PDA

View Full Version : Login Problems

Gael33
August 12th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I loaded Ubuntu 8.04 64bit onto my HP Compaq dx2250 AMD Athlon 64bit Computer and tried to login. The installation procedure was flawless as I moved through each stage of the operation. I was then asked to remove the installation disk and reboot. Reboot went as expected and the login page came up asking for my username ... I carefully typed it in and pressed enter. Next came the password ... again I carefully typed that in and pressed enter. I tried several times and each time one or both failed. I know that I am following the correct procedure because later in the day I removed the 64bit version and replaced it with the 32bit version I have working perfectly on my older computer. Both versions failed to login at exactly the same point after installing perfectly. I am beginning to wonder if the OS is okay and that there is something wrong with the computer settings ... any ideas? HP Compaq dx2250's are marketed in Australia ready loaded with Linux which puzzles me even more. The HDD is partitioned and I am running Windows XP Pro ... could that have any bearing as to why Ubuntu fails on the other partition?
Any help is appreciated.
Gael (still a newbie).

lisati
August 12th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Are you getting an error message rejecting your username/password or are you getting a situation where it looks like both have been accepted but you get dumped back at the logon screen?
(The exact details for fixing both the "glitches" I've mentioned elude me for the moment)

Gael33
August 12th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Are you getting an error message rejecting your username/password or are you getting a situation where it looks like both have been accepted but you get dumped back at the logon screen?
(The exact details for fixing both the "glitches" I've mentioned elude me for the moment)

Thank you for replying :)
I get the second option that is where the login appears to have been accepted and then I loops back to the login screen ... this happens on both the 64bit and the 32bit Ubuntu 8.04 versions ... I get a strong feeling that it is possibly a bios setting ... although as a newbie I could be talking through the wrong end of my anatomy :)

Gael.

lisati
August 12th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Thank you for replying :)
I get the second option that is where the login appears to have been accepted and then I loops back to the login screen ... this happens on both the 64bit and the 32bit Ubuntu 8.04 versions ... I get a strong feeling that it is possibly a bios setting ... although as a newbie I could be talking through the wrong end of my anatomy :)

Gael.

I've seen something similar to this described in the forums. Part of the process of tracking down the problem involves loggin in with "failsafe" mode......but beyond that, my memory is a little hazy

lisati
August 12th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I just found this thread which might help: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=883040