PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub install on usb hdd.... too hard

fragment_gr
August 12th, 2008, 06:41 PM
hello guys, i have a problem. i installed ubuntu 8.04 on a usb hdd drive (3 parts-> 1)ext2 for ubuntu 2)swap for ubuntu 3)windows ntfs partition).

the grub mbr boot code wrote on my other main hdd 320gb disk which windows vista installed. i removed the grub code back to vista. now my hdd have ubuntu installed and i cannot boot. how can i write the code not to my main hdd but on the usb hdd which ubuntu installed?

i tried with grub codes from the live cd (grub-install) but nth. is there a easy utility on windows to do that easily? because from live cd is very difficult... thx

Pumalite
August 12th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Step 7>Advanced TAB>Change (hd0) for /dev/???
???=your USB
You can find it with:
sudo fdisk -lu

caljohnsmith
August 12th, 2008, 09:30 PM
how can i write the code not to my main hdd but on the usb hdd which ubuntu installed?

Actually it should be really easy from a Live CD. But first, I assume you don't have any other Linux distro's installed other than Ubuntu, correct? If that is true, just boot a Live CD, open a terminal, and do the following:

sudo grub
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
[this should find your Ubuntu partition in the form of (hdX,Y)]
grub> root (hdX,Y)
grub> setup (hdX)
grub> quit

That will install Grub to the MBR of the HDD that Ubuntu is on, and it will use the Ubuntu partition for all its config files.