PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade too vast in size to be downloaded

derif
August 14th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I just installed ubuntu 8.0.4 and the upgrade manager displays a list of over 200+ upgrades more than 250 MB. Cant these upgrades be downloaded and saved somewhere else (linke in a pen-drive)? And later when when I plug my pen-drive, I am able to install all these updates without any difficulty.

meindian523
August 14th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Problems with hard disk space?

issih
August 14th, 2008, 04:05 PM
if you actually installed 8.04 rather than the point release 8.04.1, you could download the latest iso from ubuntu, which should be 8.04.1, then burn that disk and enable it as an apt repository. doing that will get you any upgrades up to .1, but will actually entail a larger download than just letting the update manager do its thing.

Hope that helps

fig_wright
September 7th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I've just spent a day trying to free up enough space to upgrade from gutsy to hardy on a laptop. At first it wanted 3MB more space (I have about 800MB), but everything I removed made the space requirement even bigger. By the time I have 1,300 MB free it wanted an extra 100 MB!

In the end I just uninstalled Openoffice and that freed up enough room to start. The upgrade went fine, and the laptop now has 900 MB free! Clearly there is a requirement for about 500 MB of extra temp space for the packages during install.

Anyway, I then wondered if there was an easier way to avoid this requirement. So, are you saying that less space is used if I had burned hardy to a CD and then somehow upgraded from that CD?

Second, is there a way to use some other partition for the temp upgrade space (of which I have plenty elsewhere)?

Bucky Ball
September 7th, 2008, 04:15 PM
How big is your swap?