PDA

View Full Version : Change Wallpapers, Mega Ultra GUI.

Pages : [1] 2

DoctorMO
August 13th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Hey guys,

Due to "customer" demand I've quickly put together a gui and crontab python libs for setting auto changing wallpapers. See screenshot attached for demo.

You need to install 3 debs, 2 python libs and one app. It'll put a menu item in your system > preferences folder for you to configure it.

This is new, so report bugs here: https://code.launchpad.net/gnome-wallchanger

Download via PPA here: https://launchpad.net/~doctormo/+archive

DeadSuperHero
August 13th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Pretty innovative idea! I'd like to see this for KDE!

joshdudeha
August 13th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Looks good man (:

Um.. did you spell DeviantArt : DiviantArt? lol

DoctorMO
August 13th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Um.. did you spell DeviantArt : DiviantArt? lol

Yes, although spellings are something I want corrected... I'm more interested in getting someone to _try_ it ;-)

Ub1476
August 13th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I'm trying it now, set it to change Walls from my ~/Picture folder, every 1 min. 10 seconds after I closed it (you might put an "Apply" and "Stop" button) it changed the wall. Now it did it again. Probably one minute after the second.. Works fine with this simple test at least. I don't feel like shutting my comp off so I wont test that :)

EDIT:

Deviantart works fine too.
OK, when I set it to GNOME, it takes pics from Appearance. Is this correct, or is it suppose to be from gnome art?

EDIT2:
Now it used the two same pics in three turns (1-2-1). That can't be right.

DoctorMO
August 13th, 2008, 06:57 PM
when I set it to GNOME, it takes pics from Appearance. Is this correct, or is it suppose to be from gnome art?

That is correct, gnome art doesn't have rss feeds or anything to really do this sort of thing with. If you know of a good wallpaper site with rss feeds I'll happily add it.

Now it used the two same pics in three turns (1-2-1). That can't be right.

It is random, and the sample size is not always huge, for instance in the gnome-wallpapers there are typically 5 images. and the rss feeds generally only get 20 or so samples.

kaivalagi
August 13th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Great idea

I am trying to install through apt, after adding your ppa repo to my sources.list, but it isn't working for me.

I am running hardy 64 bit, and I think you only have the packages defined as 32bit in your repo, although your attachments are for all architectures...

Is there a simple setting you can update for your repo packages?

Thanks

DoctorMO
August 13th, 2008, 07:40 PM
All signs point all arch setup in all the packages... unknown reason why the builds are specific.

anyone know?

kaivalagi
August 13th, 2008, 08:15 PM
All signs point all arch setup in all the packages... unknown reason why the builds are specific.

anyone know?

Apologies, it must have been me...must have been a typo on my part :oops:

Although it does only show up as an i386 build in PPA, I found it just fine through synaptic and it installed without issue...

I'll let you know how I get on...

DoctorMO
August 13th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Although it does only show up as an i386 build in PPA, I found it just fine through synaptic and it installed without issue...

Not a suprise, their all PurePython(tm) so they don't require any specific arch.

kaivalagi
August 13th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Well, works nicely...good job

The only option that would be nice would be when using deviantart images, to have the ability to either keep or delete old images that have been used. Over time there will be quite a lot of space used, potentially on images that no one wants to keep

Thanks for the app, much appreciated, I'll be using it from now on :)

lukjad
August 13th, 2008, 08:55 PM
The local folder choice didn't work though. The rest is working beautifully. Thanks!

DoctorMO
August 13th, 2008, 09:50 PM
The local folder choice didn't work though. The rest is working beautifully. Thanks!

Patched in 2.1 version (see PPA or download again)

to have the ability to either keep or delete old images that have been used

I had a checkbox for that already, since it would deplete a folders wallpapers over time if used with the folder setting. But I trust users to know what their doing. See the new version.

kaivalagi
August 13th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I had a checkbox for that already, since it would deplete a folders wallpapers over time if used with the folder setting. But I trust users to know what their doing. See the new version.

Thanks

graabein
August 13th, 2008, 11:25 PM
That is correct, gnome art doesn't have rss feeds or anything to really do this sort of thing with. If you know of a good wallpaper site with rss feeds I'll happily add it.

Nice work DoctorMo!

How about adding:

http://www.socwall.com/php/rss_RecentWPs.php
http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_beta/rss/

As rss feeds?

Barrucadu
August 14th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Works great, I've packaged it for Arch (I also needed to package python-moxml-config and python-crontab to get it to work).

master5o1
August 14th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Pretty innovative idea! I'd like to see this for KDE!

KDE 4.1 has changing backgrounds

DoctorMO
August 14th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Version 2.2, just put it on my PPA and updated the package attached to this thread.

How about adding:

* http://www.socwall.com/php/rss_RecentWPs.php
* http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_beta/rss/

I enabled the rss widgets so you can put socwall.com in as the rss url and it'll work. But interfacelist isn't an image rss feed and the links in the rss feed go to html pages not images. (I had to create a special lister class for deviantart since that works in a similar way)

I've also improved the gui a lot so you can tell what the directories are for and I think it looks much cleaner.

the remove old checkbox now old effects stuff that's been downloaded.

couple of fixes for urls with spaces and such. (have a look at the updated screenshot for wow)

tubasoldier
August 14th, 2008, 04:07 AM
KDE 4.1 has changing backgrounds

So does KDE 3. But it doesn't download automatically which is what this is all about.

DoctorMO
August 14th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I've posted an update to 2.3, fixed cron bugs and a few other things (icon ect)

Thank you to all those helping with testing, I can hopefully have this all wrapped up today and not need to edit it again.

firefeather
August 14th, 2008, 06:11 AM
That is correct [it uses Gnome appearance prefs], gnome art doesn't have rss feeds or anything to really do this sort of thing with. If you know of a good wallpaper site with rss feeds I'll happily add it.

It is random, and the sample size is not always huge, for instance in the gnome-wallpapers there are typically 5 images. and the rss feeds generally only get 20 or so samples.

So I tested it after removing some wallpapers I didn't care to have in the rotation, but one or two of those still rotated through; my guess is that I'd need to end my session before those aren't in the rotation. Is that correct?

DoctorMO
August 14th, 2008, 09:51 AM
No, you'd need to just remove the from the source; so if it's a folder just delete the files. if it's gnome then remove the entries.

firefeather
August 14th, 2008, 03:58 PM
No, you'd need to just remove the from the source; so if it's a folder just delete the files. if it's gnome then remove the entries.

Hmm. I'm using the GNOME source but the first time I tried it, there was an entry that shouldn't have been. Oh well. No worries!

I enjoy the program---running it through cron rather than a daemon is a brilliant plan. I am saving memory (and notification area space) from not having to run Destkop Drapes to get the same effect. The fact that you put it in a deb package sealed the deal for me. Great job!

DoctorMO
August 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I enjoy the program---running it through cron rather than a daemon is a brilliant plan. I am saving memory (and notification area space) from not having to run Destkop Drapes to get the same effect. The fact that you put it in a deb package sealed the deal for me. Great job!

There isn't a reason it should be a daemon to be honest. Cron already does the job and recreating it's functionality would not be in the best interest of the user.

Some other daemons are a waste like that, I'm sure the update manager (that checks for updates) could be done as a cron too.

firefeather
August 15th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Some other daemons are a waste like that, I'm sure the update manager (that checks for updates) could be done as a cron too.

Very good point. Along those lines, Gnome-schedule (http://gnome-schedule.sourceforge.net) is a great way to manage (and get your head around) cron jobs. I recommend it. :)

On another note, I've found that since I installed your program, I've had to run killall nautilus to get my desktop icons to show up and my wallpaper to show correctly after I boot. Is it possible the script makes Nautilus wig out? I may not be able to contribute by coding, but bug reporting, maybe.

Lord Xeb
August 15th, 2008, 05:09 AM
It won't install because python-central isn't satisfied. It is already installed though e_e

DoctorMO
August 15th, 2008, 06:01 AM
On another note, I've found that since I installed your program, I've had to run killall nautilus to get my desktop icons to show up and my wallpaper to show correctly after I boot. Is it possible the script makes Nautilus wig out? I may not be able to contribute by coding, but bug reporting, maybe.

But report, did you have it set to on reboot or every few mins? What other settings did you have?

It won't install because python-central isn't satisfied. It is already installed though e_e

You must be either using Ibex or Debian then; I know debian has old python-central libs. more details?

And yes, bug reports raise your launchpad karma :-)

firefeather
August 16th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Since you mentioned launchpad, I will post all info I have on there. :)

picpak
August 16th, 2008, 04:27 PM

Would Flickr work?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/wallpaper

kaivalagi
August 16th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Would Flickr work?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/wallpaper

+1

It would be nice to have the ability to enter a flickr url, and display all pictures in that photostream...

Not sure how tricky it would be to actually identify the images for downloading?

Will as flickrLister class be possible?

DoctorMO
August 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Would Flickr work?

I just fixed some interesting rss stuff to make the Flikr rss feeds work. I tested this with the wallpapers tag you suggested.

It would be nice to have the ability to enter a flickr url, and display all pictures in that photostream...

Not sure how tricky it would be to actually identify the images for downloading?

Will as flickrLister class be possible?

I don't know if all Flikr photo streams have rss feeds. If not then you can make a flikrLister class and get it to do that for you.

Checkout 2.4 for these changes.

kaivalagi
August 16th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I just fixed some interesting rss stuff to make the Flikr rss feeds work. I tested this with the wallpapers tag you suggested.

I don't know if all Flikr photo streams have rss feeds. If not then you can make a flikrLister class and get it to do that for you.

Checkout 2.4 for these changes.

That would be by far the best source of images for me

They do have rss feeds (who doesn't these days :))

They are in the form:

http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=12345678@N00&lang=en-us&format=rss_200

I think, after it's been running issue free with a few of us here, this whole project should be submitted into the ubuntu repos!

DoctorMO
August 16th, 2008, 06:02 PM
That URL is a 404 so I couldn't use that. Although did you try and use the 2.4 version where I fixed how Flikr delivers via rss? It should work for any valid rss 2.0 link from flikr including one very much like you posted (except valid)

There is a bug with restarting gnome, if you guys want to restart gnome and see if you can get it to mess up your icons and background :-)

kaivalagi
August 16th, 2008, 06:11 PM
That URL is a 404 so I couldn't use that. Although did you try and use the 2.4 version where I fixed how Flikr delivers via rss? It should work for any valid rss 2.0 link from flikr including one very much like you posted (except valid)

There is a bug with restarting gnome, if you guys want to restart gnome and see if you can get it to mess up your icons and background :-)

I gave an example of the feed url not knowing you had it working already in a new version...the id number was made up

I didn't even realise you had updated it again, I'm glad you have this setup in a PPA :)

Anyway, I have updated to 2.4 and have my own rss from flickr setup and working just fine

Thanks

DoctorMO
August 16th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I gave an example of the feed url not knowing you had it working already in a new version...the id number was made up

It may surprise you to learn that rss is an xml file and the program doesn't use the url _format_ but the xml contents. So no more made up urls please! :-P

Anyway, I have updated to 2.4 and have my own rss from flickr setup and working just fine

Oh good, H'rah for good coding.

DoctorMO
August 17th, 2008, 05:16 PM
OK so that bug (with nautilus) doesn't seem to happen for anyone else. Although I'd like it if anyone else sees it to change their download dir to their home dir and see if that clears up the problem. So far I have no choice but to mark it as invalid for now.

DoctorMO
August 18th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I've been thinking about how sometimes the randomness pulls up a desktop I don't like. I know I could put a button on the top bar as a program icon. But what do others think?

kaivalagi
August 18th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I've been thinking about how sometimes the randomness pulls up a desktop I don't like. I know I could put a button on the top bar as a program icon. But what do others think?

Having the option to include a "thumbs down" button would be good. What would be even nicer is to have it save the offending image filename and not download it again...

Just having the button would be a good thing though, I too come across pictures I don't like (mostly my own :)) and would like to replace it with a different one.

hardyn
August 18th, 2008, 04:35 PM
you should submit this as a [needs packaging] @ the launchpad... see if you can slide it into intrepid or i+1.

good job!

DoctorMO
August 18th, 2008, 04:45 PM
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/gnome-wallchanger/+spec/gnome-control

I've added it as a blueprint so I can come back to it sometime later or someone else can do it. It's not a huge job.

you should submit this as a [needs packaging] @ the launchpad... see if you can slide it into intrepid or i+1.

If you know of another method other than REVU let me know.

pt123
August 19th, 2008, 04:19 AM
look forward to testing it

hardyn
August 19th, 2008, 06:13 AM
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/gnome-wallchanger/+spec/gnome-control

I've added it as a blueprint so I can come back to it sometime later or someone else can do it. It's not a huge job.

If you know of another method other than REVU let me know.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-motu/2007-March/001474.html

I added a request for an updated wifi driver and it was a addresed almost immediately, so the system does work... and if you package your own deb, im sure it would be in as soon as it were approved.

lecter255
August 19th, 2008, 06:14 AM
hi doctor mo i am using the new version now. how do i change the wallpaper to display in zoom mode every time?

DoctorMO
August 19th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I added a request for an updated wifi driver and it was a addresed almost immediately, so the system does work... and if you package your own deb, im sure it would be in as soon as it were approved.

What are you saying? it lacks context...

hi doctor mo i am using the new version now. how do i change the wallpaper to display in zoom mode every time?

Change the python code in random-wallpaper.py so that it saves the zoomed setting on each change. Submit a bug into launchpad if you think it should be added as a feature.

lecter255
August 19th, 2008, 04:18 PM
hi doctormo. i found the random-wallpaper.py in the gnome-wallchanger package but i am not sure how to change the code so it sets to zoom everytime. the file only has one line reproduced below. how do i change it?

PYTHONPATH=::/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/:$PYTHONPATH /usr/bin/python /usr/share/wallpaper-changer/random-wallpaper.py $1

DoctorMO
August 19th, 2008, 04:23 PM
hi doctormo. i found the random-wallpaper.py in the gnome-wallchanger package but i am not sure how to change the code so it sets to zoom everytime. the file only has one line reproduced below. how do i change it?

That isn't the py file, that's the bash script. Look for the py file.

kaivalagi
August 19th, 2008, 04:31 PM

I am using version 2.4 from the launchpad repo.

I just configure the style setting in "Change Background Settings" off the right click on the desktop.

If wallchanger is running, you can still go into these settings and change the default style, it then takes affect immediately and stays in that style. Just make sure you don't mess about with the background image selection.

Or am I missing the point here?

Hope that helps

DoctorMO
August 19th, 2008, 04:38 PM
If wallchanger is running, you can still go into these settings and change the default style, it then takes affect immediately and stays in that style. Just make sure you don't mess about with the background image selection.

Yep, that is indeed true, I think perhaps this fellow has some backgrounds which needs tiling and some that need stretched. It's an interesting problem.

firefeather
August 19th, 2008, 05:08 PM
This thread just hit Lifehacker. :)

lecter255
August 19th, 2008, 05:17 PM
ok the problem is when changer changes a wallpaper, it's in tiled mode, so i go to change desktop wallpaper to set it to zoom, then close it. then when changer changes wallpaper again, the next wallpaper is in tile mode again. how do i make the default zoom or scaled? i just want all of them displayed in one mode, either zoom or scaled.

Thanks!

lecter255
August 19th, 2008, 05:30 PM
wait i think i got it to work... the trick is to turn off changer, change the settings in change desktop background, close it, then turn on changer again. this way it seems changer will be using the modified settings as default. i think that's what's happening...

computer science works in mysterious ways... lol thanks guys for this help. one tiny suggestion. it would be cool if the wallpapers will fade into the next one. just a thought.

5m0k3
August 19th, 2008, 05:35 PM
This inspired me to create a simple bash script to have my computer check the time on startup and use a different wallpaper, depending upon whether it is morning, afternoon, or night. It will also change at designated times via cron. I also use festival TTS to greet me on boot with good morning, good afternoon, or good evening sir, depending on the time of day.

lecter255
August 19th, 2008, 05:39 PM
lol good stuff. this should definitely get into repo though.

ranger_cole
August 19th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Where is the folder wallpaper-changer located? Not listed under places and not inside any other folder I could find. I am newbie and am trying to learn linux.

DoctorMO
August 19th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Where is the folder wallpaper-changer located? Not listed under places and not inside any other folder I could find. I am newbie and am trying to learn linux.

It's any folder that you yourself create, I put mine in /home/doctormo/Graphics/Wallpapers others have a folder called wallpapers in their home directory. Either way you just have to create a new folder and dill it with the pictures you want to use.

ProphetSix
August 19th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Following this thread, (from LifeHacker), as I've been looking for something to do this for about a month now.

One question: in Mac OSX, they have the ability to fade/slideshow between the wallpapers. Kinda of like a transition effect, or a video fade. Can any of those "special effects" be brought into this?

Thanks.

hufferd
August 19th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Hey guys,

Due to "customer" demand I've quickly put together a gui and crontab python libs for setting auto changing wallpapers. See screenshot attached for demo.

You need to install 3 debs, 2 python libs and one app. It'll put a menu item in your system > preferences folder for you to configure it.

And PPA stuff here: https://launchpad.net/~doctormo/+archive

Am I doing something wrong I cant install the deb packages?

hufferd
August 20th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Am I doing something wrong I cant install the deb packages?

Strike my last comment I got it figured out YAY!

:guitar:

DoctorMO
August 20th, 2008, 01:26 AM
One question: in Mac OSX, they have the ability to fade/slideshow between the wallpapers. Kinda of like a transition effect, or a video fade. Can any of those "special effects" be brought into this?

No, it would be a compiz type effect that would have to be done separately. It _could_ be done in there and tied in the config. People hardly ever see their backgrounds change anyway.

ProphetSix
August 20th, 2008, 01:50 AM
No, it would be a compiz type effect that would have to be done separately. It _could_ be done in there and tied in the config. People hardly ever see their backgrounds change anyway.

OK, thanks for the idea and info. I'll start playing around in Compiz and see if it gives the effect I want, and than I'll look at tying the two together. If it works, I'll post back here.

StGermain
August 20th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I can't install it on Feisty?

DoctorMO
August 20th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I can't install it on Feisty?

No, although it would work on Feisty the packages are not built for it. Is this a problem?

ranger_cole
August 20th, 2008, 05:25 PM
The random wallpaper changer appears to have created a folder called wallpaper-changer. It is listed as a choice when you open advanced background settings. How can I find this folder?

hufferd
August 20th, 2008, 05:57 PM
The random wallpaper changer appears to have created a folder called wallpaper-changer. It is listed as a choice when you open advanced background settings. How can I find this folder?

I just did a folder / file search and got it that way :)

DoctorMO
August 20th, 2008, 06:26 PM

I just did a folder / file search and got it that way

You should not need to find the folder, it is only where the app is installed. You should change the folder to a location in your home directory and it should be reported as a bug that the default is the app location (none-writeable)

ranger_cole
August 20th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I found it in filesystem/usr/share. I cannot move files to this folder do not have permission. How do you get permission?

DoctorMO
August 20th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I found it in filesystem/usr/share. I cannot move files to this folder do not have permission. How do you get permission?

You should not move files here, it is the wrong place. create a folder in your home directory and CHANGE the setting in the config.

ranger_cole
August 20th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Ok. Thanks for the info.

amazingtaters
August 20th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Well, it's not working for me, I'm running Ibex

DoctorMO
August 20th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Well, it's not working for me, I'm running Ibex

Errors? reasons? settings? bug report? did you try and run random_wallpaper command fromthe command line and get the output?

Tiler
August 20th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I believe this is more of a note than a bug. I'm finding that when the RSS feed updates, it starts over from the beginning. Anyone else finding this?

DoctorMO
August 20th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I believe this is more of a note than a bug. I'm finding that when the RSS feed updates, it starts over from the beginning. Anyone else finding this?

It's random... they will sometimes repeat.

DoctorMO
August 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM
Is there anyone who wants more features in this tool? the ability to get a new wallpaper by clicking a button in the toolbar or desktop menu? or perhaps an option to go through wallpapers sequentially instead of randomly and an option to avoid repeating?

Lord Xeb
August 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM
I use linux mint which runs on Ubuntu 7.10

DoctorMO
August 21st, 2008, 06:42 PM
I use linux mint which runs on Ubuntu 7.10

I don't understand.

firefeather
August 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Is there anyone who wants more features in this tool? the ability to get a new wallpaper by clicking a button in the toolbar or desktop menu? or perhaps an option to go through wallpapers sequentially instead of randomly and an option to avoid repeating?

For me, not especially...I like how lightweight it is!

quinnten83
August 22nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
I read about this on lifehacker and I used the ppa repo to install.
But in my case nothing happens.
I can launch the gnome-wallpaper-config. But no matter what settings i change, my background remains the same even after the time lapse.
I am sure I am doing something wrond, so before I go giving reports about bugs, maybe someone could explain how I need to work this.
Please explain it to me like I am 4,5 cause I just might be.

DoctorMO
August 22nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
I can launch the gnome-wallpaper-config. But no matter what settings i change, my background remains the same even after the time lapse.
I am sure I am doing something wrond, so before I go giving reports about bugs, maybe someone could explain how I need to work this.
Please explain it to me like I am 4,5 cause I just might be.

Oh no, that sounds like a bug. Please go to the command line and type in:

random-wallpaper

And post here any error messages.

quinnten83
August 22nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
Here it is:

darrell@Desktop:~$ random-wallpaper
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/random-wallpaper.py", line 23, in <module>
from config import config
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/config.py", line 24, in <module>
config = Config(settings_file, settings_folder)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/moxml/config.py", line 433, in __new__
config = newConfig(file, filename, manager, True)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/moxml/config.py", line 469, in __new__
version = child.getAttribute('version'),
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/moxml/config.py", line 372, in __new__
child = Hash(xmldoc, **options)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/moxml/config.py", line 171, in __init__
self.set_xml(data)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/moxml/config.py", line 503, in set_xml
parent = self,
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/moxml/config.py", line 370, in __new__
child = XMLValue(xmldoc, **options)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/moxml/config.py", line 381, in __new__
return ValueString(data, **options)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/moxml/config.py", line 722, in __init__
return ValueBase.__init__(self, data, **options)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/moxml/config.py", line 667, in __init__
Base.__init__(self, value, **options)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/moxml/config.py", line 171, in __init__
self.set_xml(data)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/moxml/config.py", line 676, in set_xml
return self.set(result)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/moxml/config.py", line 726, in set
self.value = str(value)
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe7' in position 55: ordinal not in range(128)
darrell@Desktop:~$

I can't make much sense of it.
But then again I am not a coder (yet, stranger things have happened).

Polygon
August 23rd, 2008, 04:14 PM
the default folder for saving wallpapers in, i dont have permission for.

mark@Aurora:~$ random-wallpaper
@ Downloading: http://backend.deviantart.com/rss.xml?q=in%3Acustomization/wallpaper%20sort%3Atime%20penguins&type=deviation
@ Downloading: http://backend.deviantart.com/rss.xml?q=in%3Acustomization/wallpaper%20sort%3Atime%20penguins&type=deviation
@ Downloading: http://snowflakedancer.deviantart.com/art/Gridlock-82398010
@ Downloading: http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs29/f/2008/100/0/e/Gridlock_by_snowflakedancer.png
< Saving downloaded file to /usr/share/wallpaper-changer/Gridlock_by_snowflakedancer.png
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/random-wallpaper.py", line 43, in <module>
filename, wp = lister.getRandom()
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/lister.py", line 44, in getRandom
return self.getItem(random.choice( self.getList() ))
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/lister.py", line 253, in getItem
return lister.getItem(self, meta['src'])
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/lister.py", line 55, in getItem
return self.downloadItem( itemref )
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/lister.py", line 68, in downloadItem
fh = open(path, 'wb')
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/Gridlock_by_snowflakedancer.png'
mark@Aurora:~$

ALSO

i just found a great idea for the saving wallpapers thing, you could have it so you can set a maximum size (like 50 mb) for the size of the wallpaper folder, and if it goes over that, it starts deleting the older wallpapers to make room for new ones.

lukjad
August 23rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Also, in the version I use there is a small problem. If you leave an xfc file in the same folder as the other desktop backgrounds, the symbol of the file will be shown massively blown up. Not very pretty.

Polygon
August 23rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
and also another feature request:

have it search within folders, like i have a folder:

/wallpapers/

that is sorted into like

/wallpapers/1024x768
/wallpapers/1600x1200

etc.... but if i just specify

/wallpapers/

it only takes the wallpapers from that folder, not recursively, it would be amazing if you could add that =)

lukjad
August 23rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
But only as an option. Sometimes you may not want all of the folders to be looked in.

dajashby
August 24th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Hi,

Since you ask, I'd like to be able to specify a local directory and have it searched recursively for wallpapers...

Another nice feature is to be able to specify a display style per wallpaper or per directory - i.e centred, tiled, etc.

Derrick

leftyfb
August 25th, 2008, 05:07 AM

Please add the ability to avoid repeating. Since I have it using an "ubuntu wallpaper" feed from flickr and i'm getting the same 5 or 6 wallpapers every time. This is the furthest thing from random.

DoctorMO
August 25th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Please add the ability to avoid repeating. Since I have it using an "ubuntu wallpaper" feed from flickr and i'm getting the same 5 or 6 wallpapers every time. This is the furthest thing from random.

Well, it does only random between those listed in the rss feed and sometimes that is quite limited. Although flikr has at least 20 or so per rss feed.

I'll see about working on various things.

DoctorMO
August 25th, 2008, 06:57 AM
OK I've just updated it to 2.5, this includes various fixed and features:

* Record each of the wallpapers that have been used.
* Try and pick a random image from the not used set instead of total set
* Fix bug where it was requesting the list twice, even for simple feeds
* Fix bug where it would remove a wallpaper that was being used because it
was selecting the same one again.
* Add refresh button to gnome-config to allow instant random background.
* Add recursive option to folder view to select multiple files.
* Make sure it old keeps track of the last 50 wallpapers used.

Various other features are still under consideration depending on how many people want them.

Shazaam
August 31st, 2008, 04:50 AM
Works great. Good stuff.

DoctorMO
August 31st, 2008, 05:24 AM
Any chance of a Gutsy version?

I know you edited this out of your post, but I'd just like to say that it probably would be too much effort to make prior versions are debs. I wouldn't even know where to start with the packaging. Yet it's very likely that you could run the setup.py from the orig package on REVU or from source and install it on gutsy/fiesty. You may also be able to get someone else to package it for those older platforms.

kaivalagi
August 31st, 2008, 12:46 PM
I know you edited this out of your post, but I'd just like to say that it probably would be too much effort to make prior versions are debs. I wouldn't even know where to start with the packaging. Yet it's very likely that you could run the setup.py from the orig package on REVU or from source and install it on gutsy/fiesty. You may also be able to get someone else to package it for those older platforms.

I don't know the whole story so this is a big what if...:)

Isn't it possible to just add the hardy PPA location to the sources.list on a gutsy ubuntu OS? I know I have done things the other way round, having a gutsy repo working in hardy...

I may be totally off the mark here but I'd say it's worth a shot!

Shazaam
August 31st, 2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks DocktorMo for the info. I edited the post after coming to the same conclusion. :)
kaivalagi...
Tried that, met dependency (versions) problems. I may play around with it later. It works fine in Hardy.

DoctorMO
August 31st, 2008, 07:51 PM
All those who wanted to look at the earth-view like that bloke with the script from life-hackers. I've added that in. It was 6 lines of code and some glade changes. Most of the changes I've done are for packaging to get it into REVU and approved for insertion into the package system.

Thanks DocktorMo for the info.

You welcome.

Uberschizo
September 2nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
hi

great software, tried it loved it, but can someone tell me how i can change wallpaper using this, at wish, like a keyboard shortcut.
and how do i uninstall this?

thanks

schizo

DoctorMO
September 2nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
great software, tried it loved it, but can someone tell me how i can change wallpaper using this, at wish, like a keyboard shortcut.
and how do i uninstall this?

Glad you like it (enough to uninstall it), you can go to the Add/Remove programs and uninstall it from there. Or use:
sudo apt-get remove gnome-wallchanger

For shortcut keys, there really isn't one yet, although there should be something.

Uberschizo
September 3rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
:-) thanks doc, any plans of including a hotkey? one must always know how to remove stuff one installs, in linux as in life

ciao

schizo

DoctorMO
September 3rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
you could always use this guide to add it yourself: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=42404

Bruce M.
September 8th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I've been looking for this program for a long time.

Or I should say: one like this. :)

You've done a great job. Thank you.

Have a nice day.
Bruce

lukjad
September 8th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Sorry but this last version (2.6) doesn't work for my Local folder. I even tried switching folders, to no avail. I also cannot figure out how to remove the program (and config files). Is there anyway that I can debug it?

DoctorMO
September 8th, 2008, 11:06 PM
run 'random-wallpaper' from the command line and report back with any errors or output and I'll look into it.

lukjad
September 8th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Hmm... It looks like it's a permission problem.

lukjad007@stationx:~$ random-wallpaper
* /home/lukjad007/.emilia
* /home/lukjad007/EDDY DISK
* /home/lukjad007/.thumbnails
* /home/lukjad007/.gnome_private
* /home/lukjad007/.dvdcss
* /home/lukjad007/nethack-343-Guidebook.txt
* /home/lukjad007/desktop background
* /home/lukjad007/.esd_auth
* /home/lukjad007/.bash_logout
* /home/lukjad007/nethack-343-Guidebook.pdf
* /home/lukjad007/python-crontab_0.5_all.deb
* /home/lukjad007/CD
* /home/lukjad007/.quiteinsane_gimp_plugin
* /home/lukjad007/.holotz-castle
* /home/lukjad007/pm.txt
* /home/lukjad007/.adanaxis
* /home/lukjad007/.gvfs
* /home/lukjad007/.netxrc
* /home/lukjad007/Linux quotes
* /home/lukjad007/.update-manager-core
* /home/lukjad007/LinuxMint-5-r1.iso.torrent
* /home/lukjad007/convert.php_files
* /home/lukjad007/dvdrip-data
* /home/lukjad007/.hplip
* /home/lukjad007/.pulse-cookie
* /home/lukjad007/7 things.flv
* /home/lukjad007/.Xauthority
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/random-wallpaper.py", line 47, in <module>
filename, wp = lister.getRandom()
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/lister.py", line 51, in getRandom
list = self.getItems()
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/lister.py", line 81, in getItems
self._list = self.getList()
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/lister.py", line 213, in getList
return self.imgList(self._dir)
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/lister.py", line 221, in imgList
fh = open(path, "rb")
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'/home/lukjad007/.Xauthority'

DoctorMO
September 8th, 2008, 11:13 PM
It looks like you have it pointed at ~/ too, I can fix the bug but I don't recommend turning on recursive while also pointing at ~/.

The problem will be fixed in a later version.

lukjad
September 8th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I checked that the recursive is off.

DoctorMO
September 8th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Yes the problem is pointing it at ~/, because there are unreadable files in there.

lukjad
September 8th, 2008, 11:42 PM
How do I fix this? Do I change the directory to another location?

DoctorMO
September 8th, 2008, 11:46 PM
For now, yes.

lukjad
September 9th, 2008, 12:00 AM
My desktop would be a good place?

DoctorMO
September 9th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Make a new directory called Wallpapers in your home directory and put stuff in there.

lukjad
September 9th, 2008, 12:53 AM
That's were it was! It was called "background" or "desktop background".

gliphwriter
September 10th, 2008, 12:09 AM

:)I don't know about anyone else, but I would love it you could change to a specific background at a specified time of day. That would be a cool feature.:)

DoctorMO
September 10th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I would love it you could change to a specific background at a specified time of day. That would be a cool feature.

That... would be a completely different program. Or well something more interesting. Give me $100 and I'll build it for you.

lukjad
September 10th, 2008, 12:20 AM
That sound nice but not only that. I prefer it as it is if it is either/or.

DoctorMO
September 10th, 2008, 12:33 AM
That sound nice but not only that. I prefer it as it is if it is either/or.

I thought of a way it could be done inside the current tool. although I'd still want paying for the feature.

gliphwriter
September 10th, 2008, 12:37 AM
That... would be a completely different program. Or well something more interesting. Give me $100 and I'll build it for you.

$100?...don't get me wrong, your work is great but you asked what other features would be nice...you didn't say what would you be willing to pay for. I already have it change like i want using the method at this site.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/tips/2008/08/18/rotate_desktop_backgrounds_in_ubuntu-2.html

Just thought it would be a useful feature.

lukjad
September 10th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Is there a way to uninstall the current install so that I can reinstall the older one?

DoctorMO
September 10th, 2008, 12:46 AM
It's cute that people think my time is worthless. I don't mind building things for my friends or myself. And I wanted good ideas that I would like to add to make it more useful for myself and encourage people to use what I have already built so people don't waste their time recreating it.

Although I appreciate your just asking for nice features, but it's a feature I don't want to do, so REJECTED. You still have the option of adding it yourself and sending me the patch.

lukjad
September 10th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Sorry you feel that people think your time is worthless. I don't. I'm sure that gliphwriter didn't either. You did ask if anyone wanted to have any other features. Not all of us can but if someone has the means to, how can they contact you to arrange payment?

gliphwriter
September 10th, 2008, 12:54 AM
:confused:Calm down DoctorMO, i never said your time was worthless. There is really no need to get a tude about it. I was only suggesting something. Maybe if you hadn't been so bold about the $100 and had a donation site I could have contributed...as I've done with many other developers. Since the feature has been "REJECTED" as you put it I will just look elsewhere. Thank you for your time and a very good program.

DoctorMO
September 10th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Calm down DoctorMO, i never said your time was worthless

I'm not angry, actually I'm amused as the community had this odd attitude to free labour.

I will just look elsewhere

Ah the great threat, hehe. Oh my heart! the pain *Gak* *fake dramatic death*

You did ask if anyone wanted to have any other features. Not all of us can but if someone has the means to, how can they contact you to arrange payment?

Email me, I'm happy to add features that are interesting and things I'd like to see. Anything else and I'll be bold as I like in offering my labour to the market of peoples wallets.

I admit it was a bit of test to see how the community would react, they get so much for free. Is it little wonder not many real developers hang around in the forums?

lukjad
September 10th, 2008, 01:30 AM
You have to admit that your request came out of the left field. If you had stated it out front there may have been a more time to consider what we would like and what we feel is a fair price. $100 is a lot to just hand over at the drop of a hat, even a very nice hat. You can dictate your terms, I just prefer when they are there from the beginning I have no problem with people asking for money for their products.

Since I am still stuck somewhere between shock, anger and bemusement right now before I start to argue with you about the merits of you little "test" I'll just go somewhere and cool off. You should know that you came off rather harsh. Just so you know.

CyanideSun666
September 10th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Haven't read through all the pages, but, as far as what is posted in the first post, it works great :) Thanks!

DoctorMO
September 10th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Since I am still stuck somewhere between shock, anger and bemusement right now before I start to argue with you about the merits of you little "test" I'll just go somewhere and cool off. You should know that you came off rather harsh. Just so you know.

Ah then regardless of the intent of my message I owe you an apology. There is no harshness intended; although I've been thinking about how little help I've been getting from the community in general, that may have bolted as some kind of subconscious complaint.

Anyway, I'm open to haggling and group buying. And I reckon the ort to be a website for this sort of thing. Canonical doesn't seem interested in an ecosystem where developers can earn real money from their work.

Polygon
September 10th, 2008, 04:28 AM
you accept like 10 pages of suggestions then one random suggestion you suddenly want money for? you could of just 'no' or 'that would be a lot of work for just a simple hobby' or even just ignored it, but now you demand money for features? no one is forcing you implement features, but demanding 100 bucks for a feature, thats just stupid. NOTHING costs 100 bucks, hell i could buy microsoft word for 100 bucks, and that is a program that is collection of the talents and hard work of hundreds maybe even thousands of engineers.

if you want money for your program, fine. make people pay for the program, close off the source, code extra features so people dont pirate your programs, and watch as people find a way to crack it and use it for free anyway...at least until someone comes along and makes a program that does what your does, for free, and open sourced, and everyone starts using that and all your work goes to waste.

i know i will never support your program if you have this kind of attitude, heck, ill learn python myself and make a program that does what yours does for free if i want something that badly. I have never paid for a program in my life (office 2003 was an exception, and videogames also) and im not going to start now.

its not free labor, its a SUGGESTION. which means you don't have to take it. don't start complaining how the community has given you no help about this when, guess what! the majority of the community doesn't know how to code, and if they did, they would most likely chase their own ideas or join bigger projects then some small wallpaper changer GUI utility. If you have qualms about giving the ubuntu community a nice program for free, then stop developing for the opensource community. go make apps for windows or the iphone/ipod touch app store.

DoctorMO
September 10th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Wow Polygon, you've made my naughty list. Do you even know what the _real_ programs i work on for the community are? I don't give a rats **** about the amount of help I get on this tiny little program I threw up in 2 days, nor do I have a need for any money really.

But getting messages from people with your attitude explaining why money should never be involved in Free Software and every programmer should be a socialistic volunteer is an absolute insult. I give up every free hour of every day to programming FOSS and organising my LoCo events and do it for the good of the community.

Investigating how the ecosystem can thrive on it's own dime was the whole freeking reason for my query. Instead thanks to people like you the free software world will always be eating the scraps of other peoples development and only programmers will get what they want out of Linux.

No Polygon, your wrong, dead wrong and worse than that you've shown your not interested in building a real community where people can earn a living doing work for each other based on users needs. Your interested in leeching.

To everyone else: We need to start thinking about paying for development, what ever it is we have a need to be fixed or developed. Otherwise we'll be subject to what ever development Canonical is being paid to do, or what ever volunteer can slave his spare his time on and wants to do.

kaivalagi
September 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM
For what it's worth DoctorMo, I appreciate your efforts on this useful app, as I know how much time and energy this sort of thing can take up.

Continue to enhance your app as you see fit, as I am sure the vast majority of users are happy with it's features. I am :)

easyease
September 10th, 2008, 05:41 PM
:)I don't know about anyone else, but I would love it you could change to a specific background at a specified time of day. That would be a cool feature.:)check thios out and it doesnt cost $100.
http://wallpapoz.akbarhome.com/

deb package available here
http://www.getdeb.net/category.php?id=11

DoctorMO
September 10th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Linear progression option + times of the day option would do that feature too.

But the way this program works is quite a bit different to wallpapoz which seems to manage lists and categories. (also requires compiz)

Shazaam
September 10th, 2008, 06:17 PM
DoctorMo...
I might have missed it amongst the other posts but I have a question. When you go to System>Preferences>Appearance>Background I have noticed that a second instance of each picture is being put there. I have made a separate folder and pointed wallpaper-changer to it for the pictures that I want it to use, I also have the box checked "Remove wallpapers after use" checked. Is this a bug or do I have it set up wrong? Should I find and clean out the default Ubuntu Background folder?

DoctorMO
September 10th, 2008, 06:51 PM
What it does is it adds the currently used background to the gnome background settings so you can get to it if you want. It also allows you to collect backgrounds you want to keep. Send me a screen shot (annotated for effect) of the problem.

Shazaam
September 10th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Double pics....

DoctorMO
September 10th, 2008, 07:35 PM
OK i think I know what's going wrong. Can you report it in launchpad? that way I can get to it and not have to rush about this afternoon.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-wallchanger

Shazaam
September 10th, 2008, 08:18 PM
OK i think I know what's going wrong. Can you report it in launchpad? that way I can get to it and not have to rush about this afternoon.

Will do thanks.

Polygon
September 10th, 2008, 08:24 PM
the point of my post was, you know that no one is ever going to pay you 100 dollars to add the discussed feature to the program, which can be done with a cron script anyway.

even programs for already establilshed application stores for like the iphone, the programs there cost like 2 dollars each. why the heck are you demanding 100?

and i highly doubt any such 'community' where programmers can earn a living programming will ever exist on linux, cuase everyone expects everything to be free.....if you start asking for money people will not use it and search for a free alternative. hell, this utopian 'community' doesn't even exist on windows either. or mac. The only example ive seen is the iphone application store, and second life. and even there, people search for free alternative before they are forced to shell out money for a program.

and im not just a leecher. I actively report bugs, i give suggestions on how to improve stuff. i was active in my LoCo before it kinda died.

if your calling me a leecher, then the vast VAST majority of people who use a computer is also a leecher. They don't want to pay for programs. they will search 20 pages of google to find a free alternative for a program. and it makes sense, why pay money for a program when you can get one just as good....for free?

im not an expert on the FOSS philosophy, but im sure there is something in there about this

DoctorMO
September 10th, 2008, 08:35 PM
demanding

Demand sir? you will need to cite where I held a gun to his head and Demanded he pay me. Because as far as I was concerned and no matter how ridiculous the offering, it was still a choice I was offering for services rendered. How dare you tell me how to conduct my freedom to offer services, regardless of your opinions on the cost.

and i highly doubt any such 'community' where programmers can earn a living programming will ever exist on linux

Your doubt is where the problem is, $2 would be fine if 50 people did likewise. Programmers aren't cheap, if any part of the FOSS community wants to demand, ask, suggest or otherwise proffer direction of development then I require them to invest before I will listen; code, money, time in bug tracking.

You have no voice, I'm not interested in what you have to say, you'll use what ubuntu gives and like it. Do you want the community to be a brigard of beggars? constantly running after scraps and social sympathy to get any bugs fixed?

I'd rather destroy the social convention that software is free to make than destroy the option of users to employ all tools (including money) to getting what they want.

Ultimately your arguing against the freedom of people to choose to have work done and the freedom of programmers like myself to offer such a choice.

Polygon
September 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM
sure your free to charge money for stuff, but that makes your program less popular and less people will use it.

and the community wont be a community of beggers, you forget that there are programmers int eh community as well. if they want it badly enough, someone will just make a similar program for free. or fork yours.

DoctorMO
September 10th, 2008, 09:59 PM
but that makes your program less popular and less people will use it.

This isn't a popularity contest; and why would they need to fork? patches welcome. Just because I want money to do some work doesn't mean I'd deny someone their ability to do said work.

and the community wont be a community of beggers, you forget that there are programmers int eh community as well. if they want it badly enough, someone will just make a similar program for free. or fork yours.

Only developers will get what they want, none developers will be beggars. Either evoking such ridiculous notions such as the popularity contest one above or some other daft social edifice.

Without spending money you can either use what someone has already made (scraps) or you can ask a developer to fix or add a feature (begging). Or perhaps you think programmers owe users a debt of some kind?

Voorhees1979
September 11th, 2008, 12:25 AM
This is a great app many thanks. I am having some issues though. When I click on change picture every 5 mins or 1 min it wont change (yes I have ticked the right box). I have to hit open the app back up and click refresh for the background to change. Any ideas?

Many Thanks

DoctorMO
September 11th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Can you tell me what the response is to this command:

crontab -l

Voorhees1979
September 11th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Hi thanks for the reply. Output is:

voorhees@voorhees:~$ crontab -l

* * * * * /usr/bin/random-wallpaper

I have set my own local folder, and it is set to Rescursive as I have my photos in lots of different folders. This part is working for me as they change when I hit refresh.

Thanks

DoctorMO
September 11th, 2008, 12:40 AM
that should run every minute. try running /usr/bin/random-wallpaper from the command line and post back if it worked (changed the background) or if there were errors.

Voorhees1979
September 11th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Hi

Thanks again for the reply. I ran the cmd

* /home/voorhees/Photos/2008/2008-03-21--18.54.04/Picture 009.jpg
! /home/voorhees/Photos/2008/2008-03-21--18.54.04/Picture 009.jpg
* /home/voorhees/Photos/2008/2008-03-21--18.54.04/Picture 005.jpg
! /home/voorhees/Photos/2008/2008-03-21--18.54.04/Picture 005.jpg

etc etc, i wont spam all the output but there was no errors and the picture changed stright away, but of course it only changed once, I guess that is due to the command not saying change every minute or what ever.

Thanks

DoctorMO
September 11th, 2008, 01:15 AM
No that command is run by cron every minute, that command only changes the background once... which leads me to suspect problems with cron or some other unforseen problem.

_Atreides_
September 11th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Doctor Mo I just wanted to take you for this app! I'm not really paying attention to the argument going on about it. I hope you can add more features if you want too and refine your app and hopefully get it added to the main repositories! Again thank you for your hard work!:KS

cobra741
September 30th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Heya Doc Mo :)

Just wanted to say thanks for this great wee app.. works a treat!!

Cheers,

DoctorMO
September 30th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I like hearing of people who use my apps. It's what keeps programmers going in the wee hours.

lukjad
September 30th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Whoa! It's been a long time since I saw this thread in my CP. How ya been?
Also, I tested and this program doesn't seem to work on Feisty. If you want any more info on that, tell me and when I reinstall Feisty I'll run whatever commands you want/need.

DoctorMO
September 30th, 2008, 03:33 PM
These threads do bounce a bit, mostly because people discover the program and it's all cool.

I think it might be just the way the debs are made with fiesty. Can you confirm if there are errors when you run either of the scripts?

lukjad
September 30th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Which command should I run? I will do them as soon as it is reinstalled. I am now living on a Live CD for about two weeks.

DoctorMO
September 30th, 2008, 06:56 PM
firstly run 'random-wallpaper' then try 'gnome-wallchanger-config'

lukjad
September 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Will do. Once I have Feisty up and rinning, I'll send you the output.

koradji
October 18th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Dr Mo,

Thanks for the app.

After installing in Intrepid, am getting a "Terminated Unexpectedly" error dialog each time, I believe, the crontab entry tries to execute.

Cron entry looks correct and running manually from the command line is OK so I would assume it's a permissions issues of some sort.

How can I help debug the issue ?

Regards
tmcg

DoctorMO
October 19th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Thanks for checking it out in intrepid. Check your dmesg log in /var/log/dmesg and see if it says anything. also check various other logs too.

I wonder if it's a bug in the crontab.

wersdaluv
October 19th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Wow! It really is mega ultra! hahahaha

DoctorMO
October 19th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Wow! It really is mega ultra! hahahaha

Your welcome!

DougieFresh4U
October 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I want to add the wallpaper changer. I need to add the 3 files posted to go along with it.. But when I click each of the files, a pop-up comes up and says 'the associated helper files do not exist'. I ran into this problem before and don't remember what I did to install a group of files. If I haven't explained enough please let me know. Also the 3 files are at the begining of this thread

And PPA stuff here: https://launchpad.net/~doctormo/+archive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: screenshot-wallchanger.png Views: 784 Size: 859.4 KB ID: 81486
Attached Files
File Type: deb python-crontab_0.5_all.deb (5.6 KB, 266 views)
File Type: deb python-moxml-config_0.9_all.deb (8.2 KB, 219 views)
File Type: deb gnome-wallchanger_2.6-0ubuntu1_all.deb (19.6 KB, 84 views)

lukjad
October 23rd, 2008, 01:58 PM
The problem seems to be that python-central. See screenshot.

DoctorMO
October 23rd, 2008, 02:43 PM
I'm building an intrepid machine now so I can properly test the deps.

Hopefully I'll have a working ppa that you can install out of the box.

gioele
November 2nd, 2008, 02:50 AM
With 8.10 the crontab doesn't seem to be working like previously reported. Running /usr/bin/random-wallpaper at the shell works great. By changing the cron to /usr/bin/random-wallpaper > /tmp/log.txt 2>&1 I was able to get:

> Using wallpaper /home/gioele/wallpaper/nov08/november08-vibrant-blue-calendar-1280x960.jpg
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/random-wallpaper.py", line 72, in <module>
client.commit_change_set(changeSet, True)
glib.GError: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Not running within active session)

I hope this helps finding the issue...

DoctorMO
November 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Hmm, that seems to suggest that no active gconf sessions were running in that user at that time. Very odd.

I'm upgrading to intrepid now so I'll be able to debug it some more.

barbedsaber
November 2nd, 2008, 04:13 PM
where are the config files stored. I broke it (go me) and now I want to start as if it was never there. :)

DoctorMO
November 2nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
~/.gnome2/backgrounds_advanced.xml - this is the config I use. What did you break btw and how? because it shouldn't be possible to break the config and if you do that's a bug in my eyes.

barbedsaber
November 3rd, 2008, 06:43 AM
I thought it had stopped responding, so I killed it. It was just waiting for a response from deviant art, but my slow internet connection had screwed up part way through. Now it wont open without superuser privileges.

DoctorMO
November 3rd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Hmm, investigation has shown some nasty problems. Intrepid's new version of gconf which uses dbus doesn't work any more for cron jobs. It looks like a security feature but results in a bloody problem.

I'll have to totally rewrite how that script works for the cron before it'll work right.

lukjad
November 3rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
Yet another reason to wait to install 8.10. ;)

cheics
November 13th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Wow!
I wonder what took so long for someone to write this!
I was going to give it a shot myself had it taken much longer

Kudos to you

Frak
November 13th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Reminds me of DeskLickr for Mac.

DoctorMO
November 13th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Yes, except it's been irreducibly broken by gnome developers. Cron Jobs can no longer access the gnome registry without the program being _inside_ the GUI.

Since the whole idea was to NOT have to run a daemon program (another one) this application has been borked and there isn't a fix for it.

I'm hoping a gnome developer will be able to tell me why they decided to break my application.

lukjad
November 13th, 2008, 03:04 PM
So, to make this work I need to run Hardy?

DoctorMO
November 13th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I haven't totally given up hope. I've joined the gconf mailing list and I'm going to be going directly to those who brought about this breakage. Perhaps they have some method which I have not been able to think of for fixing it.

lukjad
November 13th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I hope so. After all that work you did, it would be a shame for it to stop working.

cheics
November 16th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I haven't totally given up hope. I've joined the gconf mailing list and I'm going to be going directly to those who brought about this breakage. Perhaps they have some method which I have not been able to think of for fixing it.

Looking forward to the Intrepid fix with glee

cheics
November 16th, 2008, 10:36 PM

DoctorMO
November 16th, 2008, 11:24 PM

Yea me too. If you see anything about this problem online and want to do a bit of research to help me. Please do link and post information here. So far gconf developers have ignored my questions.

cariboo
November 17th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Not quite the same as the original program, but I've been using Desktop Drapes to change wallpapers,
I've go a 140Gb /home partition, so a directory with 500+ wallpapers in it, is not a big deal.

Jim

Sporkman
November 17th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Awesome, thanks!!

8)

moosefist
December 12th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I hope you can get it worked out. I would love to have something like this in intrepid

DoctorMO
December 12th, 2008, 08:30 PM
No change yet, I've asked a number of people a UDS MountinView, but no luck.

lukjad
December 13th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Does this work on any other distros? Also, on any other DMs?

tbone7
December 13th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I'll follow this thread actively in hope of life being brought in to this great application once more.

sanjit
December 14th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Umm...There's a screenlet (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Wallpaper+changer?content=76973) that changes wallpapers at regular intervals.

tbone7
December 14th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Of course, but the majority of other wallpaper changer applications, incl the screenlet application, need to run as daemon. The beauty of this is that it doesn't.

malathion
December 15th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Interesting app, and it *almost* does what I want it to do.

I had an idea to have a different wallpaper for different times of day; early morning, morning, noon, afternoon, evening, night. Therefore I wanted to set the interval between changes to 240 minutes (4 hours x 6 periods = 24 hours), but this app will not allow me to set an interval higher than 100 minutes. Is this something that could be patched?

I see you have bigger problems though...

Dianoga
January 28th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Interesting app, and it *almost* does what I want it to do.

I had an idea to have a different wallpaper for different times of day; early morning, morning, noon, afternoon, evening, night. Therefore I wanted to set the interval between changes to 240 minutes (4 hours x 6 periods = 24 hours), but this app will not allow me to set an interval higher than 100 minutes. Is this something that could be patched?

I am using this in arch, but I have an option to change minutes to hours/days/month. So if you set it to 4 hours, wouldn't that do what you want?

DoctorMO
January 28th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I am using this in arch, but I have an option to change minutes to hours/days/month. So if you set it to 4 hours, wouldn't that do what you want?

You've got a modified version?

Dianoga
January 28th, 2009, 10:43 PM
You've got a modified version?

I installed it using the PKGBUILD from: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=19101. Looks like it uses the latest stable source in launchpad. Not sure how that relates to the .deb though.

jamesisin
January 30th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Well, I had this running (and loving it) in Hardy. But that move to 8.10 rather, as you know, borked things.

For my part, everything works except the cron job. I can manually select anything from the config dialog and even click the Refresh button to manually randomize a new image. But it won't do a damned thing on its own.

Great work so far. I hope you find something useful in terms of fixing this problem with 8.10 (and later).

When you get a fix, let me know and I'll do a write up on my blog (which I started but didn't finish because of the forking borking).

James

jofunu
February 3rd, 2009, 10:43 PM
In the meantime, if like me you just want the wallpaper to change after each login, set /usr/bin/random-wallpaper as a startup program under Sessions.

The gnome-wallchanger-config will fail silently while the cron job is still there. If you want to change the settings while using the above method you must remove the cron job using crontab -e in a terminal.

I think each time you run gnome-wallchanger-config it will re-add the cron job, so each time you want to run it you will have to remove the job again.

DoctorMO
February 3rd, 2009, 11:18 PM
The gnome-wallchanger-config will fail silently while the cron job is still there. If you want to change the settings while using the above method you must remove the cron job using crontab -e in a terminal.

Or I suppose you could just turn off the repeat in the gnome-wallchanger-config.

jamesisin
February 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM
No, I rarely restart or logout of my machine. Unless there is a problem. So, I just change the background by pushing the button (for now).

Looking forward to a solution.

kaivalagi
February 6th, 2009, 08:56 PM
No, I rarely restart or logout of my machine. Unless there is a problem. So, I just change the background by pushing the button (for now).

Looking forward to a solution.

A short term solution would be to use a script which loops and calls the random-wallpaper script at regular intervals.

e.g.:

#!/bin/sh

while true; do
random-wallpaper #randomise the wallpaper
sleep 30m # wait for 30 minutes
done

Then just call the script in your session startup. Change "30m" to be whatever you want to wait for, 2 hours would 120m for example.

Script attached

theApokalypsis
February 9th, 2009, 10:03 AM
great app. just what I was looking for.

thanks DoctorMO

binskipy2u
February 9th, 2009, 12:56 PM
which apps, debs and libs do i install and in what order from the main page..
i am currently using desktop drapes, but every single reboot, its empty and i have to reload all pictures.. i have no idea why, figured it would make sense that it would keep what you put in there for it to rotate..
thanks

DoctorMO
February 9th, 2009, 02:52 PM
kaivalagi, that is the kind of thing that's needed. But instead of being a script (which IMO is a waste of resources) there should be a GUI level cron.

Perhaps it's time I fixed the problem by bringing a user cron into the GUI session. I don't know, I'd need to talk more to the ubuntu core devs about the best way to do it.

kaivalagi
February 9th, 2009, 07:26 PM
kaivalagi, that is the kind of thing that's needed. But instead of being a script (which IMO is a waste of resources) there should be a GUI level cron.

Perhaps it's time I fixed the problem by bringing a user cron into the GUI session. I don't know, I'd need to talk more to the ubuntu core devs about the best way to do it.

I totally agree, using a script to update something every 30 minutes is far from ideal...cron for updates every minute or more makes total sense.

So, I assume the idea is to setup a user cron job rather than a system level one from the GUI, so gconf access is back again for each execution? Or is that a no go either?

JBlade
February 15th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Great program! I'll survive with it's limited functionality due to my using Iblex until it can be fixed! I'm rather patient. Props to you for your hard work.

Ninesvnsicks
April 12th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Has anyone come up with a solution for the auto-changing problem? It doesn't seem to be deleting the wallpapers after use even tho I have the option enabled. Also I had an idea I am using 2 monitors would it be possible to have it put a different wallpaper on each screen a "Multi Monitor" section. Right now it just stretches the images across both and looks really pixelated.

Ninesvnsicks
April 12th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I'm having more problems, I was using the refresh button to change the wallpaper and now when I go to open gnome-wallchanger-config I get this error.

ninesvnsicks@ninesvnsicks ~ $ gnome-wallchanger-config
Looking for translations in /usr/share/wallpaper-changer/po
/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/gnome-wallchanger-config.py:59: GtkWarning: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated
return gtk.glade.XML(os.path.join(glade_dir, file), inital, app)
/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/gnome-wallchanger-config.py:80: GtkWarning: gdk_window_set_icon_list: icons too large
self.window.show()
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/gnome-wallchanger-config.py", line 242, in <module>
manager = SettingsManager()
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/gnome-wallchanger-config.py", line 55, in __init__
self.initGUI()
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/gnome-wallchanger-config.py", line 95, in initGUI
self.changeChange(self.widget('change_'+change))
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/gnome-wallchanger-config.py", line 159, in changeChange
self.updateCron()
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/gnome-wallchanger-config.py", line 202, in updateCron
tab = CronTab()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/crontab.py", line 94, in __init__
self.read()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/crontab.py", line 103, in read
cron = CronItem(line)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/crontab.py", line 183, in __init__
self.parse(line)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/crontab.py", line 204, in parse
self.set_slices( value.split(' ') )
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/crontab.py", line 211, in set_slices
self.slices.append(CronSlice(value=o[i], **s_info[i]))
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/crontab.py", line 277, in __init__
self.value(value)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/crontab.py", line 292, in value
raise ValueError, 'Unknown cron time part for %s: %s' % (self.name, part)
ValueError: Unknown cron time part for Minutes: @reboot
ninesvnsicks@ninesvnsicks ~ $

BTW DoctorMO I love hitchhikers guide to the galaxy :P

jamesisin
April 12th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I am sure you will all be interested in this:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/18979/

Especially solution number six (you're welcome).

Ninesvnsicks
April 15th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I hope it works with 9.04 since it's coming out in 9 days.

DoctorMO
April 16th, 2009, 01:21 AM
It's Done!

I got it fixed, see here:

http://doctormo.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/wallchanger-finally-for-intrepid-and-jaunty/

Let me know about problems.

Roanoke
April 16th, 2009, 05:57 AM
The ability to specify wallpaper source files' size would be nice (IE exactly a certain size, less than or equal to a certain size, and greater than or equal to a certain size). Also, a smooth transition from one image to the next would be awesome. Otherwise, this is great. The earth view is particularly nice.

jamesisin
April 18th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Do you have a debugger? It's not really working for me (8.10).

DoctorMO
April 18th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Could you run it from the command line and report back the error? Perhaps add it to a launchpad bug report?

Roanoke
April 18th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Oh, and something else: I configured my panels to only show 1px when hidden, but there's now a margin between the top and bottom of the wallpaper and top and bottom of the available screen estate. How can I fix this without distorting the wallpaper by stretching it?

jamesisin
April 18th, 2009, 07:58 PM
You know, I'm not sure where I'd begin with a bug report... it's gone renegade.

I killed all four (I think it was four) items using my System Monitor (2 python items, a shell, and something else if I remember correctly) and now it's functioning.

Note that I did not say "killed all four items and restarted them". If I run
ps waxf | grep wallpaper the only item I get returned is
10231 pts/0 S+ 0:00 \_ grep wallpaper. And yet it's working.

So, how would I go about running it from the command line in this scenario?

jamesisin
April 18th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Oh, and something else: I configured my panels to only show 1px when hidden, but there's now a margin between the top and bottom of the wallpaper and top and bottom of the available screen estate. How can I fix this without distorting the wallpaper by stretching it?

You have to change your image style by right-clicking on the desktop and choosing "Change Desktop Background" from the context menu. Make certain you see the wallpaper-changer image selected and then set the Style (I keep mine at Scaled, but you perhaps want Fill Screen or Centered).

Roanoke
April 18th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks. That worked.

DoctorMO
April 18th, 2009, 09:58 PM
. And yet it's working.

Yes it runs from the crontab, no sense creating a daemon to do the crontab's job eh.

Check it like this: `crontab -l`

So, how would I go about running it from the command line in this scenario?

There are two scripts, one is the gnome settings gui and the other is the script that runs from the crontab. I'd need to know which one fails.

Ninesvnsicks
April 18th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Is it possible to add a feature for multi monitor systems to display a separate wallpaper on each monitor? Right now it stretches them across both and looks really pixelated.

DoctorMO
April 18th, 2009, 10:26 PM
It's possible if you worked with me or paid me to do it for you. Wouldn't be hard or expensive.

Ninesvnsicks
April 18th, 2009, 10:55 PM
It's possible if you worked with me or paid me to do it for you. Wouldn't be hard or expensive.

Awwww :*( I have no job atm and I'm not a programmer I wish I did and was tho. But if you need someone to test it on their system I am happy to.

DoctorMO
April 18th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Ninesvnsicks: Who does these day.

Ninesvnsicks
April 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM
ninesvnsicks: Who does these day.
lol

jamesisin
April 18th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I am still plugging for your tool:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/19200/

Also, you didn't give me instructions for running the changer from the command line. Tell me how and I'll get you the results.

DoctorMO
April 19th, 2009, 01:07 AM
It's simply:

random-wallpaper

zephyrcat
April 20th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Though I haven't gotten to try this yet, I would suggest adding I Can Has Cheezburger and/or Failblog to the options. I believe they both have RSS feeds.

CraigPaleo
April 20th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Marvelous! Someone was recently asking about something like this that would change with the weather. Would it be easy to incorporate that functionality into this program?

kaivalagi
April 20th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Marvelous! Someone was recently asking about something like this that would change with the weather. Would it be easy to incorporate that functionality into this program?

It randomises wallpaper, it has no way to connect wallpaper type to a situation - last time I checked anyway

I guess with the British weather the way it is you could just setup wallpapers for all weather types and randomise twice a day, you never know it might be better than the forecast :)

DoctorMO
April 20th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Add a rote option which would disconnect the randomiser and pick the next one in line. And then add an rss feed with the weather images? Sure.

kaivalagi
April 20th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I stand corrected :)

melat0nin
April 20th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. When I run gnome-wallchanger-config from the terminal I see this:

laurence@melat0nin:~$ gnome-wallchanger-config

(nothing out of the ordinary)

and when I change the wallpaper it gives a message telling which wallpaper it is changing to, but nothing happens. I have disabled the Compiz wallpaper plugin and logged out and back in but neither made a difference.

Any thoughts? I am running Intrepid.

DoctorMO
April 20th, 2009, 06:59 PM
melat0nin: have you made sure that the correct background is set in System > Preferences > Appearance > Background(tab)

melat0nin
April 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM
melat0nin: have you made sure that the correct background is set in System > Preferences > Appearance > Background(tab)

That was the problem, sorry! I didn't notice there was another entry in the list of images.

Roanoke
April 22nd, 2009, 04:06 AM
Is the earthview wallpaper "prerecorded"?

DoctorMO
April 22nd, 2009, 04:23 AM
No it's as live as you can get. I'm watching the weather patterns, look out for hurricanes when they appear on the weather news.

Roanoke
April 22nd, 2009, 04:56 AM
Oooh, cool. :D

Ninesvnsicks
April 25th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I just installed jaunty 9.04 and I added the repository to software sources and imported the key but when I open synaptic gnome-wallchanger is not there?

kaivalagi
April 25th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I just installed jaunty 9.04 and I added the repository to software sources and imported the key but when I open synaptic gnome-wallchanger is not there?

Did you click "reload" in Synaptic first to update the package information?

Ninesvnsicks
April 25th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Did you click "reload" in Synaptic first to update the package information?

Of course I also tried apt-get update and apt-get install and it still doesn't find it.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1599/screenshotvvy.png

DoctorMO
April 25th, 2009, 06:32 PM
As far as I can see... I didn't have a jaunty release. But if you'd like to have one, I'll make one.

Check this page to see if the software you need from my ppa is available: https://launchpad.net/~doctormo/+archive/ppa

Ninesvnsicks
April 25th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Oh well that would certainly explain it lol, ok page says published 1 hour ago so I'm just waiting for it to show up thanks DoctorMO.

EDIT:
Well it showed up but when I went to install I got this error:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1253/10216683.png

melat0nin
April 26th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Oh well that would certainly explain it lol, ok page says published 1 hour ago so I'm just waiting for it to show up thanks DoctorMO.

EDIT:
Well it showed up but when I went to install I got this error:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1253/10216683.png

I had the same problem; the solution was to install the relevant debs from DoctorMO's launchpad PPA page. After that I could install gnome-wallchanger no problem.

DoctorMO
April 26th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I've just pushed some jaunty deps too... sorry about that.

Ninesvnsicks
April 26th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I just did what melat0nin did and it seems to work fine :)

BTW how do you guys like Ubuntu 9.04 so far?

Roanoke
April 26th, 2009, 04:26 AM
It doesn't work for me (it doesn't save its config, either). Terminal output, after setting custom settings:

$ gnome-wallchanger-config
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/random-wallpaper.py", line 28, in <module>
backgrounds = get_lister('default', config)
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/lister.py", line 360, in get_lister
return item(*vars)
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/lister.py", line 44, in __init__
for item in config['used']:
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
$

melat0nin
April 26th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I guess the thing to do now is find some nice wallpaper RSS feeds!

I tried to muddle through and write a PHP parser for the Interfacelift RSS feed which would work with gnome-wallchanger, but my skills don't stretch to that :(

melat0nin
April 26th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Yeah it's not working right for me, either.

When I try to tell it to use a local folder full of wallpapers, it gives this message to the terminal:

@Downloading: http://www.opentopia.com/images/cams/world_sunlight_map_rectangular.jpg
< Saving downloaded file to folder/world_sunlight_map_rectangular.jpg
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/random-wallpaper.py", line 31, in <module>
filename = wallpapers.getRandom()
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/lister.py", line 68, in getRandom
return self.useItem(item)
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/lister.py", line 80, in useItem
item = self.getItem(itemref)
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/lister.py", line 101, in getItem
return self.downloadItem( itemref )
File "/usr/share/wallpaper-changer/lister.py", line 113, in downloadItem
fh = open(path, 'wb')
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'folder/world_sunlight_map_rectangular.jpg'

...needless to say, the wallpaper doesn't change.

Any thoughts? I've installed in Jaunty from the PPA.

Ninesvnsicks
April 27th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Mine seems to be changing my wallpaper fine however, the delete wallpaper after use doesn't seem to be deleting them.

jamesisin
April 28th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Mine seems to be changing my wallpaper fine however, the delete wallpaper after use doesn't seem to be deleting them.

Mine doesn't save them and I have it marked to do so. You might try reversing the setting and see if it's backward.

Ninesvnsicks
April 28th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I tried to change any setting but it wont let me change anything that might be why I'm having the problem when I first set it up I had it unchecked. Basically it's not letting you change settings.

jamesisin
April 30th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Not sure how it came to this, but it's not running again. This time I can't find any reference to wallpaper-changer in ps/top/system monitor (top and the sys mon don't change when I click the Refresh button, but ps does list /bin/sh /usr/bin/gnome-wallchanger-config and \_ /usr/bin/python /usr/share/wallpaper-changer/gnome-wallchanger-config.py when I have the dialog running).

I tried running wallpaper-changer from the command line and it merely echoes the current image being used (including its path).

Any other trouble shooting I can do?

Roanoke
April 30th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Looks like it's failing for everybody.

xeddog
May 1st, 2009, 01:17 AM
Been a long time since anyone added anything to this thread, but for an improvement, how about the ability to display a separate wallpaper on each monitor in a multiple monitor system?

xeddog

yabbadabbadont
May 1st, 2009, 01:41 AM
Been a long time since anyone added anything to this thread, but for an improvement, how about the ability to display a separate wallpaper on each monitor in a multiple monitor system?

xeddog

I'm pretty sure that that issue has already been raised, and responded to, within the last several pages of this thread. :D

Edit: Yep, here->http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7096871&postcount=208
Edit2: And the reply is here->http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7096893&postcount=209

Ninesvnsicks
May 1st, 2009, 06:28 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure what "work with me" means in this case but I am willing to help out anyway I can but I'm not a Linux guru, I'll certainly test the multi monitor if he doesn't have a setup like that.

EDIT:
I still can't change any settings.

Ninesvnsicks
May 4th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Any updates?

DoctorMO
May 4th, 2009, 07:33 PM
No updates Ninesvnsicks, sorry. I've been focusing on paid work and I just happen to get sick this weekend :-(

Ninesvnsicks
May 5th, 2009, 12:15 AM
oh ok np I am sick too with a cold or something.

Ninesvnsicks
May 11th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Is anyone else having trouble with not being able to make changes to settings?

Roanoke
May 11th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Everyone.

DoctorMO
May 11th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I hope not, what are the steps?