = sum + 4.0 * (-1) ** i / (2 * i + 1)

accuracy = 100 * abs(math.pi - sum) / sum

print "The approximation of pi with", n, "terms is", sum
print "The accuracy of this approximation is", accuracy, "%."

print

main()

Hope this helps.

Lster
August 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM
For the fun of it, I've coded up the following to program to demonstrate calculating pi.

The first program see quite slow to converge and uses the information from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi#Classical_period

#This method seems quite slow.

from decimal import Decimal

one = Decimal(1)

pi = 0

i = 0
sign = 1
while i <= 100:
pi += sign*one/Decimal(2*i+1)
sign *= -1
i += 1

pi *= 4
print pi

This program seems much faster to calculate digits with:

#This method seems better!

from decimal import Decimal, getcontext

getcontext().prec = 100
one = Decimal(1)
sixteen = Decimal(16)

pi = 0

k = Decimal(0)
while k <= 100:
pi += sixteen**(-k)*(4/(8*k+1)-2/(8*k+4)-1/(8*k+5)-1/(8*k+6))
k += 1

print pi

:popcorn:

NovaAesa
August 14th, 2008, 04:30 PM
You might want to check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss%E2%80%93Legendre_algorithm. It's converges to pi very quickly, but uses alot of memory.

jimi_hendrix
August 14th, 2008, 04:35 PM
any way i can get it so i can do 22.0/7.0 and it doesnt round?

Lster
August 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM
What do you mean? Do you want fractions?

finer recliner
August 14th, 2008, 04:42 PM

22/7 does not equal pi. it was used as an approximation way back in the old days.

eddVRS
August 14th, 2008, 04:45 PM

22/7 is not pi, but merely an approximation-

22/7 = 3.14285714285714 [to 14DP]
....pi = 3.14159265358979 [to 14DP]

<edit> the finer recliner beat me to it :p </edit>

jimi_hendrix
August 14th, 2008, 04:53 PM
so i better get used to the big formulas...ill try it out later and post my code

lukjad
August 14th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I was always interested to learn how to calculate pi. Whenever I would ask my teachers I would get the brush off. So, you take 4 and divide it by 1 and subtract 4 divided by the next odd number? Then 4/5 - 4/7 etc.?

Zugzwang
August 14th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Note that you will have too look into computing using big floats. If you just use the regular "double" or "float" data types, then the precision is limited anyway so you can just use the constants provided in the respective language - you won't get any closer.

eddVRS
August 14th, 2008, 05:20 PM
there is a CLI based app to calculate pi. Might be worth having a look to see how they calculate...

jinksys
August 14th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I was always interested to learn how to calculate pi. Whenever I would ask my teachers I would get the brush off. So, you take 4 and divide it by 1 and subtract 4 divided by the next odd number? Then 4/5 - 4/7 etc.?

Pi is simply the ratio of a circles circumference to its diameter.

The equation for the circumference of a circle is C=Pi*D, which D being the diameter. Solve this for Pi and it becomes, Pi=C/D.

If you wish to calculate Pi for yourself, go trace a circle onto a sheet of paper. Get a string and measure the diameter and circumference. Plug your numbers into the above equation and you have an approximation of Pi. This is why our approximation of Pi gets better as technology progresses. We now have computers that can measure circles very accurately.

hod139
August 14th, 2008, 05:56 PM
My favorite way (not the fastest by a long shot though) of calculating Pi is by throwing darts (Monte-Carlo simulation). We actually had a thread related to this some time back (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2695585&postcount=11)

tamoneya
August 14th, 2008, 06:12 PM
recession of fourths (4/1-3/4+5/4-7/4 ...) does eventually converge on PI however it converges VERY slowly. I would recommend that you use this formula.http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/0/3/7/037bcc5ddc36d7cb44f83b6c5365027f.png

jimi_hendrix
August 14th, 2008, 06:25 PM
dumb math question...what does the greek E (epsilon?) mean in math

Kadrus
August 14th, 2008, 06:29 PM
If i am not mistaken Sigma.

happysmileman
August 14th, 2008, 06:29 PM

It means "sum of" AFAIK, so the equation above would be you do it for k from 0 - infinity (Maybe don't go quite that high to save some time) and add up all the results

tamoneya
August 14th, 2008, 06:31 PM
the E is actually a Sigma which is roughly equivalent to "S". what it means is you sum the terms between two limits of a variable. In this case we are summing from k = 0 to k = infinity. And we the expression we are summing is all the crap to the right of the sigma. I dont feel like writing it but lets call it f(k). In summary: pi = f(0) + f(1) + f(2) ... F(infinity). So if you keep recursively adding f(k) you will converge on pi.

cszikszoy
August 14th, 2008, 06:32 PM
the "E", is not Epsilon. It's Sigma. They use Sigma to represent an infinite Sum.

I used to TA and Tutor C++ and Java programming at my University. One of my favorite assignments to give was to teach beginning programmers to use loops to approximate things like pi and e^x using an infinite series.

Part of the assignment was to determine how many iterations of the loop (or sum) it took for the approximated value to come to within 1 * 10^-10 of the "built-in" value for whatever was being approximated.

I've wanted to propose this exact problem as the next "Beginner Programming Challenge", but I did'nt want step on LaRoza's toes. I sent him a Message with my problem proposal, and saying I would help out...

**AHEM LaRoza... if you're reading this, check your PM Inbox...**

jimi_hendrix
August 14th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I've wanted to propose this exact problem as the next "Beginner Programming Challenge", but I did'nt want step on LaRoza's toes. I sent him a Message with my problem proposal, and saying I would help out...

**AHEM LaRoza... if you're reading this, check your PM Inbox...**

actually figuring this out would make a good challenge...but a different formula would work...like Celsius to Fahrenheit or vise versa only harder with things like sigmas and sines that would take some work

cszikszoy
August 15th, 2008, 12:13 AM
actually figuring this out would make a good challenge...but a different formula would work...like Celsius to Fahrenheit or vise versa only harder with things like sigmas and sines that would take some work

What I suggested to LaRoza was to do things like decimal approximations of Taylor series functions, such as ln(1-x), e^x, and all trigonometric functions. That was always one of my favorite assignments to give and explain :)

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 12:27 AM
what im saying is (this may be what your suggesting because i have non clue what the taylor series of functions is...) but im saying is you could have a great challenge if you take the formula for the distance of a projectile it uses some obscure math as well as order of operations and this would teach you the ability to do complex math (programming is all math after all)

nickgaydos
August 15th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Man, I can't even understand dimension of shapes or whatever that well :P

cszikszoy
August 15th, 2008, 12:43 AM
what im saying is (this may be what your suggesting because i have non clue what the taylor series of functions is...) but im saying is you could have a great challenge if you take the formula for the distance of a projectile it uses some obscure math as well as order of operations and this would teach you the ability to do complex math (programming is all math after all)

Taylor series is easy.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/9/4/c/94c80ea78d3a7bc148500c303f13d324.pngand also
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/0/0/2/0028748ab96e054f7ea813bb9f19d69f.png
Add those up forever and you get the value of e^x and sin(x)

**from wikipedia.com

tamoneya
August 15th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Taylor series is easy.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/9/4/c/94c80ea78d3a7bc148500c303f13d324.pngand also
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/0/0/2/0028748ab96e054f7ea813bb9f19d69f.png
Add those up forever and you get the value of e^x and sin(x)

**from wikipedia.com

While those are examples of taylor series just knowing that doesnt mean you know taylor series. You need to know derivatives. This is one of the reasons why it shouldnt be a programming challenge. While math is important and closely linked with computer science there is no reason to require calculus for a beginner challenge.

cszikszoy
August 15th, 2008, 02:16 AM
While those are examples of taylor series just knowing that doesnt mean you know taylor series. You need to know derivatives. This is one of the reasons why it shouldnt be a programming challenge. While math is important and closely linked with computer science there is no reason to require calculus for a beginner challenge.

While I agree that the derivations are important, the object is to illustrate the mechanics of loops. The point is to prove to beginners that you can do powerful things with programming. I have a double major in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering, and a minor in math - I've done enough derivations :)

While derivations are important, they aren't the end-all-be-all. You don't ask a 4th grader to derive pythagorean's theorem, yet, they are still required to know how to use it. Programming is the same way! You don't ask someone to 'derive' all of the functions in the C stdlib, you teach them how to use them.

tamoneya
August 15th, 2008, 02:25 AM
While I agree that the derivations are important, the object is to illustrate the mechanics of loops. The point is to prove to beginners that you can do powerful things with programming. I have a double major in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering, and a minor in math - I've done enough derivations :)

While derivations are important, they aren't the end-all-be-all. You don't ask a 4th grader to derive pythagorean's theorem, yet, they are still required to know how to use it. Programming is the same way! You don't ask someone to 'derive' all of the functions in the C stdlib, you teach them how to use them.

When I said derivatives i meant as in d/dt. That comment was mostly pointed at your claim: "taylor series are easy" and then just showed to examples of a taylor series. You didnt explain at all what it is and how they are found or what their significance. As for programming challenges you can teach the same thing but instead use simpler series that dont come from calculus. Exmamples would be the Fibonacci sequence or pascals triangle.

hosk
August 15th, 2008, 02:32 AM
While we're on the subject of difficult things for beginner programmers to do, how about the Jacobi method. OH SNAP, can't you use that for making images like, uglier? Double bonus!!

slavik
August 15th, 2008, 06:15 AM
look up the "Chudnovsky method" or "Ramanujan pi", both are supposedly accurate pi representations.

Lux Perpetua
August 15th, 2008, 07:42 AM
As has been noted, the series 4 - 4/3 + 4/5 - 4/7 + 4/9 + ... converges very slowly. How slowly: being generous, computing N terms gives you absolute accuracy of only about 1/N. Want 4 digits after the decimal? No problem, just compute 10,000 terms!

One that I like is the infinite product of nested radicals

2/pi = sqrt(1/2) * sqrt(1/2*(1 + sqrt(1/2))) * sqrt(1/2*(1 + sqrt(1/2*(1 + sqrt(1/2))))) * ...

It's also a rather old formula (16th century) and easy to prove using trigonometry alone, no calculus. It converges tolerably fast: with the first N factors, your absolute error in approximating pi is about (pi^3)4^(-N)/24.

wenuswilson
August 15th, 2008, 08:51 AM

"If epsilon is greater than zero then for all integers N there exists an integer n greater than N such that the absolute value of the infinite sequence x 'sub' n minus the limit L is less then epsilon."

That's how I know epsilon. Proving limits where epsilon is any real number greater than zero.

Otherwise it's used in physics "epsilon zero" to mean "permittivity of free space" equaling ~ 8.854 187 817 x 10^-12 F/m. [Constant taken from Physics reference (http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/physics/constants.html)]

lordhaworth
August 15th, 2008, 09:32 AM
One quite cool way of using a program to find PI is to approximate it using Monte Carlo Methods.

You program a square of radius 2R containing a circle radius R
http://code.google.com/edu/parallel/img/inscribe.png
then use a random number generator to simulate "throwing darts" at this square/circle. Then PI can be found as the ratio

PI / 4 = Number Of Darts In Circle / Number Of Darts in total

You will find that the more darts you throw the closer the approximation will be.

lordhaworth
August 15th, 2008, 09:36 AM
If you have any other questions on how that works ^ just ask!

The accuracy of this method depends on your patience

Lster
August 15th, 2008, 10:08 AM
The Monte Carlo method seems quite slow really. I didn't throw darts - instead I just tried each point.

#This method basically tries every point in a one quadrant of a circle.
#As pi*r^2 = area, pi = area/r^2; but the area we calculated is only one
#quarter, so we must multiply by 4.

n = 100

count = 0
for x in xrange(n):
for y in xrange(n):
if x**2+y**2 < n**2:
count += 1

count = float(4*count)
count /= n**2

print count

The other way, mentioned by NovaAesa, is the Gauss-Legendre algorithm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss%E2%80%93Legendre_algorithm

getcontext().prec = 50
m = 10

a = [0]*m
b = [0]*m
t = [0]*m
p = [0]*m

one = Decimal(1)
two = Decimal(2)
four = Decimal(4)
half = one/two

a[0] = one
b[0] = one/two**(one/two)
t[0] = one/four
p[0] = one

lastpi = 0

for n in xrange(m-1):
a[n+1] = (a[n]+b[n])/two
b[n+1] = (a[n]*b[n])**half
t[n+1] = t[n] - p[n]*(a[n]-a[n+1])**2
p[n+1] = two*p[n]

pi = (a[n+1] + b[n+1])**2/four/t[n+1]
if lastpi == pi: break
lastpi = pi

print n, pi

:popcorn:

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 01:06 PM
so i have this code

#!/usr/bin/env python
#
# pi.py

def main():
K = 0
calculate();
#print calculate()
return 0

def calculate():
k = 0
times = 100
while k <= times:
pi = (1/16**k)((4/8*k + 1)(2/8*k+4)(1/8*k+5)(1/8*k+6))
k += 1
print pi
return pi
if __name__ == '__main__': main()

but i get something on how an int isnt callable when i run it?

Lster
August 15th, 2008, 01:29 PM
That error is caused by the way you multiply your bracket's together. You can't do:

(2+3)(4+5)

In Python; you have to do:

(2+3)*(4+5)

But your formula is wrong anyway, I'm afraid. And at each iteration, you are supposed to add the result, not set pi equal to that. If you didn't do that, you could just just set k to 100 and be done with iteration! ;)

Here's your program with the a few changes:

#!/usr/bin/env python
#
# pi.py

def main():
K = 0
print calculate()
return 0

def calculate():
k = 0.0
pi = 0.0
times = 10
while k <= times:
pi += (1/16**k)*(4/(8*k+1)-2/(8*k+4)-1/(8*k+5)-1/(8*k+6))
k += 1
print pi

return pi

Notice how I've set k to 0.0. This is because when we do operations on k, we want the result to be decimal not rounded down. I recommend having a play around to see what happens when you change various bits... :)

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 01:34 PM
ya when i believe it was yours i was copying and i misread it as just an = sign between pi and the opperation instead of =+

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 01:37 PM
thanks it works...now these numbers that print just get infinitly closer to pi?

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 01:40 PM
ok 1 more error...."neumeric result out of range"

hod139
August 15th, 2008, 01:49 PM
The Monte Carlo method seems quite slow really. I didn't throw darts - instead I just tried each point.

#This method basically tries every point in a one quadrant of a circle.
#As pi*r^2 = area, pi = area/r^2; but the area we calculated is only one
#quarter, so we must multiply by 4.

n = 100

count = 0
for x in xrange(n):
for y in xrange(n):
if x**2+y**2 < n**2:
count += 1

count = float(4*count)
count /= n**2

print count

This is not the way monte-carlo simulation works. The point is to avoid sampling all the points inside the square, and rely on probability theory. See this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2695585#post2695585

Lster
August 15th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Theoretically. The only problem is that you are using Python's inbuilt floats which are only accurate to about 7 significant figures. If you were using a Decimal (which I used in my example), you could determine the precision you wanted... They're quite simple to use, so you might be able to work out how to use them from my code, but if not you could have a look at:

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-decimal.html

Algorithmically, each iteration gives you another hexadecimal digit, so if you want pi accurate to 100 decimal digits I think you can do this:

16^k = 10^a (with k the number of iterations and a the desired number of significant figures)
k*log10(16) = a
k = a/log10(16)

So it's easy to see that for every iteration you get about 1.2 significant figures. I'm not too confident about this so could anyone confirm it for me (it seems right).

Lster
August 15th, 2008, 01:58 PM
This is not the way monte-carlo simulation works.

Agreed, but it is very similar. Here's is the true Monte Carlo simulator:

from random import randint

n = 100

count = 0
for n in xrange(10000):
x = randint(0, n+1)
y = randint(0, n+1)
if x**2+y**2 <= n**2:
count += 1

count = float(4*count)/10000

print count

Lster
August 15th, 2008, 02:06 PM
neumeric result out of range

I'm guessing that is because you have put times up. When it comes to execute 16**k it will find that the result would be too big to store in a float. Again, using Decimals would fix this.

Pyro.699
August 15th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I do believe that this works

#!/usr/bin/python

from __future__ import division
import copy
import sys
from types import IntType,FloatType,LongType,ListType,TupleType,Inst anceType,ClassType

# set error output to stdout instead
#__errout = sys.stderr
__errout = sys.stdout

#
# Define class contfrac
# Continued Fraction object version 1
#
class contfrac:

def __init__(self,numerator,denominator=0,limit=256,ep silon=2e-9):
self.classname="contfracv1"
# if called by A=contfrac(3.1416)
if denominator==0:
if type(numerator)==IntType or type(numerator)==LongType:
self.num=numerator
self.den=1
self.cf=[numerator]
elif type(numerator)==FloatType:
self.cf = decimal2contfrac(numerator,limit,epsilon)
(self.num,self.den) = contfrac2rational(self.cf)
elif type(numerator)==ListType:
self.cf=copy.copy(numerator)
self.num,self.den=contfrac2rational(numerator)
elif is_contfrac(numerator):
self.num=numerator.num
self.den=numerator.den
self.cf=copy.copy(numerator.cf)
else:
# if all else fails its the devil's number
self.num=666
self.den=1
self.cf=[666]
# if called by A=(2,3)
else:
self.cf = rational2contfrac(long(numerator),long(denominator ))

def __len__(self):
return len(self.cf)

def lid(cfobj):
return lazy_identity(cfobj)

#
# Define class lazy_identity
# Lazy connector for contfrac objects
#
class lazy_identity:

def __init__(self,cf):
self.classname="lazy_identity"
self.cfobj=cf
self.n=0
self.a=0
self.b=1
self.c=1
self.d=0

def egest(self,debugflag=False):
# First check if we can egest
# if we can then egest a digit
# otherwise loop until we can
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"a=%d,b=%d,c=%d,d=%d" % (self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d)
while 1 :
if self.c == 0 and self.d == 0 :
break
if self.c <> 0 and self.d <> 0 and (self.a//self.c) == (self.b//self.d) :
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"We can egest"
break
# Now we must ingest one term from cfobj
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"n=%d len(cfobj)=%d" % (self.n,len(self.cfobj))
if self.n < len(self.cfobj) :
p=self.cfobj.cf[self.n]
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"term ingested is ",p
self.n=self.n+1
# Now calculate the new a,b,c,d
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d=self.b,self.a+self.b*p ,self.d,self.c+self.d*p
else :
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"term ingested is INF"
self.n=self.n+1
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d=self.b,self.b,self.d,s elf.d
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"after ingestion a=%d,b=%d,c=%d,d=%d" % (self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d)
# out of the while loop
if self.c== 0 and self.d == 0 :
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"egest the number INF"
return 'INF'
else:
q=self.a//self.c
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"egest the number ",q
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d=self.c,self.d,self.a-self.c*q,self.b-self.d*q
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"after egestion a=%d,b=%d,c=%d,d=%d" % (self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d)
return q

#
# Define class lazy_rcf_4onpi
# Lazy connector for 4/pi in regular continued fractions format
# [(1,1),(3,4),(5,9),(7,16),(9,25),(11,36),...]
# (2n+1,(n+1)^2)
#
class lazy_rcf_4onpi:

def __init__(self):
self.classname="lazy_rcf_4onpi"
self.n=0

a= self.n * 2 + 1
b= (self.n + 1) * (self.n + 1)
self.n = self.n + 1
return (a,b)

#
# Define class lazy_rcf2cf
# Lazy connector for turning regular continued fractions
# into standardize continued fractions
#
class lazy_rcf2cf:

def __init__(self,rcf):
self.classname="lazy_rcf2cf"
self.cfobj=rcf
self.a=0
self.b=1
self.c=1
self.d=0

if debugflag : print >> __errout,"a=%d,b=%d,c=%d,d=%d" % (self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d)
while 1 :
break
break
(p,q)=self.cfobj.egest()
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d=self.b*q,self.a+self.b *p,self.d*q,self.c+self.d*p
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"after ingestion a=%d,b=%d,c=%d,d=%d" % (self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d)
# out of the while loop
return 'INF'
else:
q=self.a//self.c
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"after egestion a=%d,b=%d,c=%d,d=%d" % (self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d)
return q

#
# Define class lazy_decimal
#
class lazy_decimal:

def __init__(self,lazycf):
self.classname="lazy_decimal"
self.cfobj=lazycf
self.a=0
self.b=1
self.c=1
self.d=0

while 1 :
break
break
p=self.cfobj.egest()
if p == 'INF' :
else :
# out of the while loop
return 'INF'
else:
r=self.a//self.c
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"egest the number ",r
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d=self.c,self.d,self.a-self.c*r,self.b-self.d*r
# Now calculate the egestion of r2=0 and s2=10
# new_a = c * s2
# new_b = d * s2
# new_c = a - c * r2
# new_d = b - d * r2
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d=self.c*10,self.d*10,se lf.a,self.b
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"after renormalisation a=%d,b=%d,c=%d,d=%d" % (self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d)
return r

#
# Define class lazy_base
# Lazy base for lazy operators
#
class lazy_base:

# if we can then egest a term
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"a=%d,b=%d,c=%d,d=%di,e=%d,f=%d,g=%d,h=%d" % (self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d,self.e,self.f,self.g, self.h)
while 1 :
self.count= self.count + 1
if self.e == 0 and self.f == 0 and self.g == 0 and self.h == 0 :
# We need to return INF
break
if self.e <> 0 :
Zoo= self.a // self.e
else:
Zoo='INF'
if self.g <> 0 :
Zoi= self.c // self.g
else:
Zoi='INF'
if self.f <> 0 :
Zio= self.b // self.f
else:
Zio='INF'
if self.h <> 0 :
Zii= self.d // self.h
else:
Zii='INF'
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"Zoo=",Zoo," Zoi=",Zoi," Zio=",Zio," Zii=",Zii
if Zoo <> 'INF' and Zoo == Zoi and Zoi == Zio and Zio == Zii :
break
# Now we must decide which lazy input to ingest from
if Zio == 'INF' or Zoo == 'INF' :
alpha='INF'
else:
alpha=abs(Zio - Zoo)
if Zoi == 'INF' or Zoo == 'INF' :
beta='INF'
else:
beta=abs(Zoi - Zoo)
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"alpha=",alpha," beta=",beta
if alpha=='INF' and beta=='INF' :
if self.count % 2 == 0 :
target='X'
else:
target='Y'
elif alpha=='INF' and beta<>'INF' :
target='X'
elif beta=='INF' and alpha<>'INF' :
target='Y'
elif alpha > beta :
target='X'
else :
target='Y'
if target=='X' :
p=self.X.egest()
if p == 'INF' :
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"term X ingested is INF"
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d,self.e,self.f,self.g,s elf.h=self.b,self.b,self.d,self.d,self.f,self.f,se lf.h,self.h
else :
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"term X ingested is ",p
# Now calc the new a b c d e f g h
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d,self.e,self.f,self.g,s elf.h=self.b,self.a + self.b*p,self.d,self.c + self.d * p,self.f,self.e + self.f * p,self.h,self.g + self.h*p
else :
p=self.Y.egest()
if p == 'INF' :
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"term Y ingested is INF"
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d,self.e,self.f,self.g,s elf.h=self.c,self.d,self.c,self.d,self.g,self.h,se lf.g,self.h
else :
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"term Y ingested is ",p
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d,self.e,self.f,self.g,s elf.h=self.c,self.d,self.a+self.c*p,self.b+self.d* p,self.g,self.h,self.e+self.g*p,self.f+self.h*p
# After ingestion
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"after ingestion a=%d,b=%d,c=%d,d=%d,e=%d,f=%d,g=%d,h=%d" % (self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d,self.e,self.f,self.g, self.h)
# out of the while loop
return 'INF'
else:
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"egest the number ",Zoo
# Now calculate the new a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d,self.e,self.f,self.g,s elf.h=self.e,self.f,self.g,self.h,self.a-self.e*Zoo,self.b-self.f*Zoo,self.c-self.g*Zoo,self.d-self.h*Zoo
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"after egestion a=%d,b=%d,c=%d,d=%d,e=%d,f=%d,g=%d,h=%d" % (self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d,self.e,self.f,self.g, self.h)
return Zoo

#
# Define class lazy_add
# Lazy addition for lazy objects
#
class lazy_add(lazy_base):

def __init__(self,XX,YY):
self.classname="lazy_add"
self.count=0
self.X=XX
self.Y=YY
self.a=0
self.b=1
self.c=1
self.d=0
self.e=1
self.f=0
self.g=0
self.h=0

#
# Define class lazy_sub
# Lazy subtraction for lazy objects
#
class lazy_sub(lazy_base):

self.classname="lazy_sub"
self.count=0
self.X=XX
self.Y=YY
self.a=0
self.b=1
self.c=-1
self.d=0
self.e=1
self.f=0
self.g=0
self.h=0

#
# Define class lazy_mul
# Lazy multiplication for lazy objects
#
class lazy_mul(lazy_base):

self.classname="lazy_mul"
self.count=0
self.X=XX
self.Y=YY
self.a=0
self.b=0
self.c=0
self.d=1
self.e=1
self.f=0
self.g=0
self.h=0

#
# Define class lazy_div
# Lazy division for lazy objects
#
class lazy_div(lazy_base):

self.classname="lazy_div"
self.count=0
self.X=XX
self.Y=YY
self.a=0
self.b=1
self.c=0
self.d=0
self.e=0
self.f=0
self.g=1
self.h=0

if __name__ == '__main__':
rpi=lazy_rcf_4onpi()
V=lazy_rcf2cf(rpi)
A=lazy_decimal(lazy_div(lid(contfrac(4)),V))
x=1
while 1:
digit=A.egest()
sys.stdout.write(str(digit))
if(x==1):
sys.stdout.write(".")
x=2
sys.stdout.flush()

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I'm guessing that is because you have put times up. When it comes to execute 16**k it will find that the result would be too big to store in a float. Again, using Decimals would fix this.

#!/usr/bin/env python
#
# pi.py

def main():
getcontext().prec = 100
one = Decimal(1)
sixteen = Decimal(16)
K = 0
calculate();
#print calculate()
return 0

def calculate():
k = 0.0
pi = 0.0
times = 10000
while k <= times:
pi =+ sixteen**(-k)*((4/(8*k + 1))*(2/(8*k+4))*(1/(8*k+5))*(1/(8*k+6)))
k += 1
print pi
return pi

i get some error on how getcontext is not defined

Lster
August 15th, 2008, 02:41 PM
You need to import it! ;) Change:

And that should do it.

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 03:07 PM
works...i think (the output is numbers that i dont know if they are right)

Pyro.699
August 15th, 2008, 03:20 PM
The script i provided does work, i compared it to several sites that give billions of digits of pi, and in 5 minutes i got 124000 numbers

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 03:43 PM
so each iteration gets closer to the real pi?...and the last iterateration should be the largest right

Lster
August 15th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Yes.

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 04:04 PM
then something is definitly wrong with my math
def calculate():
k = Decimal(0)
pi = Decimal(0)
times = 1000
one = Decimal(1)
iteration = 1
sixteen = Decimal(16)
while k <= times:
k += 1
print pi
print " "
print iteration
iteration += 1
return pi

it goes to the 1000 iteration and the 1000 one is > the 999 which is less then 998...:(

Lster
August 15th, 2008, 04:15 PM
This:

Should be:

pi += sixteen**(-k)*((4/(8*k + 1))-(2/(8*k+4))-(1/(8*k+5))-(1/(8*k+6)))

Note how the "=+" should be "+=" and you have multiplied many of the brackets together while you must, in fact, subtract them.

tamoneya
August 15th, 2008, 04:22 PM
then something is definitly wrong with my math
def calculate():
k = Decimal(0)
pi = Decimal(0)
times = 1000
one = Decimal(1)
iteration = 1
sixteen = Decimal(16)
while k <= times:
k += 1
print pi
print " "
print iteration
iteration += 1
return pi

it goes to the 1000 iteration and the 1000 one is > the 999 which is less then 998...:(

It is fine for the calculated value of pi to oscillate while it converges. This is actually fairly typical. look at this sequence (I am not doing any calculations here I am just making a sequence that approaches pi. The numbers themselves have no significance).

Notice that it is approaching from both above pi and below.
Here is above: 4,3.5,3.2,3.16 (it gets closer to pi)
and now below: 3,3.1,3.12 (it also gets closer to pi)

So it is totally fine for this to occur. That being said though you should make the changes suggested by Lster

jimi_hendrix
August 15th, 2008, 04:40 PM
*hits head*

too early in the morning for algabra

thanks all

slavik
August 15th, 2008, 07:51 PM
another method is to place the circle's center at the origin and integrace the circle function for the upper right part, then multiply that by 4 and you get the area area. :) (with radius of 1, the area is pi)

Lster
August 15th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I basically did that above but it converges very slowly compared to other methods.

slavik
August 15th, 2008, 08:11 PM
but it is very easy to distribute the workload :)

Lster
August 15th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Coefficient speed increases won't help. A few iterations of a second-order convergent algorithm will provide far more precision.

wenuswilson
August 16th, 2008, 09:35 AM
so each iteration gets closer to the real pi?...and the last iterateration should be the largest right

Momma always told me to never forget about rounding errors.

NovaAesa
August 16th, 2008, 11:25 AM
This is true about rounding. If you are using a 32 bit float, you wont get much higher precison than about 6 decimal places. If you use a 64 bit float, it will be about 15 decimal places.

jimi_hendrix
August 16th, 2008, 01:14 PM
in my new code i used decimals

tamoneya
August 16th, 2008, 06:39 PM
in my new code i used decimals

that by default will give you 28 digits of precision. While that is nice you could very quickly surpass that. Set the precision like this:
getcontext().prec = 100

That sets it to 100 digits.

British0zzy
August 16th, 2008, 10:46 PM
here (http://www.lacim.uqam.ca/~plouffe/Simon/articlepi.html) is a great link about some pi algorithms. Doesn't go deep into how to implement them, but very informative.

kool_kat_os
August 17th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I do believe that this works

#!/usr/bin/python

from __future__ import division
import copy
import sys
from types import IntType,FloatType,LongType,ListType,TupleType,Inst anceType,ClassType

# set error output to stdout instead
#__errout = sys.stderr
__errout = sys.stdout

#
# Define class contfrac
# Continued Fraction object version 1
#
class contfrac:

def __init__(self,numerator,denominator=0,limit=256,ep silon=2e-9):
self.classname="contfracv1"
# if called by A=contfrac(3.1416)
if denominator==0:
if type(numerator)==IntType or type(numerator)==LongType:
self.num=numerator
self.den=1
self.cf=[numerator]
elif type(numerator)==FloatType:
self.cf = decimal2contfrac(numerator,limit,epsilon)
elif type(numerator)==ListType:
self.cf=copy.copy(numerator)
self.num,self.den=contfrac2rational(numerator)
elif is_contfrac(numerator):
self.num=numerator.num
self.den=numerator.den
self.cf=copy.copy(numerator.cf)
else:
# if all else fails its the devil's number
self.num=666
self.den=1
self.cf=[666]
# if called by A=(2,3)
else:
self.cf = rational2contfrac(long(numerator),long(denominator ))

def __len__(self):
return len(self.cf)

def lid(cfobj):
return lazy_identity(cfobj)

#
# Define class lazy_identity
#
class lazy_identity:

def __init__(self,cf):
self.classname="lazy_identity"
self.cfobj=cf
self.n=0
self.a=0
self.b=1
self.c=1
self.d=0

while 1 :
break
break
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"n=%d len(cfobj)=%d" % (self.n,len(self.cfobj))
if self.n < len(self.cfobj) :
p=self.cfobj.cf[self.n]
self.n=self.n+1
else :
self.n=self.n+1
# out of the while loop
return 'INF'
else:
q=self.a//self.c
return q

#
# Define class lazy_rcf_4onpi
# Lazy connector for 4/pi in regular continued fractions format
# [(1,1),(3,4),(5,9),(7,16),(9,25),(11,36),...]
# (2n+1,(n+1)^2)
#
class lazy_rcf_4onpi:

def __init__(self):
self.classname="lazy_rcf_4onpi"
self.n=0

a= self.n * 2 + 1
b= (self.n + 1) * (self.n + 1)
self.n = self.n + 1
return (a,b)

#
# Define class lazy_rcf2cf
# Lazy connector for turning regular continued fractions
# into standardize continued fractions
#
class lazy_rcf2cf:

def __init__(self,rcf):
self.classname="lazy_rcf2cf"
self.cfobj=rcf
self.a=0
self.b=1
self.c=1
self.d=0

while 1 :
break
break
(p,q)=self.cfobj.egest()
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d=self.b*q,self.a+self.b *p,self.d*q,self.c+self.d*p
# out of the while loop
return 'INF'
else:
q=self.a//self.c
return q

#
# Define class lazy_decimal
#
class lazy_decimal:

def __init__(self,lazycf):
self.classname="lazy_decimal"
self.cfobj=lazycf
self.a=0
self.b=1
self.c=1
self.d=0

while 1 :
break
break
p=self.cfobj.egest()
if p == 'INF' :
else :
# out of the while loop
return 'INF'
else:
r=self.a//self.c
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"egest the number ",r
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d=self.c,self.d,self.a-self.c*r,self.b-self.d*r
# Now calculate the egestion of r2=0 and s2=10
# new_a = c * s2
# new_b = d * s2
# new_c = a - c * r2
# new_d = b - d * r2
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d=self.c*10,self.d*10,se lf.a,self.b
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"after renormalisation a=%d,b=%d,c=%d,d=%d" % (self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d)
return r

#
# Define class lazy_base
# Lazy base for lazy operators
#
class lazy_base:

# if we can then egest a term
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"a=%d,b=%d,c=%d,d=%di,e=%d,f=%d,g=%d,h=%d" % (self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d,self.e,self.f,self.g, self.h)
while 1 :
self.count= self.count + 1
# We need to return INF
break
if self.e <> 0 :
Zoo= self.a // self.e
else:
Zoo='INF'
if self.g <> 0 :
Zoi= self.c // self.g
else:
Zoi='INF'
if self.f <> 0 :
Zio= self.b // self.f
else:
Zio='INF'
if self.h <> 0 :
Zii= self.d // self.h
else:
Zii='INF'
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"Zoo=",Zoo," Zoi=",Zoi," Zio=",Zio," Zii=",Zii
if Zoo <> 'INF' and Zoo == Zoi and Zoi == Zio and Zio == Zii :
break
# Now we must decide which lazy input to ingest from
if Zio == 'INF' or Zoo == 'INF' :
alpha='INF'
else:
alpha=abs(Zio - Zoo)
if Zoi == 'INF' or Zoo == 'INF' :
beta='INF'
else:
beta=abs(Zoi - Zoo)
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"alpha=",alpha," beta=",beta
if alpha=='INF' and beta=='INF' :
if self.count % 2 == 0 :
target='X'
else:
target='Y'
elif alpha=='INF' and beta<>'INF' :
target='X'
elif beta=='INF' and alpha<>'INF' :
target='Y'
elif alpha > beta :
target='X'
else :
target='Y'
if target=='X' :
p=self.X.egest()
if p == 'INF' :
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"term X ingested is INF"
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d,self.e,self.f,self.g,s elf.h=self.b,self.b,self.d,self.d,self.f,self.f,se lf.h,self.h
else :
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"term X ingested is ",p
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d,self.e,self.f,self.g,s elf.h=self.b,self.a + self.b*p,self.d,self.c + self.d * p,self.f,self.e + self.f * p,self.h,self.g + self.h*p
else :
p=self.Y.egest()
if p == 'INF' :
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"term Y ingested is INF"
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d,self.e,self.f,self.g,s elf.h=self.c,self.d,self.c,self.d,self.g,self.h,se lf.g,self.h
else :
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"term Y ingested is ",p
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d,self.e,self.f,self.g,s elf.h=self.c,self.d,self.a+self.c*p,self.b+self.d* p,self.g,self.h,self.e+self.g*p,self.f+self.h*p
# After ingestion
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"after ingestion a=%d,b=%d,c=%d,d=%d,e=%d,f=%d,g=%d,h=%d" % (self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d,self.e,self.f,self.g, self.h)
# out of the while loop
return 'INF'
else:
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"egest the number ",Zoo
# Now calculate the new a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h
self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d,self.e,self.f,self.g,s elf.h=self.e,self.f,self.g,self.h,self.a-self.e*Zoo,self.b-self.f*Zoo,self.c-self.g*Zoo,self.d-self.h*Zoo
if debugflag : print >> __errout,"after egestion a=%d,b=%d,c=%d,d=%d,e=%d,f=%d,g=%d,h=%d" % (self.a,self.b,self.c,self.d,self.e,self.f,self.g, self.h)
return Zoo

#
# Define class lazy_add
# Lazy addition for lazy objects
#
class lazy_add(lazy_base):

self.classname="lazy_add"
self.count=0
self.X=XX
self.Y=YY
self.a=0
self.b=1
self.c=1
self.d=0
self.e=1
self.f=0
self.g=0
self.h=0

#
# Define class lazy_sub
# Lazy subtraction for lazy objects
#
class lazy_sub(lazy_base):

self.classname="lazy_sub"
self.count=0
self.X=XX
self.Y=YY
self.a=0
self.b=1
self.c=-1
self.d=0
self.e=1
self.f=0
self.g=0
self.h=0

#
# Define class lazy_mul
# Lazy multiplication for lazy objects
#
class lazy_mul(lazy_base):

self.classname="lazy_mul"
self.count=0
self.X=XX
self.Y=YY
self.a=0
self.b=0
self.c=0
self.d=1
self.e=1
self.f=0
self.g=0
self.h=0

#
# Define class lazy_div
# Lazy division for lazy objects
#
class lazy_div(lazy_base):

self.classname="lazy_div"
self.count=0
self.X=XX
self.Y=YY
self.a=0
self.b=1
self.c=0
self.d=0
self.e=0
self.f=0
self.g=1
self.h=0

if __name__ == '__main__':
rpi=lazy_rcf_4onpi()
V=lazy_rcf2cf(rpi)
A=lazy_decimal(lazy_div(lid(contfrac(4)),V))
x=1
while 1:
digit=A.egest()
sys.stdout.write(str(digit))
if(x==1):
sys.stdout.write(".")
x=2
sys.stdout.flush()

it does work...i compared the first 20 number's and they were the same...but then i got dizzy looking at all of those numbers...and then started typing this post:)

wenuswilson
August 17th, 2008, 07:01 AM
here (http://www.lacim.uqam.ca/~plouffe/Simon/articlepi.html) is a great link about some pi algorithms. Doesn't go deep into how to implement them, but very informative.

This one is pretty spiffy too. (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PiFormulas.html) I still like the Method of Exhaustion the best. (For the sake of simplicity and Archimedes was one smart guy.)

Lster
August 17th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I'll add this as yet another way of approximating pi:

#This example uses the fact that:
#pi = sqrt(6*(1/1+1/4+1/9+1/16+...))
#It seems quite slow to converge and is probably not the best choice.

one = Decimal(1)
two = Decimal(2)
half = one/two

i = one
pi = 0
while i < 500:
pi += one/i/i
i += one

pi = (6*pi)**half
print pi

jimi_hendrix
August 17th, 2008, 03:47 PM
it does work...i compared the first 20 number's and they were the same...but then i got dizzy looking at all of those numbers...and then started typing this post:)

well that doesnt mean it doesnt work...it just means that after his precision ended the number just got rounded

wenuswilson
August 18th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Alright, I made this in c++. It doesn't really work and I'm not a good programmer by any stretch but, other than that, I can't figure out why I'm not getting things to work. I'm using g++.

1st -- cout doesn't equal Pi.

2nd -- The decimals end after going out 50 places.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/images/equations/PiFormulas/NumberedEquation11.gif

#include <iostream>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <iomanip>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
int i, n;
double Pi = 0;
float x;
cout << "this guys should find pi... key word, should" << endl;
cout << "enter the number of iterations in the summation" << endl;
cin >> i;
for (n = 0; n <= i; n++)
{
x = pow(-1,n) * ( - pow(2,5)/(4*n+1) - 1/(4*n+3) + pow(2,8 )/(10*n+1) - pow(2,6)/(10*n+3) - pow(2,2)/(10*n+5) - pow(2,2)/(10*n+7) + 1/(10*n+9))/ pow(2,(10*n));
Pi = Pi + x;
}
cout << fixed << showpoint << setprecision(100) << Pi / (pow(2,6)) << endl;
return 0;
}

DavidBell
August 18th, 2008, 09:47 AM
@ wenuwilson, Your main problem is you are using floats and doubles, which only have 6 and 15 places precision respectively (pow is also only double too), in order to calculate 50+ places. Just can't be done.

You need to find a high/arbitary precision library to use in their place, it will have approporiate types and functions to go with them.

Sorry can't suggest any as I've never needed more than double.

DB

Lster
August 18th, 2008, 10:04 AM
A very good library for stuff like arbitary integbers, fractions and decimals is GMP:

http://gmplib.org/

Pyro.699
August 18th, 2008, 10:50 AM
well that doesnt mean it doesnt work...it just means that after his precision ended the number just got rounded
It is accurate up to atleast 1000 decimal places of pi, i compaired it with several sites:

http://www.math.utah.edu/~pa/math/pi.html
http://3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 105820974944592.com/

i got up to 600,000 before i stopped the script and every value has matched up with another number.

Lster
August 18th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Isn't it easier to prove it works? ;) That's a nice program by the way, I'll have to have a go at something like that soon. Does computing each digit take the same amount of time or does the program get slower and slower as it has to find later and later digits?

Pyro.699
August 18th, 2008, 11:45 AM
It does get slower and slower as time progresses, im working on something like this program which i must admit i am quite jealous of....

http://home.istar.ca/~lyster/pi.html

it calculated 1mb of pi in under 1 second... and it took me 2 days to get 600kb... so im still improving (also, im using python, something tells me he didnt)

cszikszoy
August 18th, 2008, 12:07 PM
It does get slower and slower as time progresses, im working on something like this program which i must admit i am quite jealous of....

http://home.istar.ca/~lyster/pi.html (http://home.istar.ca/%7Elyster/pi.html)

it calculated 1mb of pi in under 1 second... and it took me 2 days to get 600kb... so im still improving (also, im using python, something tells me he didnt)

Python is too slow for hardcore number crunching like that. Use C++.

See this for example: http://tenser.typepad.com/tenser_said_the_tensor/2006/08/python_vs_perl_.html

He shows that in Python, doing a simple add is 141 times slower than C++. Understandably, Python gets MUCH slower than C++ when you are doing things like adding many fractions together, then multiplying the sum.

Pyro.699
August 18th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I asumed so, im working on getting my gear together to learn C++ but with my first year of university coming up soon and they will be throwing java stuff at us im going to wait a bit to learn it. I wish i knew enough of C++ to modify what i have into much better code.

cszikszoy
August 18th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I asumed so, im working on getting my gear together to learn C++ but with my first year of university coming up soon and they will be throwing java stuff at us im going to wait a bit to learn it. I wish i knew enough of C++ to modify what i have into much better code.

Email me what you have and I'll help you out. I used to tutor and teach C++ at my university, when I was going to school.

wenuswilson
August 18th, 2008, 07:32 PM
@ wenuwilson, Your main problem is you are using floats and doubles, which only have 6 and 15 places precision respectively (pow is also only double too), in order to calculate 50+ places. Just can't be done.

You need to find a high/arbitary precision library to use in their place, it will have approporiate types and functions to go with them.

Sorry can't suggest any as I've never needed more than double.

DB

A very good library for stuff like arbitary integbers, fractions and decimals is GMP:

http://gmplib.org/

Everything all said and done, I should be getting at least 6 decimals for Pi perfect... Right?

My code : 3.14506
Real : 3.14159

I think I'm going to scrap it and move on to something else, thanks for the advice otherwise.

DavidBell
August 18th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Everything all said and done, I should be getting at least 6 decimals for Pi perfect... Right?

That would depend on your value for n, just looking at the formula I would guess you need something like n = 10000 for 5 places, you ont get much better than five places with floats due to cumulative errors.

DB

wenuswilson
August 19th, 2008, 01:05 AM
That would depend on your value for n, just looking at the formula I would guess you need something like n = 10000 for 5 places, you ont get much better than five places with floats due to cumulative errors.

DB

10000000 for n --> 3.14506 ...So...

[Edi] I changed my code from the double to float, same result.

DavidBell
August 19th, 2008, 01:15 PM
You also have a problem with the last term in your formula

pow(2,(10*n))

The range for doubles is about +/-10E350 = approx 2E1000, so any value of n greater than about 100 for that term is going to give a false value (equal to max limit of double). If you use exceptions it should throw an error.

DB

patmos7
July 15th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Hi,

One solution to approximate the value of pi come from the book : Python programming - An introduction to computer science from John Zelle.

You need to sum the terms in the following series:
4/1 - 4/3 + 4/5 - 4/7 + 4/9 - 4/11 + ...

My program to do it is the following:

Hope this helps.

Hi thanks for the elegant code! I am working on the same problem on the tutorial as a newbie!