Exsecrabilus
August 13th, 2008, 09:27 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/intrepid/alpha4

It doesn't exist yet, but look where the "Referring Page" links to. O.o

Steveway
August 13th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I don't know what you mean:

Referring Page: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=888974
That is this thread, as it should be. So what?

Exsecrabilus
August 13th, 2008, 09:31 PM
It links to where you previously were. I think. Lol I spammed. :(

null byte
August 13th, 2008, 09:33 PM
:)) Link corruption or what? Nice but useless bug.

Exsecrabilus
August 13th, 2008, 09:36 PM
For some reason the "Referring Page" redirects to this topic even when I'm using a different web browser on a different computer.

picpak
August 13th, 2008, 09:39 PM
echo $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'];

It's just showing where you came from, probably for testing purposes.

Exsecrabilus
August 13th, 2008, 09:44 PM
echo $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'];

It's just showing where you came from, probably for testing purposes.
OK, thanks. But what about when I got onto a different computer with a different browser, it still redirected to this topic?

picpak
August 13th, 2008, 09:46 PM
OK, thanks. But what about when I got onto a different computer with a different browser, it still redirected to this topic?

The computer or browser is regardless; it still prints the page you previously came from.

lukjad
August 13th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Sorry to interrupt but...
Irregardless is NOT a word. There is NO such word. It's like dethaw. It sound OK until you try and figure out the meaning. The word you were looking for is regardless.

Carry on.

Exsecrabilus
August 13th, 2008, 09:57 PM
The computer or browser is irregardless; it still prints the page you previously came from.
.....oh, I forgot to mention I have never visited Ubuntu Forums on that computer and I directly typed in that address bar of the different browser "ubuntu.com/testing/intrepid/alpha4." And still, it linked to the Ubuntu Forums topic which I never visited.

finer recliner
August 13th, 2008, 10:05 PM
.....oh, I forgot to mention I have never visited Ubuntu Forums on that computer and I directly typed in that address bar of the different browser "ubuntu.com/testing/intrepid/alpha4." And still, it linked to the Ubuntu Forums topic which I never visited.

obviously a case of witchcraft.

when i click the link in the OP, the referrer link points back to this thread. when i copy/paste the link in a new browser window, i get an empty space where referrer link should be -- exactly how it should work.

lisati
August 13th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Irregardless is NOT a word. There is NO such word. It's like dethaw. It sound OK until you try and figure out the meaning. The word you were looking for is regardless.

Carry on.
I concur: I've only ever encountered "irregardless" once or twice before, and it annoys me. Drop the "ir" from the start, just say "regardless", and I'll understand what is being said without being annoyed.

EDit #1: in the original context, "immaterial" might be better than "irregardless" or "regardless"
edit #2: I clicked on the link and the page opened up in a new tab with a blank referring URL

picpak
August 13th, 2008, 10:17 PM

Carry on.

That's what I originally put but I thought it was wrong...shows how much I know :lolflag:

original_jamingrit
August 13th, 2008, 10:20 PM
It's called the Referring Page, because that is the page which referred you to that dead end.

Can be explained here http://www.designplace.org/tutorials.php?page=1&c_id=28

Useful in case you found a dead link that was supposed to be active, and are too lazy to use the back button :-P (or you opened in a new tab using middle click and can't go back).

Also useful if you want to know where most of the traffic on your webapage comes from.

lukjad
August 13th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Don't worry. I like you the way you are. *Big Sappy Grin* :razz: