PDA

View Full Version : Professor looses it during debate class

swoll1980
August 13th, 2008, 11:11 PM
This guy uses some adult language so use discretion if your at work. This guy has been teaching debate for 20 years, and just completely looses it in the middle of his class. here's the link (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/fhsu-professor-cusses-and-mooning-students-and-teachers-during-debate/3346263400/?icid=VIDLRV04). Funny stuff.

LaRoza
August 13th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Why couldn't things like this happen when I was in school?

swoll1980
August 13th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Why couldn't things like this happen when I was in school?

That's what I'm saying.:)

schauerlich
August 13th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Damn hippies.

LaRoza
August 13th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Damn hippies.

He reminds me of that Ballmer video mixed with RMS...

handy
August 13th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Damn hippies.

Hey, some of my best friends are hippies!

Sealbhach
August 13th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I suppose he could say it was a form of debate. Not very edifying to see people behave like that.

schauerlich
August 13th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Hey, some of my best friends are hippies!

Friends don't let friends stop showering.

kostkon
August 13th, 2008, 11:38 PM
So who's the professor, the woman or the barefoot hippy?! :lolflag::lolflag:

swoll1980
August 13th, 2008, 11:40 PM
How do all those old hippies become professors anyways? You wouldn't think they'd be a good interview

LaRoza
August 13th, 2008, 11:42 PM
So who's the professor, the woman or the barefoot hippy?!

I was confused also, but I think it is the male.

How do all those old hippies become professors anyways?

Politicians too.

You see, they spend their free time protesting governments and universities and being "free" then realised they can't do that forever and went into government and universities for money.

ghindo
August 13th, 2008, 11:45 PM
That video just makes me cringe in embarrassment for those two.

EDIT: Jeez, it just makes me feel worse when the guy starts crying.

swoll1980
August 13th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I was confused also, but I think it is the male.

Politicians too.

You see, they spend their free time protesting governments and universities and being "free" then realised they can't do that forever and went into government and universities for money.

If you can't beat them, join them.

ghindo
August 13th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Found his blog: http://www.everydaycitizen.com/billshanahan/

EDIT: I'd be really curious what events led up to all of this. It sounds like the woman the professor was yelling at was a debate judge or something.

handy
August 14th, 2008, 12:14 AM
From the outside that was really funny.

The guy with the pony tail pretending to be a kangaroo was great.

Of course my sober self says that it was a most unfortunate incident that may have had long lasting effects on the young students in the room.

:lolflag:

zmjjmz
August 14th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I want this to happen at my school :(

LaRoza
August 14th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I want this to happen at my school :(

Maybe he will start touring.

swoll1980
August 14th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I just rewatched looking for the most ironic thing he siad, and I came up with "It's not about listening to 4 people talk about race, it's about how you carry yourself."

adamogardner
August 14th, 2008, 12:51 AM
How do all those old hippies become professors anyways? You wouldn't think they'd be a good interview

Actually, I give an excellent interview. The kids, haha I laugh with them.
This lady, totally provoked him, Public humiliation is something to be met with fierce rebuttals, but he made an jerk of himself with the stomping, and bad language. He could have stifled her and won back the esteem of the audience by meeting the challenge more positively.

fissionmailed
August 14th, 2008, 02:56 AM
People getting dramatic, that's all it is.

Rainstride
August 14th, 2008, 03:34 AM
i wounder exactly what was said that caused that whole thing.

LaRoza
August 14th, 2008, 03:37 AM

"Why I use KDE..."

KWM987
August 14th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Yeah, That's a reasonable reaction...

Rainstride
August 14th, 2008, 04:09 AM
"Why I use KDE..."

sounds reasonable.:)

swoll1980
August 14th, 2008, 04:21 AM

The debate itself was about race relation, and had a history for causing some flames.

August 14th, 2008, 04:38 AM
"Why I use KDE...":lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

LaRoza, I award you over 9000 internets for that comment!

( Laughing that much with a broke rib realy hurts. :lolflag: )

Rainstride
August 14th, 2008, 04:40 AM
oh, i was to distracted by the crazed hippy. though it was hard to not notice one of the black guys behind the camera crying.
people put to much importance in words.

ghindo
August 14th, 2008, 07:26 AM
"Why I use KDE..."I'll admit, I laughed :)

grossaffe
August 14th, 2008, 10:11 AM
... so who won the debate?

starcannon
August 14th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Thats an epic blow out.

mips
August 14th, 2008, 11:20 AM
"Why I use KDE..."

Please lets not start unless you want a similair situation like the video ;)

LaRoza
August 14th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Please lets not start unless you want a similair situation like the video ;)

If you see my first post, I want a situation like the video! :-)

DrMega
August 14th, 2008, 11:48 AM
This guy uses some adult language so use discretion if your at work. This guy has been teaching debate for 20 years, and just completely looses it in the middle of his class. here's the link (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/fhsu-professor-cusses-and-mooning-students-and-teachers-during-debate/3346263400/?icid=VIDLRV04). Funny stuff.

I think the crazy bearded man should have got a round of applause. It was refreshing to see someone have the guts to stand in front of a room full of people and cut straight to the point. Like he kept saying, people often come into a debate to compete, rather than to be enlightened. We see that from time to time on this very forum when really the whole point of debate is get all points of view out into the open with the goal of coming away more enlightened than when you went in.

LaRoza
August 14th, 2008, 11:52 AM
It was refreshing to see someone have the guts to stand in front of a room full of people and cut straight to the point.

We need more great mooners...

DrMega
August 14th, 2008, 12:03 PM
We need more great mooners...

Ok, his method of expressing his feelings was slightly unprofessional but profs are often a bit eccentric, I think eccentricity is a side effect of being too clever. All those hours reading probably does it.

LaRoza
August 14th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Ok, his method of expressing his feelings was slightly unprofessional but profs are often a bit eccentric, I think eccentricity is a side effect of being too clever. All those hours reading probably does it.

"slightly"?

I really couldn't understand him at the time (had sound issues and had to use low volume)

DrMega
August 14th, 2008, 12:07 PM
"slightly"?

I really couldn't understand him at the time (had sound issues and had to use low volume)

Well between the moonies and the cursing, he was expressing his contempt that folks had came to a debate about an issue that he cares passionately about, when they don't care about anything but "winning or losing".

LaRoza
August 14th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Well between the moonies and the cursing, he was expressing his contempt that folks had came to a debate about an issue that he cares passionately about, when they don't care about anything but "winning or losing".

I go to debates to learn. Winning is easy, violent, but easy.

DrMega
August 14th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I go to debates to learn. Winning is easy, violent, but easy.

In the UK we have a TV show called "Question Time" where supposedly ordinary folks go to ask questions of a panel of politicians. It is amusing to watch because all the questions are deliberately awkward for at least one member of the panel while at the same time being welcomed by at least one other of the panel. The inevitably result being that at least one member of the panel squirms while the rest all gang up on him/her, and a few minutes of arguing results. Then when it calms down, the next question is taken and it all starts up again.

billgoldberg
August 14th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Haha.

Why couldn't this happen when I was in school.

I would be bursting out in laughter when seeing those two.

chucky chuckaluck
August 14th, 2008, 12:47 PM
maybe we can get him to post in ponies. lord knows, we could sure use someone unreasonable around here.

HotShotDJ
August 14th, 2008, 01:07 PM
How do all those old hippies become professors anyways?By spending 4 to 6 years in graduate school to earn a Ph.D., writing scholarly papers which are published in peer-reviewed journals as well as a book-length doctoral dissertation. THEN, they spend several years working as a post-doctoral fellow. Once they get a position in a University, it takes another 7 to 10 years of hard work, including regular publication, to receive tenure. By the way, this list is the MINIMUM requirement. Most professors do much more.

Those "hippies" work extremely hard for their positions within the strict meritocracy of academia. If you think it's easy, I'd love to see you try it yourself.

HotShotDJ
August 14th, 2008, 01:11 PM
maybe we can get him to post in ponies. lord knows, we could sure use someone unreasonable around here.Right. Because a single incident, shown out of context on the intertubes is proof of the incompetence and/or unreasonableness of an individual.

Think of the dumbest thing you've ever said or done. Now, imagine it being broadcast on YouTube and being used to decide what kind of person YOU are and if you are competent to perform your job... for the rest of your life.

chucky chuckaluck
August 14th, 2008, 01:12 PM
it was the mirage of tenure's apparent impregnability that lured the starry eyed professor into a false sense of invunerable righteousness. blame it on 'the man' (the academic one, of course).

swoll1980
August 14th, 2008, 03:43 PM
By spending 4 to 6 years in graduate school to earn a Ph.D., writing scholarly papers which are published in peer-reviewed journals as well as a book-length doctoral dissertation. THEN, they spend several years working as a post-doctoral fellow. Once they get a position in a University, it takes another 7 to 10 years of hard work, including regular publication, to receive tenure. By the way, this list is the MINIMUM requirement. Most professors do much more.

Those "hippies" work extremely hard for their positions within the strict meritocracy of academia. If you think it's easy, I'd love to see you try it yourself.

Never said it was easy. I Just think it's ironic that's all. When you think of a bunch of hippies touring the US doing drugs, singing songs, and having sex with anything that moves, you don't look at it like they're going to be professors some day. They just don't seem like the type, lighten up.

rune0077
August 14th, 2008, 04:48 PM
When you think of a bunch of hippies touring the US doing drugs, singing songs, and having sex with anything that moves, you don't look at it like they're going to be professors some day.

I thought that was what professors did :)

hosk
August 14th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I personally think it would be hard to take a guy seriously who hasn't had a decent haircut or shave in 8 years. Until he goes off like that, and drops trou in front of a video camera and a room full of people. Then it's impossible.

cristo-father
August 14th, 2008, 04:59 PM
In the end, what matters is that he finds it.
I would be tragic if he did not find it.

swoll1980
August 14th, 2008, 05:30 PM
In the end, what matters is that he finds it.
I would be tragic if he did not find it.

Find what?

cristo-father
August 14th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Find what?
One day you will figure it out. :lolflag:

clinux
August 14th, 2008, 05:42 PM
How is that woman any better than him? She started all this, with her "f***ing ..., f***ing ..., f***ing ...".
Not quite the best university.

LaRoza
August 14th, 2008, 05:43 PM
How is that woman any better than him? She started all this, with her "f***ing ..., f***ing ..., f***ing ...".

She wasn't the instructor?

+Eric
August 14th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Haha.

Why couldn't this happen when I was in school.

I would be bursting out in laughter when seeing those two.

I know, if I was in that class and that guy pulled his pants down, I would have not been able to control myself.... That's too funny.

LaRoza
August 14th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I know, if I was in that class and that guy pulled his pants down, I would have not been able to control myself.... That's too funny.

Thank God for digital video recording...

rossjman1
August 15th, 2008, 03:22 AM
After watching the video, I am unsure about how this whole thing started. It calmed down for a while, and then the black woman provoked the professor. Because of that (and my experience with obnoxious black people) I have to say I'm siding with the professor on this one.

Woormy
August 15th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Debate lesson #1. As soon as your pants come down, you've lost.

Ripfox
August 15th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Why does everyone in this thread assume because the man has long hair he is a "hippie"?

I know plenty of bikers with long hair and various other types of people with long hair that are not even close to hippies. Oh, and another thing, do you assume all "hippies" think alike and are peaceful 24/7?

Come on there people :lolflag:

swoll1980
August 15th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Why does everyone in this thread assume because the man has long hair he is a "hippie"?

I know plenty of bikers with long hair and various other types of people with long hair that are not even close to hippies. Oh, and another thing, do you assume all "hippies" think alike and are peaceful 24/7?

Come on there people :lolflag:

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like one.................

zmjjmz
August 16th, 2008, 01:26 AM
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like one.................

It could be an electronic duck.

chucky chuckaluck
August 16th, 2008, 03:00 AM
She wasn't the instructor?

she is prof. shanara reid-brinkley, a debating coach from the university of pittsburgh. according to one site, she was angry at shanahan for dropping her as a judge, claiming he dropped her because she's black.

starcannon
August 16th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Ah that'd explain why he went ape, I'd probably be pretty irate to if someone accused me of making a decision based on race.

lisati
August 16th, 2008, 03:09 AM
according to one site, she was angry at shanahan for dropping her as a judge, claiming he dropped her because she's black.

There are people out there who throw out lines like that even when the claims not justified. Sometimes it's just a ploy to shift the blame and focus away from someone who got dropped simply because they weren't up to doing the job they were supposed to do.

chucky chuckaluck
August 16th, 2008, 03:15 AM
from - http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/08/14/national/main4350183.shtml

In the video, Reid-Brinkley criticized Shanahan for his body language while the students were debating. Shanahan protested throughout the fight that he had a right to be involved in the course of debates.

was he signing, i wonder.

Fort Hays academic officer Larry Gould said Reid-Brinkley accused the Fort Hays team of dropping her as a judge because she is black. Gould said the school is also investigating the "racial element" to the episode.

chucky chuckaluck
August 16th, 2008, 03:31 AM
my favorite headline from this incident - "debate coach puts the butt in rebuttal". i love stuff like that.

swoll1980
August 16th, 2008, 03:41 AM
There are people out there who throw out lines like that even when the claims not justified. Sometimes it's just a ploy to shift the blame and focus away from someone who got dropped simply because they weren't up to doing the job they were supposed to do.

Playing the race card is as old as politics.

LaRoza
August 16th, 2008, 12:00 PM
she is prof. shanara reid-brinkley, a debating coach from the university of pittsburgh. according to one site, she was angry at shanahan for dropping her as a judge, claiming he dropped her because she's black.

That is interesting. Either way it shows a lack of professionalism. I had an instructor who was a retired DEA agent (they were called "cowboys" by the FBI, which shows how (at the time) they acted). He has gotten very angry at some people, but has always known to walk away. Those two, if they are truly professors, are very uncontrolled.

Now the claim she made is very serious, however, given both of their conducts I think it is all emotional.