PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu installation questions

Vitaminc23456
August 14th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Hi, i have a friend who wanted to switch over from windows xp to ubuntu, and he has an AMD Athlon 64 2.2 GHz processor, i read somewhere that there was some trouble recently with the new ubuntu with amd processors. is this true? and if so what can i do to fix it?

iaculallad
August 14th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Hi, i have a friend who wanted to switch over from windows xp to ubuntu, and he has an AMD Athlon 64 2.2 GHz processor, i read somewhere that there was some trouble recently with the new ubuntu with amd processors. is this true? and if so what can i do to fix it?

You heard the wrong info. Why don't you install it and see it yourself. You have the option of either installing the 64-bit version or 32-bit version of Ubuntu Hardy.

Vitaminc23456
August 14th, 2008, 04:59 AM
the problem was like it would install, and then once it got to the user name screen it would just be the baige color, and that would be it nothing more or less. it was real weird sounding

lian1238
August 14th, 2008, 05:01 AM
You can download Ubuntu LiveCD, boot from disk, and test it on his system first. If the new Ubuntu has problems, you can try an older version. Like me, I'm using 7.10, not the latest 8.04.

iaculallad
August 14th, 2008, 05:08 AM
the problem was like it would install, and then once it got to the user name screen it would just be the baige color, and that would be it nothing more or less. it was real weird sounding

The problem you had stated is not related to the processor you just mentioned. What video adapter are you using?

Vitaminc23456
August 14th, 2008, 05:48 AM
ATI RADEON Xpress 200 thats the video card if thats what you are asking for, he has an emachines w3410