PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Does Ubuntu work on HP Pavillion notebooks??

webcontrol7
August 13th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Hi,

I am planning to buy a laptop. HP Pavillion dv6800 is one of the model which i liked. All the pavillion models comes with Vista Home Edition. Is is possible to install Ubuntu on it also with the exsisting OS ??

infinitejones
August 13th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I'm running Ubuntu Hardy on a Pavillion dv6800 with no problems at all.

If you download the latest stable CD image of Hardy you can run it as a live CD to check whether it works - your laptop will be running Ubuntu but from the CD, not the hard drive. The performance may not be as fast as if it's installed on the hard disk (because a CD drive is slower than a hard drive) but it will let you test it without changing a single thing on your hard drive.

Then, when you're happy that it all works, you can just click on the Install link on the Live CD desktop and it will install it alongside Vista. You'll be able to choose each time you boot up whether you want to run Vista or Ubuntu.

If you're getting any errors or problems, just post another message here with as much detail as possible and someone will be able to help you!

Good luck!

Anzan
August 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM
We have Hardy running with no problems on two dv9000s.

ginnie6
August 13th, 2008, 02:23 PM
hardy here on a dv9610. I did have to do a fix to get the broadcom wireless working but its posted on the forums and only took a few minutes.Everything else works great.

henkeC
August 13th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Running on my dv6822, no problems what so ever...!:KS

rocknzen
August 13th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hi,

I am planning to buy a laptop. HP Pavillion dv6800 is one of the model which i liked. All the pavillion models comes with Vista Home Edition. Is is possible to install Ubuntu on it also with the exsisting OS ??
Running Hardy Heron on Pavillion dv6110 with no problems. But it did take me a little while to setup wireless. Just make sure that you can connect hardwire ethernet to get all necessary updates and/or drivers. Best decision I ever made going to Ubuntu/Linux.

Initially I had dual boot setup but after using Ubuntu for a few days and taking it through its paces I decided to scrap dual config. and repartitioned and reinstalled to Ubuntu/Linux only. The only downside at this point is gaming (which sounds like it is being worked on for future). But I am in the process of building a gaming rig that will have dual boot with WindowsXP Media Edition/Ubuntu.

Otherwise anything you can do in Windows you can do with Ubuntu. It's just a new way of doing things for us noobs.