PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot Problem

Ht228
August 12th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hey forum, I've come to you guys again with a problem.

I've been dual booting xp and ubuntu for a while now, and they were running perfectly. Then all of a sudden, windows got a problem and I removed it from the hardrive. No more windows, all gone.

But now I have a problem booting into ubuntu

whenever I turn on, I'm told that 'Operating System not found'

I boot up with gpartition editor (I think that's what its called) and I can see the ubuntu partition there, and a smaller partition of 1 or 2 gigs called something like 'linux share'

I've tried to go back into ubuntu with a boot disc and then do the thing in the terminal with grub but none of the boot discs I'm using will work.

Its very annoying, especially to know that the system is there, I just can't get onto it.

So what I'm asking (after the long winded story)is:

How do I tell ubuntu that I would like it to boot straight away?
How do I get back into my system?

Pumalite
August 12th, 2008, 07:06 PM
You might have to reinstall Grub:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

Ht228
August 12th, 2008, 07:12 PM
hey man, thanks for the quick reply.

That grub thing looks like exactly what I want, the only problem is getting into ubuntu in the first place.

Whenever i use an ubuntu live cd, it never really works. It might be because the cds I'm using are a bit scratched and rubbish.

I might have to try and use some decent cds

ajgreeny
August 12th, 2008, 07:34 PM
It doesn't need to be a Ubuntu live CD, any linux distro live CD will do, I've used puppy linux for this purpose without a problem in the past, and if you need to download an iso for the purpose, just go for the smallest you can find.

I suppose it may need to be a distro that uses grub, not lilo, but I'm not even sure about that, I may be talking rubbish as far as that goes.

Pumalite
August 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM
If you haven't been able to resolve the issue; try Knoppix Live CD:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html