PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Horrible Ethernet Performance

zaarch
August 13th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Been using Ubuntu server and desktop version at home over wifi and ethernet.

Moving my office machine to ubuntu as well.

Ethernet network performance is just horrible, windows machines (at work) are 2 to 4 times faster in downloads and uploads. [ at home its a different story, ubuntu internet speeds are much faster than mac or windows machines)

but at work its like having a dail up...even ..text pages..take time to load..

any ideas what could you be causing such a slow down? I am totally clueless..everything that i can think of is working as it should.

Cresho
August 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM
your post is a little confusing to me but could it be that some of your wifi's are usb? if so, then it is 1.0 spec usb and your pushing wifi through it. Anyway, good luck.

zaarch
August 13th, 2008, 08:12 PM
sorry mate for the confusing text.

at work - data speeds for dedicated cat5 ethernet is extremely painfully slow like i said before..almost as bad as dail up..

and this is situation at work is what i need to rectify.

So any ideas, cresho ?

zaarch
August 13th, 2008, 10:43 PM
come on linux guru's help a fella out!

zaarch
August 13th, 2008, 11:11 PM
So i just installed Hardy on other old laptop ..lshw on that laptops shows its NIC to be rated at 100Mbps

where as the desktop that I am having an issue with has a NIC rated at 1Gbps

however the same file being downloaded over ethernet.. my desktop gets up 3-4 kbps...where as the older laptop was downloading at 457 Mbps!!

what is happening here..why..am i getting an issue on my desktop..???

zaarch
August 15th, 2008, 01:02 AM
bump* please help.

Cresho
August 15th, 2008, 06:12 AM
probably administration will need to hook you up at your job. who set up the windows machine at work? if you can find out, then you will most likely find your answer with him.

zaarch
August 18th, 2008, 09:35 PM
haha solved...finally browsing and downloading speeds...of over 1.5 Mbps yahoo!!!

and this how i did ..it...

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/extremely-slow-internet-in-ubuntu-804

if for some reason the link stops working ..google "speedup ubuntu"