PDA

View Full Version : Komputers 4 Kids

zachtib
November 11th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I needed something to occupy my time during my semester off from school, so I thought, what better way than by helping to spread linux. So I started this:
http://www.komputers-4-kids.org

basically, i'm collecting old / used computer parts, using those to build full computers, and then installing Ubuntu and giving the PC's to charities, childrens' homes, etc.

what do you guys think?

teaker1s
November 11th, 2005, 03:56 PM
sounds a productive idea as long as you realise you could end up providing support for every pc-what about seeing if you can hook up with another organisation.
I'd suggest that you offer the computers with a disclaimer stating that it's supplied as is and if possible have each item checked for electrical safety with a pat tester.

not sure about where you live but uk you would want to become either not for profit company or a charity

Great idea and good luck,could you team up with your school and other students to provide this service?

zachtib
November 11th, 2005, 04:02 PM
as for the support, one of the big parts of this project is teaching the kids how to use the computers, so for each organization that i give a computer to, i'll be going out there maybe once a week or every other week to work on the computers. also I'm trying to get some of my friends to help out, and the Linux User Group at my school would probably be willing to help out as well.

At the moment, i Have 3 pentium 3 500mhz computers coming in to kick off the project

Brunellus
November 11th, 2005, 04:24 PM
so the question is...how long it'll be before they take your computer, and find someone to wipe ubuntu and put a pirate windows install on it.

Mr. Electric Wizard
November 11th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Why not put Edu-Buntu on it instead, if they are really for Kids?

nsa_767
November 11th, 2005, 04:38 PM
That's a great idea, but I hope you've planned things properly, because what your attempting is no small task!

Also, it would be a shame if you only worked on this during your break... You need involve more people than only yourself and it might well be a good idea to hook up with another organisation.

Moreover, you need to consider some legal aspects (as mentioned before)... Even good people with such noble intention can get sued.

Good luck!

BWF89
November 11th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Sounds like a great idea but could you change the name of your project to "Computers for Kids". I can't stand it when people use K instead of C and 4 instead of for.

Brunellus
November 11th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Sounds like a great idea but could you change the name of your project to "Computers for Kids". I can't stand it when people use K instead of C and 4 instead of for.
unless he intends to use Kubuntu, whereupon KDE Kompels him to Kontinue using as many Ks as he Kan

Wolveen
November 11th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Way to go!
I think that is noble.

Concerns:
1- Legal Junk
2- Scale of the project

1) I would ask around for an attorney who would like to help you cover all your bases (Tax write offs for donatees to Legal software issues), maybe you can find an attorney that would be willing to help for free. America is a very litigous society. As they say "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

2) Sounds like you have your local LUG helping out too, which will help take some burden off of your college schedule. Hopefully more of the community will also pitch in, as we know computers can be fickle especially when you add users to the mix.

--I also agree about the 'K' thing, its something for children and so should be spelled correctly. (Yeah Yeah Toys 'R' Us etc)

But I like the idea on many levels.

teaker1s
November 11th, 2005, 06:10 PM
how about having a hire contract where the fee is nil and the computer is provided indefinatly provided it used say at least 1 day per week excluding holidays etc and the os isn't changed and you will supply support subject to avalibility. If either side defaults the computer is returned and neither party has any liability.

which basically means if they wipe ubuntu you get the pc back and if they don't make good use of it it goes back

zachtib
November 11th, 2005, 06:21 PM
all good ideas, as for the name, it basically came down to which of my ideas i could get a domainname for. most of them were already bought up by people that just buy domainnames in hopes that someone else wants them, then offers to sell them for ridiculous prices. Interestingly enough, after i settled on "Komputers 4 Kids" i found a guy online in the UK doing basically the same thing with the same name (though i dont know what OS he was using)

As for edubuntu, what are the differences between it and ubuntu, and how do i install it (i assume do a server install, then apt-get install edubuntu-desktop)?

majikstreet
November 11th, 2005, 07:00 PM
this sounds great :P

drizek
November 11th, 2005, 07:12 PM
there is an edubuntu iso like there is ubuntu and kubuntu.

Mr. Electric Wizard
November 11th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Yup.
http://releases.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/5.10/

zachtib
November 11th, 2005, 07:29 PM
ok, thanks, ill look into it

benplaut
November 11th, 2005, 07:42 PM
go Kentucky! w00t!

if i was still there, i'd help ya out, but good luck with this... it's a great idea