PDA

View Full Version : Is this internet plan a rip off?

nerd0795
August 14th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Well... my mom got the Telus internet bill today... wtc? It's twice the price. They had a mistake and charged us twice and they refuse to fix the mistake. Lately even my internet was turning on and off randomly (the internet stops working until we call using the phone. This always happens when I'm in a middle of a round of COD4) So after this we will be switching to another internet provider. Sun Country Cable vision. (This is one of the only where I live. (only telus or Sun country) I was browsing their plans and I found one that I might get.

Home 4.0Mbps / 512Kbps (up to 30GB/mo)
2 Dynamic IP Addresses $39.95
Per Month

I don't really know much about internet an I'm just wondering if this is a good deal? and would an 30GB bandwith limit be too little since I use Youtube alot normally 4 hours a day. I also am a download holic. A gamer and there might be two under this plan. Is this enough. and is this overpriced. I hope this question fit here.

original_jamingrit
August 14th, 2008, 01:56 AM
for the cap; 30 gigs downloaded, uploaded, or both?

nerd0795
August 14th, 2008, 02:01 AM
I think it's both.

Dr Small
August 14th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Geesh. I'd take it. My internet speed is 1.5MBps for 80$/mo, not to mention the 17GB limit download and 8GB limit upload. Gosh, I hate mine.

gletob
August 14th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Geesh. I'd take it. My internet speed is 1.5MBps for 80$/mo, not to mention the 17GB limit download and 8GB limit upload. Gosh, I hate mine.

Wow that sucks where do you live I've got a sweet deal from verizon because they screwed up my phone and intenet for about a month so I have 3 Mbps down for $14.95 month no download cap

Dylock
August 14th, 2008, 03:47 AM
There are two things in the technological world that I still can't believe are around. 1) Bandwidth caps on internet plans 2) Cell phone plans with fixed minutes

If you're going to take that internet plan, check if there are any fees for going over the limit. It would suck to find out one month that you got charged an extra 40 bucks because you went a gb over (I question business that do this kind of thing, even banks if you overdraft on a checking account). Telecoms are dirty crooks I tell ya.

gletob
August 14th, 2008, 03:51 AM
there are two things in the technological world that i still can't believe are around. 1) bandwidth caps on internet plans 2) cell phone plans with fixed minutes

if you're going to take that internet plan, check if there are any fees for going over the limit. It would suck to find out one month that you got charged an extra 40 bucks because you went a gb over (i question business that do this kind of thing, even banks if you overdraft on a checking account). telecoms are dirty crooks i tell ya.

Well how would they EVER make money being honest with a customer ?

original_jamingrit
August 14th, 2008, 03:57 AM
I live with four other students, we had a plan with rogers for $40 and an either-way cap of 80 GB. That lasted a week. Big downloaders. :-P

Now we have basically another $40 plan from a reseller called 3web/CIA. Slower connection, and poorer customer support, but then also there's no caps, so that automatically makes it much better for us.

Try to measure the amount you upload and download for a couple of days, and then guesstimate whether you'd go through 30GB in a month.

And also, why 2 ip addresses? Does that mean you can have two connections at the same time?

Biochem
August 14th, 2008, 04:08 AM
(This is one of the only where I live. (only telus or Sun country)

Are you sure they are your only options. In Canada, phone company are forced to share their infrastructure with independent ISP. If you look around most will have a place to check if the service is available you jusut have to enter your phone number. You could look at www.oricom.ca (I have an unlimited plan with them)

As for the 30Gig a month cap, with you descripiton it might be a little tight. But to be sure can't you look at your previous monthly consumption?

ubuntu27
August 14th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I don't really know much about internet an I'm just wondering if this is a good deal? and would an 30GB bandwith limit be too little since I use Youtube alot normally 4 hours a day. I also am a download holic. A gamer and there might be two under this plan. Is this enough. and is this overpriced. I hope this question fit here.

30 GB per month!? That too little.

One of my ISP (Verizon Wireless) gave us a limited bandwidth of 50 GB.
I used it up in two or three weeks! After that my internet got disconnected ><;

FuturePilot
August 14th, 2008, 05:34 AM
If it's got a bandwidth cap, it's a ripoff. Just my opinion. :)

I mean we have people in Japan with insane download and upload speeds (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=887848) and the ISPs everywhere else are trying to limit the bandwidth? Why? Makes no sense.

kostkon
August 14th, 2008, 05:39 AM
For that money and speed, you should at least get a plan with unlimited bandwidth.

The cap on this plan is low anyway.

lisati
August 14th, 2008, 05:44 AM
ay ay ay, sounds like a lot of us have reason to complain.

For $49.95 (NZ) per month I get a cap (which includes both upload & download) of 6Gb, after which the ISP slows it to "dial-up" speed (usually fractionally faster than what I used to get on dial-up). I just did a speed test, and the results suggest a download of 3868 kbps (483.5KB/sec, good compared to what I sometimes get) and upload of 95 kbps (11.9 KB/sec, yuck, it's slow today!)