PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't resize my ntfs partition

cjwalle
August 12th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to install Ubuntu 8.04 on my father's relatively old HP machine. More specifically, I need it to dual boot with Windows. Now, I've done this before on my own machine, and I didn't have any problems. However, on my father's machine, when I get to the partitioner, I run into a roadblock. I need to resize the windows partition to make room for linux, but I can't. It doesn't give me the option at all, and the 'used' part of that partition is 'unknown', according to the partitioner.

Anyone know why, and how I can fix it? It's an 80gb IDE HDD, if that's of any relevance. It's kind of urgent, as I need to fix this before I leave.

Thanks,
Chris

lisati
August 12th, 2008, 11:11 AM
one thing you're probably already aware of is to run disk cleanup & defrag the NTFS partition from within Windows a few times. The standard "clean manager" that comes with 98SE & XP doesn't clean out all the rubbish though.

cjwalle
August 12th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I did clean and defrag the disk, but only once, and only with the tools built into Windows (XP, by the way). Any suggestions as to which programs I should be using?

Thanks for the quick reply :)