PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question for Users with the Pre-Installed Laptops

iaskedalice09
August 13th, 2008, 09:45 PM
When you updated from Gutsy to Hardy, did the Internet keep working?

I'm posting from a Dell dimension 8200 that's dying. I just bought a basic inspiron laptop last night. In October when its time to update, will the internet and webcam still work?

Thanks!!!

bobbob1016
August 13th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Long answer: By internet, I'm guessing you mean wifi? I have a non-preinstalled Ubuntu computer and it still works. It isn't that upgrading erases your wifi outright, it is that older methods of getting wifi working might be outdated, or not needed anymore, since the wifi support gets better and better. If it works now, without hacking around, or using ndiswrapper or something complicated, it should continue to work through an upgrade. Since the Ubuntu pre-installed computers come with working wifi, it should continue to work, not 100% sure, but 90-95%, and they should have good support to get it working if it doesn't work.

Short answer: It SHOULD, since they usually use well supported cards, and it is unusual for them to take away support for a card via an upgrade.

iaskedalice09
August 13th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks! Yah I meant wifi and specifically support for the wifi card.

starcannon
August 13th, 2008, 10:59 PM
When you updated from Gutsy to Hardy, did the Internet keep working?

I'm posting from a Dell dimension 8200 that's dying. I just bought a basic inspiron laptop last night. In October when its time to update, will the internet and webcam still work?

Thanks!!!

I lost the webcam when I upgraded to 8.04, computer is a Dell 1420n Laptop that shipped with ubuntu preinstalled.

iaskedalice09
August 14th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I ordered a 1525n

iaskedalice09
August 14th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Did you find a fix for it? In other words, specifically asking about the webcam for 1525n's.

iaskedalice09
August 14th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Though...it might be the same.