PDA

View Full Version : iTunes revolt!

Nitroware
August 13th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I personally am unbelieveabally (i spelled that wrong!) sick of iTunes. I have seen in earlier posts that we should make an open source store for the people like us who are locked up with either Windows or Mac to use our music. This is completely unacceptable, and I have had enough. There are other companies out there that either have more DRM's or require Credit Card. I hate DRM's and I dont want to give out my ccard # (I use PayPal). I dont now much of ther legal aspects of this sort of operation, but I know somebody on this forum does. If you are done with iTunes, and want to start something new, join this project, and we will create something good for the music industry. I have no project name, no project info, nothing yet. If I can get enough help, I will though. I have some web space (not a lot), but I can and wil host a forum for this in due time. This is what I need:

A linux programmer (as many as I can get, any OS)
A few PHP devs (I am one, but more will help)
Server Security help (Im not overly informed in this aspect)
Law savy people (at least in the music and copyright sections of the law)

If I am missing something, I will need to know about this too!

joshdudeha
August 13th, 2008, 04:37 PM
What kinda programming do you want?

Would be keen to do this (:

Nepherte
August 13th, 2008, 04:39 PM
So something like Jamendo? http://www.jamendo.com/

Nitroware
August 13th, 2008, 04:40 PM
What kinda programming do you want?

Would be keen to do this (:
I dont care. I am not overly savy in linux programming, I just have a ton of experience in PHP/MySQL web programming. I will be most useful in this area. If you know a language and want to help, you are going to be very useful. You would be creating an interface for linux (ideally GUI), so that people can use the store through an application not just the web. Windows programers will be needed also for a windows interface.

What do you mean keen :)?

Nitroware
August 13th, 2008, 04:44 PM
So something like Jamendo? http://www.jamendo.com/
mabey, but they have 11163 albums that nobody has ever heard of, plus its really ugly ( :) ). We will need to keep up with the times, and keep our hands on the new releases. I didnt see any of the new albums or songs. They have a good idea, but I know we could do better.

Canis familiaris
August 13th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Why not buy a Music CD? /joke

Good Luck. But really tthings go deep into this DRM. :(

joshdudeha
August 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Keen* Willing to do something to help (:

joshdudeha
August 13th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I'm not too good at programming though :/
only 14.
I can do stuff, like web design and graphics... if you wanted?

ilrudie
August 13th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Amazon.com has an mp3 store that sells drm-free music. It has a pretty good selection from what I've seen and I have had no problems with the quality. They have Windows, OS X and Linux* clients. All in all I have been very impressed with it but hey, competition is always good.

Good luck with your project.

*As a side note I have not attempted installing their Linux client since I have a mac laptop which I used to download the music but it plays fine on Ubuntu. I can try installing the Linux client later today.

DeadSuperHero
August 13th, 2008, 05:17 PM
You could also have a look at eMusic and Magnatune.

Nitroware
August 13th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Keen* Willing to do something to help (:
ok, This is what im going to do. I will create a website for this project (a forum for now). I will post in the new forum the project outline!

Unimportant: this will need a name first! lol. :) ideas? Open thumper, open symphony, open tune(s), etc.

doorknob60
August 13th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Amazon.com has an mp3 store that sells drm-free music. It has a pretty good selection from what I've seen and I have had no problems with the quality. They have Windows, OS X and Linux* clients. All in all I have been very impressed with it but hey, competition is always good.

Good luck with your project.

*As a side note I have not attempted installing their Linux client since I have a mac laptop which I used to download the music but it plays fine on Ubuntu. I can try installing the Linux client later today.

+1, Amazon is where I go to buy music nowadays :) The client for x86 Debian Etch has no problems on x86_64 Debian Lenny either :-P It'd be nice if they had a generic binary that worked on any distro though.

Nitroware
August 13th, 2008, 05:29 PM
+1, Amazon is where I go to buy music nowadays :) The client for x86 Debian Etch has no problems on x86_64 Debian Lenny either :-P It'd be nice if they had a generic binary that worked on any distro though.
the problem with them is, they require a ccard, and you cant make software for it easily.

Nitroware
August 13th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I'm not too good at programming though :/
only 14.
I can do stuff, like web design and graphics... if you wanted?
Ok, any help we can get will be good. I am not the strongest in web design, so you may be a big help!

DeadSuperHero
August 13th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I think now would be a golden opportunity to throw in my old idea, Project Siren.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=577954

hessiess
August 13th, 2008, 05:33 PM
If you do gat anywere with this plese offer music in FLAC, MP3 sounds crap.

Nitroware
August 13th, 2008, 05:36 PM
You could also have a look at eMusic and Magnatune.
eMusic requires credit card, to do anything, which seems way too fishy. Again, I want to make this a sysem where you can use paypal, as a checkout, for security and simplicity.

Nitroware
August 13th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I just want to start getting music, let alone know what type of compression we will use.

I think for now, I will call it opensymphony. Its not up yet, but give me a few hours, and it will be at opensymphony.nitroware.org

This project will however have to charge for music, to keep it legal. Nothing high, just $.99 a song or $9.99 an album.

Swarms
August 13th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I just want to start getting music, let alone know what type of compression we will use.

I think for now, I will call it opensymphony. Its not up yet, but give me a few hours, and it will be at opensymphony.nitroware.org

This project will however have to charge for music, to keep it legal. Nothing high, just $.99 a song or $9.99 an album.

You have the digital rights for the music you are going to sell?

joshdudeha
August 13th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Yes, that's the big problem, you'd need a massive amount of money. . to pay for the right to sell people's music :/

Kernel Sanders
August 13th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Maybe you could fork songbird and then add the features you need?

Nitroware
August 13th, 2008, 06:05 PM
isnt there a way to just pay the record companies by the song, perhaps get away with our size, do that.. Sponsors, perhaps, could also work.

ilrudie
August 13th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I personally trust amazon way more than paypal. I don't see paypal as all that secure. I also don't see the problem with using a credit card online since you are protected against fraudulent transactions and your liability is or is close to zero in the case of fraud. Yeah its annoying to sort out but atleast you can get your money back. What is your reasoning behind not wanting to use credit cards?

You should definitely include the ability to pay with credit card in your service because not everyone has and/or wants a paypal account and its just silly to make people sign up for 2 accounts just for 1 service.

Nepherte
August 13th, 2008, 07:39 PM
You have the digital rights for the music you are going to sell?
That is so true. How are you going to convince the great music labels to let you sell their albums at a reasonable price?

Swarms
August 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
What I would do was to make some plugins for the popular music stores that could work as clients for buying music from the Amazon Store, I am sure they are interested in reaching a wider audience.

But again it takes a lot of communication and luck.

Exsecrabilus
August 13th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I personally am unbelieveabally (i spelled that wrong!) sick of iTunes. I have seen in earlier posts that we should make an open source store for the people like us who are locked up with either Windows or Mac to use our music. This is completely unacceptable, and I have had enough. There are other companies out there that either have more DRM's or require Credit Card. I hate DRM's and I dont want to give out my ccard # (I use PayPal). I dont now much of ther legal aspects of this sort of operation, but I know somebody on this forum does. If you are done with iTunes, and want to start something new, join this project, and we will create something good for the music industry. I have no project name, no project info, nothing yet. If I can get enough help, I will though. I have some web space (not a lot), but I can and wil host a forum for this in due time. This is what I need:

A linux programmer (as many as I can get, any OS)
A few PHP devs (I am one, but more will help)
Server Security help (Im not overly informed in this aspect)
Law savy people (at least in the music and copyright sections of the law)

If I am missing something, I will need to know about this too!
No.