PDA

View Full Version : [other] Extra Battery?

tssgery
August 14th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I'm getting ready to order my Pangolin Performance (today) and have a few questions:

- Is the extra battery a replacement battery, or does it swap into the CD/DVD bay allowing me to run with two batteries concurrently?

- Has anyone tried an SSD drive in any of these systems? It's not crucial that I get one but would like to think about it as a possibility for the future

thomasaaron
August 14th, 2008, 03:22 PM
- Is the extra battery a replacement battery, or does it swap into the CD/DVD bay allowing me to run with two batteries concurrently?

It's a replacement battery.

- Has anyone tried an SSD drive in any of these systems? It's not crucial that I get one but would like to think about it as a possibility for the future

An SSD should work fine. We've not tested with them though.

tssgery
August 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

Any plans to offer a second battery? I'm a road warrior and spend quite a bit of time on airplanes, in meetings, etc...

tssgery
August 14th, 2008, 04:02 PM
BTW... I did just place my order :biggrin:

But, an additional battery would be nice ;)

thomasaaron
August 14th, 2008, 05:08 PM
No, we don't have any plans for a laptop that would accommodate two batteries.

But I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. If you purchase the extra battery, you would use the one in the computer until it is weak and then replace it with your spare battery.

tvrusso
August 14th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Yeah, but then you have to shut down while you swap batteries. With a second battery you'd just get extended run time.

Some laptops have optional battery packs that can take the place of the CD/DVD drive. I've mostly seen (and used) them on ThinkPads.

But there are also aftermarket LiIon batteries that can plug into the AC adapter socket. Perhaps that'll do for the OP? Do a web search on "universal laptop battery" and you'll find any number of them.

tssgery
August 15th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Yeah, but then you have to shut down while you swap batteries. With a second battery you'd just get extended run time.

Some laptops have optional battery packs that can take the place of the CD/DVD drive. I've mostly seen (and used) them on ThinkPads.

But there are also aftermarket LiIon batteries that can plug into the AC adapter socket. Perhaps that'll do for the OP? Do a web search on "universal laptop battery" and you'll find any number of them.

Exactly. Having 2 batteries at the same time is very helpful when I'm not near a power outlet. Again, it's not crucial but having 4-5 hours of charge (like I do with my current Dell) has proven very handy many times.

I'll take a look at the universal batteries, but that's another thing to carry around.