PDA

View Full Version : Intel has announced a its new chip: Core i7

Lord Xeb
August 13th, 2008, 05:18 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/new-intel-chip-to-be-called-i7/2008/08/11/1218306734254.html

Darkhack
August 13th, 2008, 05:43 AM
These chips are pretty amazing. They will be, on average, 35% percent faster than the Core 2 of a similar clock speed all while using 30% less power to do so. They use DDR3 memory and have a new feature called QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) which directly connects the CPU to memory and other chips on the motherboard without the use of a Front Side Bus (FSB) making the FSB obsolete. Performance with QPI and DDR3 is 1.7x faster than FSB with DDR2.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-nehalem-core,5854.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Nehalem_(microarchitecture)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors

LaRoza
August 13th, 2008, 05:46 AM
My mouth is watering...

TheSlipstream
August 13th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I feel sorry for AMD. Intel is kicking them while they're down.

LaRoza
August 13th, 2008, 06:03 AM
I feel sorry for AMD. Intel is kicking them while they're down.

Intel isn't doing anything to them. AMD showed them they can't rely on their name, and Intel is making better products. Competition: It is a good thing.

Atomic Dog
August 13th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Intel isn't doing anything to them. AMD showed them they can't rely on their name, and Intel is making better products. Competition: It is a good thing.

I think he just meant Intel is really pouring it on. Intel chips really do perform great. We have switched to all core2 workstations at work, OK well I decided we needed to make the investment, and everybody is amazed at the speed.

ps. Love my E8500.

ghindo
August 13th, 2008, 06:48 AM
It's a shame that we'll probably have to wait about a year or so for these to be affordable :(

Oh well. More cheap Core 2 Duos, I guess.

Canis familiaris
August 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM
AMD showed them they can't rely on their name,
Why not?

They use DDR3 memory and have a new feature called QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) which directly connects the CPU to memory and other chips on the motherboard without the use of a Front Side Bus (FSB) making the FSB obsolete. Performance with QPI and DDR3 is 1.7x faster than FSB with DDR2.

New Feature?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTransport

MONODA
August 13th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Competition: It is a good thing.
that's debatable...

Atomic Dog
August 13th, 2008, 08:25 AM
that's debatable...

How so? Competition from AMD pushed Intel to make better processors. AMD will try to find a way to rival Intel again. The cycle pushes innovation.

MONODA
August 13th, 2008, 10:18 AM
How so? Competition from AMD pushed Intel to make better processors. AMD will try to find a way to rival Intel again. The cycle pushes innovation.
I am not going to answer that in order to prevent further hi-jacking of the thread. Sorry everyone.

icett
August 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM
It's a shame that we'll probably have to wait about a year or so for these to be affordable :(

Oh well. More cheap Core 2 Duos, I guess.

Why we would have to wait for about an year or so for these to be affordable? Wouldn't we be able to buy them after 2-3 months of their release when the prices may drop? What do you think the average price would be? Would it be too high? I personally think that normal people would be able to buy them after two or three months of their launch when their prices would drop. They would be affordable by then. But I dont know when they are being released. Do you have an idea? Do you think we would see them by November?:confused:

billgoldberg
August 13th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I was thinking about buying a new pc in a few months, but I'll wait untill these bad boys hit the market.

I kind of like the name Nehalem better then Core i7.

Isn't anyone else tired of the "i" in front of everything computer related?

Moustacha
August 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I was thinking about buying a new pc in a few months, but I'll wait untill these bad boys hit the market.

iHate iIs iInfront iOf iEverything. It seems people are iJumping on the iBandwagon to make themselves sound "hip" and "cool" with the young "dudes"
<cue misinformed speech & movie by a crackpot ala fear and loathing in las vegas at the police convention>

icett
August 13th, 2008, 01:21 PM

And icett. The person who taught the world about computers back in 1800.:lolflag:

Canis familiaris
August 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM

Actually this 'i' has traditionally used for long by Intel, much before Apple Hijacked it.
I think that 'i' refers to intel

Moustacha
August 13th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Actually this 'i' has traditionally used for long by Intel, much before Apple Hijacked it.

The 'i' wasn't branded as a gimmick, it was meant for intel, such as i[ntel]386, i[ntel]8086 etc. So maybe it's meant to be i[ntel]7, since it would be the i786

JillSwift
August 13th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Isn't anyone else tired of the "i" in front of everything computer related?iAm

Canis familiaris
August 13th, 2008, 01:31 PM
iAm
iSee

Canis familiaris
August 13th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I am not going to answer that in order to prevent further hi-jacking of the thread. Sorry everyone.

Could you PM me then? :razz:

Bölvağur
August 13th, 2008, 01:45 PM
i before a noun as in iTesla has been in programming for a long time to indicate that this iTesla variable is an integer.
I'm not sure, but very positive that it is waaaaay older than i286 or other products like that... but then again.. there are people here that should know.

icett
August 13th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Why we would have to wait for about an year or so for these to be affordable? Wouldn't we be able to buy them after 2-3 months of their release when the prices may drop? What do you think the average price would be? Would it be too high? I personally think that normal people would be able to buy them after two or three months of their launch when their prices would drop. They would be affordable by then. But I dont know when they are being released. Do you have an idea? Do you think we would see them by November?:confused:

iRequest everyone to put some light on this matter. best iregards:):popcorn:

pparks1
August 13th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I'm a fan of the competition. Back in the day, I switched back and forth between the Intel and the AMD offerings pretty frequently. Then, when AMD released the Athlon line of CPU's...they were dominating the market. I used nothing but AMD during these times. And that was quite a long time.

Then, when Intel released the Core 2 Duo's...everything changed again. It was Intel dominating the game, from power consumption, to performance and all at a great price. For these reasons, I have been recommending Intel for all performance builds. I only recommend AMD today for a lower cost budget rig when performance corners can be cut.

I'm not a loyalist in any way to CPU's. It ALWAYS comes down to best bang for the buck. And right now, Intel has this one. I expect AMD to come roaring back in the future though.

billgoldberg
August 13th, 2008, 02:12 PM

I know it, I wasn't referring to apple.

I just can't stand the term anymore.

BlueSkyNIS
August 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Why we would have to wait for about an year or so for these to be affordable? Wouldn't we be able to buy them after 2-3 months of their release when the prices may drop? What do you think the average price would be? Would it be too high? ...snip...

Because AMD (Intel main competitor) currently doesn't have any competitive product to offer. Phenoms are very power hungry and in performance behind Core2Duo's comparing clock to clock. AMD is planing to launch 45 nm fabrication processors very soon with higher clock and better power efficiency. Even then the new Intel Core i7 will be faster. Because of the lack of competition they (Intel) will keep their prices very high and those parts will be reserved only for performance segment. For mainstream and low end market they are planing somewhat crippled products and current line of 45 nm Core 2 Duos....

mips
August 13th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Has AMD not been using hyper transport for a good while now?

Canis familiaris
August 13th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Has AMD not been using hyper transport for a good while now?

Yes for a really long time. Eons, in technical world. :)

Lord Xeb
August 13th, 2008, 06:24 PM
My mouth is watering and I am about to crap bricks :awesome:

BlueSkyNIS
August 13th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I do hope so next AMD 45nm CPUs will be very good products :(

Canis familiaris
August 13th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I do hope so next AMD 45nm CPUs will be very good products :(

I dont think they will keep up with Nehalem as it seems. I hope they beat Yorkfield though.

ghindo
August 13th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Why we would have to wait for about an year or so for these to be affordable? Wouldn't we be able to buy them after 2-3 months of their release when the prices may drop? What do you think the average price would be? Would it be too high? I personally think that normal people would be able to buy them after two or three months of their launch when their prices would drop. They would be affordable by then. But I dont know when they are being released. Do you have an idea? Do you think we would see them by November?:confused:Depends what you find "affordable." I'm kinda cheap and would only buy an i7 if it were under $200. The lowest-priced i7 model coming out this year is $284, which is a bit steep for me.

tbroderick
August 14th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Depends what you find "affordable." I'm kinda cheap and would only buy an i7 if it were under $200. The lowest-priced i7 model coming out this year is $284, which is a bit steep for me.

Plus you'll need a new motherboard cause it's not compatible with Socket LGA775 And you might need ddr3 memory cause early reports says it won't work with ddr2.