PDA

View Full Version : If I could, I would devote myself to be a linux newbie helper

Lord Xeb
August 12th, 2008, 07:27 AM
but alas, there are too many e_e and I do not know enough. Suggestions/help please

Riffer
August 12th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Do what you can.

RedPandaFox
August 12th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I would help too, If i knew more.
At the moment, I spend all day at work, trawling the forums for anything I can help with. I have a full time job and yet no work, so I just sit here on the forums. :(

LaRoza
August 12th, 2008, 07:49 AM
but alas, there are too many e_e and I do not know enough. Suggestions/help please

I did that myself. At first, you just do what you know. You should read a lot and get acquainted with various issues as well. You'll be surprised how much you learn by reading.

loell
August 12th, 2008, 07:53 AM
and there's no shame in linking solutions from threads or specially post that already solved the same problem.

balaknair
August 12th, 2008, 09:36 AM
"You teach best what you most need to learn"
Richard David Bach(in 'Illusions')

I started using Ubuntu just over a year ago(with 7.04), and immediately ran into trouble- sound wouldn't work, no 3D, no DVD/mp3 playback, how do I install apps, couldn't figure out where everything was(Windows user since 1996). One week later I'd managed to fix most hardware issues(mostly just searching on Ubuntuforums and Google).
The outcome was that I'd learned a fair bit about fixing those issues(not much about Linux and its architecture, just how to fix a few problems). Most importantly, I'd also learnt how to diagnose problems and find answers , where to look, which sites to check. I'm not an expert in Linux(I still consider myself more competent with Windows) but I do know more about Linux than I did a year ago. I also know a fair bit about the issues I was able to fix, and why some of them are so important/confusing to a noob used to the Windows way of doing things(double click exe to install, alt-ctrl-del etc). So I try to help when I come across people with similar issues. If I don't know the answer, I try to find out from the web(there's a wealth of info out there). If they have a config similar to what I have, I try to duplicate the problem on my machine(without trashing it of course)to see if I can come up with a fix. As I do so, I learn even more. It seems as I try to help, I learn even more- like perhaps a better/easier solution than what I knew of.
In fact that was how I learnt most of what I know about Windows- fixing problems I ran across with my machines and on those of my friends/family mostly through trial and error(anybody remember the practically non-existant documentation for Win9X and even Win2K?).

NE Key
August 12th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Suggestions/help please

Two possibilities.

1. Pick one small part of the whole subject and know that small bit well.

2. Research the solutions to others problems and provide the link.

I know from my own experience of seeking answers here that 2 is a very helpful service.

lisati
August 12th, 2008, 09:47 AM
1. Help with what you can,
2. Don't be shy of admitting when you get stuck or when someone else comes up with a better solution
3. Read threads that don't directly relate to something you think you know something about, you might be able to point someone else to them one day to help solve a problem. Better still, they might help you with something too.

Jim!
August 12th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Just look around in all the general help and beginner talk threads, you learn a ton in there and every now and then you find your self contributing your own knowledge.

jonabyte
August 12th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I would help too, If i knew more.
At the moment, I spend all day at work, trawling the forums for anything I can help with. I have a full time job and yet no work, so I just sit here on the forums. :(

Same here, I also try and answer the unanswered posts in the newbie section.

Joeb454
August 12th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I often help out in Absolute Beginners Talk, a large portion of my posts are from there ;)

I've learnt a lot by reading (also by experimenting)

fwre01
August 12th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I try and focus on my strengths, i tend to hang out in the networking section.

Cobol to Java
August 12th, 2008, 01:59 PM
A Linux Newbie helper is a very noble profession, I guess. Very much like teachers (underpaid and overworked)

Lord Xeb
August 14th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Yes agreed. I do not mind doing this since everyone is a newbie at one point or another.