PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Midnigh commander under terminal in Gnome

lormitto
August 13th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Hi

I am glad that forum like this exists couse it helped my few times in the past.

However I could not find solution for my new problem.

Let's say that i've got two terminals opened. Each of them has Midnight Commander running. I try to edit files. I would like to copy from one window to another but it's impossible. Ctrl+c, Ctrl+v don't work. It would increase speed of my work but still got no idea what to do.

Could you help?

Tim Sharitt
August 13th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I don't know about midnight commander specifically, but in gnome-terminal the copy and paste keyboard shortcuts are Shift+Ctrl+C and Shift+Ctrl+V.

lormitto
August 13th, 2008, 11:33 PM
in fact I am considering moving one part of text from one window from mcedit to another.

mcduck
August 14th, 2008, 05:04 AM
like said, use shift-ctr-c and shift-ctrl-v, or even better, the linux-style coypaste: just highlight the text you wish to copy and then middle-click to paste it.

lormitto
August 14th, 2008, 08:19 AM
but what to do if I could edit file using mcedit. Copy paste like you wrote works perfectly but i can not use it in mcedit.

Taras Novokhatko
December 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM
try to use "Copy to file(C+f)/Insert file(F15)" - It's a feature of mcedit

Dimath
November 10th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Let me revive this, please, cause nothing really changed since then.

MCEdit from Midnight Commander uses Ctrl+Ins/Shift+Ins to Copy/Past parts of text. For a reason unknown to me, gnome-terminal does not pass these key combinations, as can be seen with
showkey -a

Since, as I understand, it can not be fixed, may be someone at least knows the reason for that?

PS: Gnome-terminal shortcuts, like Ctrl+Shift+C, does not work in that case either. Others sometimes suggested ways, like copying with mouse, are not convenient at all.
This also works fine with other console applications, for example 'konsole'.