PDA

View Full Version : If DirectX was modded so you could game on linux, would you use it?

Lord Xeb
August 12th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Just wondering. Please give me some insite and whatnot into what you think.

null byte
August 12th, 2008, 07:17 AM
No.

Just my personal opinion, OpenGL is the best.

Games that I played on Windows were complete OpenGL. And they were perfect.

Lord Xeb
August 12th, 2008, 07:18 AM
which ones?

lisati
August 12th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Here's a suggested fourth option for the poll: Why?

dspari1
August 12th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Why not use it? It would make it a lot easier for games to run on Linux with wine without having to convert all the calls into OpenGL.

TheConstruct
August 12th, 2008, 07:23 AM
There's barely anything in Windows (gaming wise) that uses OpenGL. iD's stuff is only a small subset of everything that's available and even Carmack seems to be moving away from GL, since it hasn't caught up with modern graphical technolgy and demands which DirectX can satisfy.

So yes, bring DirectX over.

null byte
August 12th, 2008, 07:23 AM
which ones?
Counter Strike 1.5, 1.6, Quake I, II, III, Half-Life :)

TheConstruct
August 12th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Counter Strike 1.5, 1.6, Quake I, II, III, Half-Life :)
Such ugly, ugly games. :KS

The Source engine (and associated games) kicks each of those games to the curb - but it uses DirectX. Bah.

null byte
August 12th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Such ugly, ugly games. :KS

The Source engine (and associated games) kicks each of those games to the curb - but it uses DirectX. Bah.
I know, but I like them like that :D

DirectX? Okay, I like the Hitman series the best :) But that's all the DirectX I like :|

TheConstruct
August 12th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Another thing - having DirectX properly supported in Linux would make it much easier and more attractive for a game developer to target Linux. Since DirectX isn't going anywhere as far as Windows gaming is concerned, and since the majority of PC gaming is targeted to Windows, there's no point trying to push OpenGL if they can't even update the standard (as was discussed recently).

dspari1
August 12th, 2008, 07:40 AM
But lets not kid ourselves, how are we going to make DirectX for Linux if we can't even get Gnash to function at the same level as Flash?

Canis familiaris
August 12th, 2008, 08:00 AM
But this would never happen.

zj3t3mju
August 12th, 2008, 09:14 AM
cedega is example but it non free, it can run directx game
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedega

frup
August 12th, 2008, 09:35 AM
If Direct X was open source, why not?
If Direct X was still closed source... it would have to have very very good games for Linux for me to touch it, being MS I wouldn't trust it one bit, I don't trust much closed source stuff fullstop.

But why would MS release Dx?