PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Question – From Win.XP to Ubuntu 7.0

bbrownatl
August 14th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Just want to make the install process as smooth as possible. I have a computer which is not my main computer at home. Thus, I want to install Ubuntu 7.0. The computer is a regular Dell desktop approx. four years old. Currently runs Windows XP. Is there an installer or a tool that I should use for the installation? Thoughts? Or, do I just boot with Ubuntu. I’ve downloaded the Ubuntu OS to a memory stick. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks I’m looking forward to all the functionality of Ubuntu.

Brian

meindian523
August 14th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Remove Windows or dual boot?You need to burn the Ubuntu OS(I believe the CD image?) to a CD and boot from it.Be sure to burn it as an image,and not as a data CD,and at the lowest speed possible on your burner.

bbrownatl
August 14th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Remove Windows XP and install Ubuntu. At least that’s the plan. So basically, I just download the OS and then burn it? Aftewards, insert into the drive and start up cold to boot from the CD. I guess push F12 upon the Dell logo appearing?

Thanks again for the insight.

meindian523
August 15th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Yup.Only I wouldn't know which key you would press to get into the Boot options on a Dell.