PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install Ubuntu on Zepto Titan A15

E-mol
August 13th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I have a wierd problem. :confused:

I have tried installing Ubuntu 8.04 on my girlfriends laptop. But every time i try, the linux-kernel is loaded, the Ubuntu-logo shows, the bar begins moving, and then freeze. I have tried the Ubuntu 8.04 live cd, when it starts up, it acts just like the installation.
I have tried Kubuntu 8.04 and openSUSE 10.3 too, no succes. Kubuntu acts just like Ubuntu (of course) and openSUSE couldn't even load the linux-kernel.
I have tried Ubuntu 5.04 install and there the screen is showing a lot of stripes, right from the beginning. The same happens with Ubuntu 5.04 live cd.
I have tried SLAX while it was loading it freeze after these lines:

isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: No Plug & Play device found

I have tried Knoppix (thinks it was 8.3) too, and that works.
The last thing i have tried was installing Ubuntu 8.04 with:

acpi=off
noapic
nolapic
edd=on

Then the installation works, but when i restart my computer it freezes in the screen with the Ubuntu-logo, look exactly like under the installation.

The computers specifications is:

Intel Core DUO T2330 1,6 GHz 53
2GB (1x2GB) DDR2 PC5300 667MHZ
667MHz
250GB SATA 2,5" 5400 RPM
DVD-RW DL 6xx4W/6xx5WD/2xx5W
Sis Mirage 3+ 256MB (Shared)

I'm pretty new to linux, (a little month) and only have one friend using Linux, so please, be gentle ;)

Hope someone out there can help :)

spiderbatdad
August 13th, 2008, 10:19 PM
those boot options you used that allowed for a successful installation need to be added to the /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
The first reboot after installation, you will need to use the f6 option again. Then after the system boots run:
gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu intrepid (development branch), kernel 2.6.26-5-server
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-5-server root=UUID=#'s ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-5-server
quiet
savedefault
Scroll down to this section, and where quiet splash is highlighted, above, delete quiet splash and add your kernel options. There are other suggestions as well, such as adding you options under kopt further up in the file, but I find this method is more reliable. You might also want to set the value savedefault=true, just above this section.

E-mol
August 14th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Is the kernel options these things i set on by f6?

cariboo
August 14th, 2008, 10:11 PM
HAve you tried booting in safe graphics mode? To do this hit F4 at the menu screen and highlight Safe Graphics mode then hit enter you should be on your way to starting the LiveCD.

Jim

E-mol
August 14th, 2008, 11:40 PM
No matter, i tried, with luck :)

Thank you so much for the help :)

hkb
August 31st, 2008, 11:21 AM
those boot options you used that allowed for a successful installation need to be added to the /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
The first reboot after installation, you will need to use the f6 option again. Then after the system boots run:
gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu intrepid (development branch), kernel 2.6.26-5-server
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-5-server root=UUID=#'s ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-5-server
quiet
savedefault
Scroll down to this section, and where quiet splash is highlighted, above, delete quiet splash and add your kernel options. There are other suggestions as well, such as adding you options under kopt further up in the file, but I find this method is more reliable. You might also want to set the value savedefault=true, just above this section.

I have the same problem on the same laptop and the same hardware but i cant get this to work? How do i enter the terminal before booting or do you do this from the live CD?

hkb
August 31st, 2008, 03:50 PM
double

E-mol
September 1st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Press F6 just after the BIOS-splash :)

That did it for me. (Kepp on pressing as an insane, just to be sure :P ;) )

hkb
September 4th, 2008, 06:00 PM
hmm. i cant get it to work. i'm tapping the F6 button like insane but nothing is happening. I even tried it on my other laptop wich already works fine with ubuntu. but i cant get anything to happen on any of the computers ubuntu just loads and doesent care about anything.

velmont
March 24th, 2009, 12:49 PM
hmm. i cant get it to work. i'm tapping the F6 button like insane but nothing is happening. I even tried it on my other laptop wich already works fine with ubuntu. but i cant get anything to happen on any of the computers ubuntu just loads and doesent care about anything.

Still a problem?

I want to buy this computer to run Ubuntu on it...