PDA

View Full Version : Best Ubuntu based KDE i386 distro?

icett
August 12th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I have seen many Ubuntu based distros but all of them I found are Gnome based not Kde based. The only exception is Freespire but I dont like it. Is that any other Ubuntu based KDE distro which is i386? Please inform.:KS

billgoldberg
August 12th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I have seen many Ubuntu based distros but all of them I found are Gnome based not Kde based. The only exception is Freespire but I dont like it. Is that any other Ubuntu based KDE distro which is i386? Please inform.:KS

Kubuntu?

Canis familiaris
August 12th, 2008, 03:05 PM
There is Kubuntu but I recommend MEPIS.

ibutho
August 12th, 2008, 03:19 PM
There is a Linux Mint version with KDE as default.

Northsider
August 12th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I've been using Kubuntu for a while now, I love it.

icett
August 12th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Kubuntu is actually Ubuntu itself. Linux Mint KDE version is beta. And Simply Mepis is based on Debian not Ubuntu. One distribution I know is Klikit Linux but its also beta. Could you name a good distro which is not beta, i386 KDE and is based on Ubuntu?:KS

zmjjmz
August 12th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Freespire?

ThrobbingBrain66
August 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Freespire?

He already stated in his first post that he didn't like Freespire. :)

icett
August 12th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Freespire, the free version of the Microsoft supported distro Linspire formerly Lindows is dead for the time being as Linspire has been bought by another more Microsoft supported and inspired distro Xandros which has stated that the next Freespire version which they would call Freespire 5 would be based on Debian and not Ubuntu.:popcorn:

zmjjmz
August 12th, 2008, 05:10 PM
You can look at Distrowatch...

cookieofdoom
August 12th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I think if the Kubuntu team does a good job, Intrepid Ibex with KDE 4.1 has the potential to be extremely good. In the past Kubuntu has issues integrating with apps like Firefox and Compiz Fusion, but 4.1 (in Arch Linux) seemed a lot better.

Anyway, I realize it's not out yet so this post is kind of useless. Kubuntu 8.04.1 is a really solid KDE release if you don't want to use Compiz.

icett
August 12th, 2008, 05:53 PM
It seems Ubuntu based KDE distros are very scarce. I think Ubuntu and the community should try and create a stable KDE distro based on Ubuntu as there is a vacuum here. Anyway just came across a distro called "Ultumix" based on Ubuntu, KDE 32 bit and wish to know your opinion about it. Links below:

http://www.mindblowingidea.com/Ultumix.html

billgoldberg
August 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Kubuntu is actually Ubuntu itself.

No it's not.

Ubuntu is not the same as Kubuntu, hence the name difference.

Kubuntu is a kde distro based on Ubuntu. That's what you were asking for.

billgoldberg
August 12th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I think if the Kubuntu team does a good job, Intrepid Ibex with KDE 4.1 has the potential to be extremely good. In the past Kubuntu has issues integrating with apps like Firefox and Compiz Fusion, but 4.1 (in Arch Linux) seemed a lot better.

Anyway, I realize it's not out yet so this post is kind of useless. Kubuntu 8.04.1 is a really solid KDE release if you don't want to use Compiz.

Firefox for linux is a gtk app, that's why it looks bad in kde.

It's easily fixed by using a ff theme though.

Canis familiaris
August 12th, 2008, 06:02 PM
No it's not.

Ubuntu is not the same as Kubuntu, hence the name difference.

Kubuntu is a kde distro based on Ubuntu. That's what you were asking for.

Kubuntu and Ubuntu are almost the same but only with different DE and software.
I also used to think Ubuntu and Kubuntu to be different but that was before I saw the menu entry for Kubuntu in GRUB
(The menu entry wrote Ubuntu rather than Kubuntu)

billgoldberg
August 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Kubuntu and Ubuntu are almost the same but only with different DE and software.
I also used to think Ubuntu and Kubuntu to be different but that was before I saw the menu entry for Kubuntu in GRUB
(The menu entry wrote Ubuntu rather than Kubuntu)

It all depends on what you call different.

Another DE and software in my opinion make the distribution completely different.

You can thn also say, linux mint is ubuntu with another system panel and some preinstalled codecs.

xodus1
August 12th, 2008, 06:13 PM
By far if you want a very nice KDE distro, Mandriva is the choice to go with (although it's not based on ubuntu). But it is just as user friendly as ubuntu

Canis familiaris
August 12th, 2008, 06:14 PM
You can thn also say, linux mint is ubuntu with another system panel and some preinstalled codecs.
Technically yes.