PDA

View Full Version : Results Day!

Lster
August 14th, 2008, 10:15 AM
So how many people here, like me, are dreading going in to college in just a short while to collect their results?

Myself, I'm not so worried about Maths as I do Further as well and am almost guaranteed an "A". Computer Science and Physics are far more worrying though... I don't know if I'll even get a "C" in Physics! I hope I've done OK! :)

Good luck all!

LaRoza
August 14th, 2008, 10:24 AM
What is the point of having stress after the test?

Relax, unless you believe you can influence the results before receiving them (but after the test was taken/graded), you can do nothing.

shifty2
August 14th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I was just about to post this :)

Got the grades I needed to get myself in warwick next year to do maths - so pretty happy about that.

Let myself down in phys, got 50% in one paper to bring me down from an A to a B :mad: Apart from that I'm pretty happy. Anyone else do step/AEA?

tangibleorange
August 14th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Just went in to get my AS results... AAAB with a B in Government & Politics! that will teach me to turn to the humanities dark-side :P

shifty2
August 14th, 2008, 10:30 AM
What is the point of having stress after the test?

Relax, unless you believe you can influence the results before receiving them (but after the test was taken/graded), you can do nothing.

Surely you must still be nervous going to collect your results. I have pretty much that attitude, but still was bricking it as I went to collect them. What I am doing for the next three years was decided by them, course I'm going to be nervous!

shifty2
August 14th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Just went in to get my AS results... AAAB with a B in Government & Politics! that will teach me to turn to the humanities dark-side :P
If your in Edinburgh, didn't you do scottish highers?

tangibleorange
August 14th, 2008, 10:32 AM
If your in Edinburgh, didn't you do scottish highers?

heh I actually live in Belgium but my hometown is Edinburgh - I go to a British School and do A Levels.

well observed though :P

th3james
August 14th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Congratulations guys, for those of you about to head off to university, have fun!

I've just finished my 3 year comp sci course and I'm quite jealous of what you guys have to look forward to!

Mazza558
August 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Getting my AS results in roughly an hour. I have NO idea how I've done.

Lster
August 14th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I got them (AS results!)!

Maths: A
Further Maths: ?
Computer Science: C
Physics: D

Apparently we don't get our Further Maths results until we complete A2. So I'm having to guess what I've got. Computer Science was a surprise - I took three modules for which and I got A, B and U. The U was on that horrible Peter's Petrol Pump assignment to which my documentation must have not been adequate. :(

And Physics! I'm happy with this one - it is a fair assessment of my physics skills and like of the subject. ;)

tangibleorange
August 14th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I got them (AS results!)!

Maths: A
Further Maths: ?
Computer Science: C
Physics: D

Apparently we don't get our Further Maths results until we complete A2. So I'm having to guess what I've got. Computer Science was a surprise - I took three modules for which and I got A, B and U. The U was on that horrible Peter's Petrol Pump assignment to which my documentation must have not been adequate. :(

And Physics! I'm happy with this one - it is a fair assessment of my physics skills and like of the subject. ;)

OMG i know that Peter's Petrol Pump was so bad. I did mine in Java but it was so rubbish...

Lster
August 14th, 2008, 12:20 PM
The thing that really irritates me about getting a U in that section is: I did actually have a very stable, fully working program that adhered to all specifications. Further, I didn't have any help and it was well documented, but looking back, not in enough detail for an exam. I'm wondering if perhaps I didn't show enough evidence or something - that could of impacted hugely on my marks...

Maybe I should have it remarked?

Mazza558
August 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM
A mixed bag for me.

A(politics) A(eng lit)
B(geog) B(geog) B(sociology) B(sociology)
C(geog) C(gen. studies) C(gen. studies)
D(gen. studies) D(eng lit) D(eng lit) D(politics) D(politics) D(sociology)

So, basically 2 of my subjects are simultaneously my best and worst.

tangibleorange
August 14th, 2008, 12:35 PM
A mixed bag for me.

A(politics) A(eng lit)
B(geog) B(geog) B(sociology) B(sociology)
C(geog) C(gen. studies) C(gen. studies)
D(gen. studies) D(eng lit) D(eng lit) D(politics) D(politics) D(sociology)

So, basically 2 of my subjects are simultaneously my best and worst.

what were your overall grades then? the UMS things confuse me..

Lster
August 14th, 2008, 01:06 PM
A mixed bag for me.

Welcome to the club! :KS

Indeed. I think they are out of 300 or something and the grade boundaries are roughly:

A: 80% -> 240
B: 70% -> 210
C: 60% -> 180
D: 50% -> 150
E: 40% -> 120
U: Anything lower...

Something like that...

Mazza558
August 14th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Geog: Mid-B
Socio: One mark off a B (will be mid-b probably after retake)
Politics: Mid-C (will be easily Mid-B/Low A after retakes)
Eng Lit: Mid-C

That's from UMS grades.

Alasdair
August 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I got the grades I needed to study Computer Science in Sheffield. :KS

Maths - A
Computing/Computer Science (whatever you want to call it) - A
Biology - B

Lster
August 14th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Congrats! :KS Is that at A-Level?

Alasdair
August 14th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks! Those are indeed my A-Level results. I only just scraped that B though - I got a C in every A2 biology module, it's a good thing I did well in AS.

tangibleorange
August 14th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I got the grades I needed to study Computer Science in Sheffield. :KS

Maths - A
Computing/Computer Science (whatever you want to call it) - A
Biology - B

well done!