PDA

View Full Version : New Distro - Ubuntu Underwater Edition

kubug
August 12th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Some dudes submerged their computer in tap water and had it run ubuntu. Kinda neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZWdaOV731I

Lster
August 12th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Nutty but smart at the same time! :KS

NoSmokingBandit
August 12th, 2008, 10:09 PM
probably just distilled water. Pure H2O doesnt conduct electricity.
Kinda cool though.

FlyingIsFun1217
August 12th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Hmm, I've seen this done mostly with mineral oil.

FlyingIsFun1217

VitaLiNux
August 12th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Very, geeky, nutty, but cool!!!:guitar:

amazingtaters
August 12th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I've always wanted to build a compy and submerge it in mineral oil. If you put a pump to keep the oil flowing and some sort of small refrigeration unit on it, you could keep your temps pretty darn cold, which could really help with things like the longevity of your parts.

MaxIBoy
August 12th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Says in the video that they soaked the computer in rust inhibitor for a while.

lukjad
August 12th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Insane. But totally awesome. :lolflag:

lisati
August 12th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Nutty but smart at the same time! :KS
Some of the best ideas can seem a little crazy at first....

Kinda cool though.

That gels with what I remember being taught in first-year physics. Presumably the warnings we get about being careful with electrical stuff around water have something to do with what's in the water e.g. chlorine and other chemicals used to "clean" it before we drink it.

NoSmokingBandit
August 13th, 2008, 02:49 AM
That gels with what I remember being taught in first-year physics. Presumably the warnings we get about being careful with electrical stuff around water have something to do with what's in the water e.g. chlorine and other chemicals used to "clean" it before we drink it.

Even spring water has impurities like iron and sodium which make it conduct electricity, but "cleaned" water tends to have potassium, chlorine, sodium, boron, calcium, magnesium and all sorts of other junk floating around in it. "clean" right? :)

Biochem
August 13th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Kinda cool though.

And then evil Biochem passes by and add a pinch of salt.

hvac3901
August 13th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Kinda cool though.\

it dosn't?

ZarathustraDK
August 13th, 2008, 03:49 AM
There's a bit confusion about the water-thingy. Ordinary tap-water contains all sorts of minerals and salts which would conduct electricity and short the board. The same goes for bottled water (Evian etc.). Pure H2O on the other hand, also known as denaturalized water (in danish at least), contains...well...only H2O, and as such does not contain any funky stuff that can form ions that'll short electrical boards.

OTOH denaturalized water is very unhealthy to drink as it disrupts the homeostasis of the body. Salts and ions inside human cells which cannot pass the cellbarrier in order to attain a solution-equilibrium (like milk distributed equally in coffe, making the coffe light-brown), will instead draw the pure H2O into the cells, bursting them like waterballoons (which is pretty unhealthy).

Biochem
August 13th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Also CO2 in the air will disolve in the water and some of it with will transform into carbonate ions (which is why you rarely see milliQ water (the holy grale of pure water at less than 18 milliOhms per centimeter cube) at the theorical pH of 7.0. It's usually more aroud 6.0 and this means that is has some conductivity.

So the real question should be how much conductivity do you need to fry a motherboard?

As for the effect of pure water on the body, I used distilled water to burst read blood cells while preserving leukocytes (white blood cells). So if the drunk nurse at the hospital were to use a water bag instead of a saline you would die from severe anemia.

maxmanapple
August 13th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Some dudes submerged their computer in tap water and had it run ubuntu. Kinda neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZWdaOV731I

you can call it crazy, but i think it's cool.

When the water level would rise, we would know how to make our PC's "water proof" - LOL. But seriously, don't do it if you don't know what you're doing (if you know what you're doing, then proceed.)

NoSmokingBandit
August 13th, 2008, 04:51 AM
also known as denaturalized water (in danish at least
Denaturalized and Distallied are the same thing, just depend on where you come from, lol :D

So the real question should be how much conductivity do you need to fry a motherboard?

I would assume conductivity of less than even 1 volt/cm^3 would easily kill a mobo. It woulnt take much seeing as that conductivity would apply across the whole board and you would have 100's of shorts at once. One short may be recoverable, but having every pin within a millimeter or two of another pin shorting out would completely rape a mobo.

I suppose Mineral oil is the way to go then... :guitar:

logos34
August 13th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Says in the video that they soaked the computer in rust inhibitor for a while.

yeah, some stuff apparently called 'Krown 40 (?)'

Who would have thought.

So running it submerged eliminates the need for fans, right?

Even spring water has impurities like iron and sodium which make it conduct electricity, but "cleaned" water tends to have potassium, chlorine, sodium, boron, calcium, magnesium and all sorts of other junk floating around in it. "clean" right? :)

Never knew that about conductivity in H2O. Interesting.

The 'industrial groove' soundtrack was a nice touch, too, I thought

init1
August 13th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Heh, I like the the sound of Subuntu :D

original_jamingrit
August 13th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I saw something about a one thousand dollar water-proofing spray on slashdot: http://www.local6.com/technology/17011560/detail.html

Krown 40 or something similar is probably a lot more cost-effective, as long you reapply it often enough, I'm sure. Cool video.

zmjjmz
August 13th, 2008, 09:39 AM
These guys were using plain tap water, so I'd assume that the Krown 40 prevents conductivity from shorting the mobo.
Also, notice that the HDD was out of the water. Probably because they didn't have the time to cover every part of it in Krown 40, and it has moving parts. An SSD would fare better.

lukjad
August 13th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I remember from my science class that pure water does conduct electricity because the hydrogen and oxygen do not stay bound together and therefore become charged, creating an electrolyte solution, albeit a very weak one in the case of pure water. However, anything that is not pure water WILL conduct electricity well because of the fact that there is salt and other minerals in the water. Plus, as soon as you stick your hand into the water, the salt from the sweat on your skin would increase the effectiveness of the electrolyte. I could be wrong, but I do seem to have found a link to something that supports my memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis_of_water

kubug
August 14th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Heh, I like the the sound of Subuntu :D

I didn't get it at first... :lolflag:
For us dumb ones, you need to add a hyphen: sub-untu

phrostbyte
August 14th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I remember from my science class that pure water does conduct electricity because the hydrogen and oxygen do not stay bound together and therefore become charged, creating an electrolyte solution, albeit a very weak one in the case of pure water. However, anything that is not pure water WILL conduct electricity well because of the fact that there is salt and other minerals in the water. Plus, as soon as you stick your hand into the water, the salt from the sweat on your skin would increase the effectiveness of the electrolyte. I could be wrong, but I do seem to have found a link to something that supports my memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis_of_water

In fact given a high enough voltage, any common material, including strong insulators like rubber will conduct electricity. This voltage is measurable and is known as dielectric breakdown voltage of the material or often as it's permittivity. Even a vacuum will conduct electricity, as in, electricity can flow through a perfect vacuum. The permittivity of free space or the "electric constant" is a fundamental and natural constant of the Universe that related many other physical interactions seemingly unrelated to electricity, like the speed of light itself.