PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black screen when laptop plugged in TV

lambdacore
August 14th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Hey there.
So I have an Aspire 3050, which I really hate, but that is not the point. I also have Ubuntu Hardy.

I like to watch movies and videos on my TV and I used to keep a Windows Vista partition just for that (and AutoCAD). But I thought it was really stupid to eat 15 GB of hard drive for nothing.

Well anyway, when I plug my laptop into my TV with the svideo cable, it kind of works. I can see the desktop on the TV (even though I have to scroll the screen, it does not fit exactly the TV...).

But when I start a movie on the laptop, on the TV there's only a black (or deep blue sometimes, hmmm) screen.

Why the hell?

Also, in order to play video files on the laptop, I have to put it in Fullscreen. Whatever program I'm using (mostly VLC, but I have to fullscreen with Totem and MPlayer too).

Oyoyoy.

lambdacore
August 14th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Well ok.
If I deactivate Compiz-Fusion, I can play video files while not being in fullscreen.
But the videos are still black on the TV.

lambdacore
August 14th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Well I'm sad indeed.

lambdacore
August 14th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Ah well it's ok, I solved it.
Thanks anyway.

I'll just put it here, in case it happens to someone.

First I went in the Settings>Preferences. Check "Advanced options" in the bottom right corner of the window.
Then go under Video>Output modules. In the list to the right, select X11 video output.

Then the video playback was ok even when not in fullscreen.

And this made it work when plugged on the TV.

ANYWAYS.