PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu as a media PC

andale
August 13th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I wanna create a media pc and I'm trying to get opinions on several forums.
I would like to put Ubuntu 8.04 (or similar) on my pc and either set it up to be a media center or find a front-end program for Ubuntu. Any thoughts? Would it be easier to just use either WinXP MCE or MacOSx86?

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (2.083Ghz)
2 Gigs Ram (ddr333)
10/100 ethernet onboard
onboard audio
BFG Tech nVidia (love it!) 7800 GS OC
hard drive space = plenty

tamoneya
August 13th, 2008, 01:40 AM
hardware looks fine and ubuntu will work well although you should look into mytbuntu. It is ubuntu + mythTV. In otherwords its the HTPC version of ubuntu.

http://www.mythbuntu.org/

Greenknight04
August 13th, 2008, 01:42 AM
As above, lok into Mythbuntu for a combination of Myth TV and Ubuntu. Beyond that, you might consider the media apps you like the most- myth TV, Amarok, etc. Also, a good torrenting clinet would be a lifesaver in many situations.

andale
August 13th, 2008, 02:26 AM
any of you guys try a winTV PVR USB (not usb2) in linux before

andale
August 14th, 2008, 01:11 AM
any other suggestions? xbmc would be great if i had an xbox, but all the info i find on it acts like i shouldn't expect a lot of function from it cuz they haven't finished porting it.
i installed windows media center since i've never tried it. this thing is terrible.

nickgaydos
August 14th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Yep, Mythbuntu is a good choice if you want a Ubuntu Media Center PC. There are many other that I've heard of like Linux Media Center Edition and I think some others.

andale
August 14th, 2008, 05:43 AM
i'm gonna check out Mythbuntu tomorrow since i spent several hours trying to make XBMC work and in the end all i can get it to do is to just flash a black box then disappear