PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install issue

Chondro_Biak
August 13th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I am banging my head against the wall here...

I have built a new computer:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS4P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
XFX PVT96GYDDU GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
SAMSUNG SH-S223F DVD Burner
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 KHX8500D2K2/2G

and I am trying to load Hardy on it. I get thrugh the install perfect... But then I reboot and get the splash screen, that shows the load bar it stops at like 1/16". If I hit crtl+alt+F1 it shows the video card resolution failing... It fails 4 times and bring me to some funky kind of terminal...

So I have identified that the drivers for my video card are not there yet. I have identified that I can fix this problem by installing ENVY (just one option)...

So my question is, how do I fix this? I can not get to a normal terminal to install Envy and I can not get to a terminal to edit my x server.

Any suggestions?

Kevbert
August 13th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Did you check the ISO file that you downloaded with md5sum (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM) (checksum) ?
Did you burn the CD at the slowest speed possible and then perform a CD check ?
Have you performed a memory check (via the CD memory ? It's possible to run Windows with dodgy memory.

Chondro_Biak
August 13th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I did burn the DVD at 4x speed and I did do a cd check before I installed using the cd's cd checker.
I did not check it with md5sum, however I have downloaded and burned copies for 7.10 standard and alt as well as the 8.04 standard and alt and get the same thing.
Also I have used the same DVD to install Hardy on at least 5 other computers. I did burn a new copy just in case the DVD was dammaged and I did not see it, using the same iso used before and I get the same issue on the boot.

I am pretty sure this is a video card issue?

Kevbert
August 13th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Looks like you've done everything correctly. You say you can get to a 'funny kind of terminal'. Does that come up with a $ or # sign ? If so you can use nano to edit your xorg.conf file with

sudo nano -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf
What you need to edit and change at this stage I'm not sure of ? Maybe there's someone else who can help....

Chondro_Biak
August 13th, 2008, 04:20 PM
The terminal is not accepting what I consider normal terminal commands. sudo is not a recognized command. I think the terminal is called busy box of something like that...

jimmyhacker
August 13th, 2008, 06:30 PM
i get same error.md5sum gone good,but installation fails and monitor is screwed:lolflag::lolflag:fuccin OS

Chondro_Biak
August 13th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Jimmy
Is yours popping up with busy box?