PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu Installation Issues

sriram.venkataramani
August 12th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Hi,

I have a PIII 650 MHz Desktop with 128 MB RAM, 10 GB HDD (currently running Windows 2000 Server) on which I would like to setup Xubuntu 8.04.

I booted up with Xubuntu 8.04 CD on the machine and selected the install option on the first splash screen. This takes me to a blank screen with the orange heron background. It stays there for a long time without showing any installation options. At some point about half hour later I gave up and shutdown the machine.

Has anybody else seen this issue? Is my desktop configuration too low for Xubuntu 8.04? Should I try the Alternate Install instead?

Thanks in advance for your help!

purplepaint
August 12th, 2008, 02:31 PM
As far as I understand it, the Live CD doesn't work on computers with relatively low amounts of RAM, while the the Alternate CD uses a simple text interface (which is still easy to use) instead, so I would recommend it. Good luck!

snowpine
August 12th, 2008, 02:35 PM
According to the Xubuntu website, 192 mb is the minimum ram for the live cd and 128 is the minimum for the alternate cd. The alternate cd should work on your computer, however, you might want to consider picking up an extra stick of ram for better performance. Good luck!

sriram.venkataramani
August 19th, 2008, 02:52 PM
According to the Xubuntu website, 192 mb is the minimum ram for the live cd and 128 is the minimum for the alternate cd. The alternate cd should work on your computer, however, you might want to consider picking up an extra stick of ram for better performance. Good luck!

The alternate CD worked like a charm. Thanks!