PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Before installation few questions.

extruct
August 12th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Hey first of all, I'm new here :)
I'm sorry if this is the incorrect forum couldn't find better one.

Well I'm on my way to get rid of Windows and switch to Linux, note this is not my first Linux experience I used Mandrake, Fedora and Gentoo previously.
Well I wanted to ask few questions before Installing:
1. I've got 64bit processor, should I use the 64bit edition of Ubuntu? (Processor model below).
2. I understood that there are a lot of different version like Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and etc. So I wanted to ask if I'll install Ubuntu I will be able than to remove Gnome and Install lets say XFCE or Flux/Blackbox right? Just to be sure :)
3. Is 1Gb of RAM enough to run normally Ubuntu? Main usage of the PC is mostly C/C++, Java, PHP development (including 3D graphics with OpenGL, work with Databases), Music listening, movie watching and surfing.
4. Will this hardware supported by Ubuntu?

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3000Mhz Prescott HTT(Hyper threading technology) Support 64bit x86 Extension(AMD64 Intel64)

Motherboard: Asus P5P800S

RAM: 2x512MB Dual Channel Kingston DDR SDRAM

Video Card: Inno3D nVidia GeForce 6600 AGP 256MB

Hard disk: ExcelStore Technology J880 80GB

LAN card: Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC (onboard)

Audio card: Analog Devices AD1888 @ Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3] (onboard)

Monitor: LG LCD Flatron 1760TR 17" DVI

Will any problem could occur with this kind of hardware?

Thanks a lot and sorry if this is a wrong forum.

kaboodle_fish
August 12th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Easiest and best way to check is to try a LiveCD

To get the best out of your processor, use the 64bit edition, but the 32bit will also work and sometimes can be easier for a starter if there are issues

houbysoft.xf.cz
August 12th, 2008, 06:19 PM
1. yes.
2. yes, I use blackbox, runs fine ;)
3. yes.
4. I have the LAN card and the audio card too on another PC, it works fine. Don't know if other hw pieces will work, but I think yes.

Hope that helps ;)

cdtech
August 12th, 2008, 06:21 PM
You are good to go. You shouldn't have any issues running Ubuntu. Yes, after you install Ubuntu you can add, change, anything you want.

Be sure you get the proper 64bit .iso when you download the software. It's always good to have a wired Ethernet connection during the install, if possible. You can also have a look at the links on my signature that may be of help during your venture.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.....

tuxxy
August 12th, 2008, 06:28 PM
1. I've got 64bit processor, should I use the 64bit edition of Ubuntu? (Processor model below).

Yes I would use 64bit ubuntu, why limit your hardware to a 32bit OS

2. I understood that there are a lot of different version like Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and etc. So I wanted to ask if I'll install Ubuntu I will be able than to remove Gnome and Install lets say XFCE or Flux/Blackbox right? Just to be sure

Yes you can install any amount of desktop envrionments, just select which you would like to run at login

3. Is 1Gb of RAM enough to run normally Ubuntu? Main usage of the PC is mostly C/C++, Java, PHP development (including 3D graphics with OpenGL, work with Databases), Music listening, movie watching and surfing.

Should be, even when I run virtualbox it runs under 1 gig RAM, and thats windows in virtual btw :)

4. Will this hardware supported by Ubuntu?

Should be, good chouice on video card ;)

extruct
August 12th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Thank you all people :)
Most likely I'll write soon about my experience in Ubuntu :P