PDA

View Full Version : My new ubuntu orange laptop

wolfen69
August 12th, 2008, 04:55 AM
i just bought a used Acer Travelmate 2420 and thought to myself, damn, this thing looks just like everyone elses laptop. so i went out and bought some fine sandpaper, plastic primer and pumpkin orange spraypaint. pumpin orange is a perfect hue for an ubuntu lappy. at least i thought so. plus, i wanted something that "screamed" ubuntu.
i put about 10 coats of paint on and shouldnt have to worry about minor scuffs too much. just thought i'd share a little mini project of mine. pics attached.

JillSwift
August 12th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Ohh. That's cool! =^_^=

isaacj87
August 12th, 2008, 05:07 AM
i just bought a used Acer Travelmate 2420 and thought to myself, damn, this thing looks just like everyone elses laptop. so i went out and bought some fine sandpaper, plastic primer and pumpkin orange spraypaint. pumpin orange is a perfect hue for an ubuntu lappy. at least i thought so. plus, i wanted something that "screamed" ubuntu. it looks much better in person.

i put about 10 coats of paint on and shouldnt have to worry about minor scuffs too much. just thought i'd share a little mini project of mine. pics attached.

Very interesting! I have an Acer Aspire 1642 (I notice some similarities with our laptops) and I was thinking about doing a custom paint job on it. Did you disassemble the laptop before painting or just tape everything off?

wolfen69
August 12th, 2008, 05:12 AM
i just taped everything off in combo with newspaper.

DeadSuperHero
August 12th, 2008, 05:12 AM
That looks swell! I wonder how well it'd work on an HP!

wolfen69
August 12th, 2008, 05:15 AM
painting is the same for most mainstream lappies. i think i may have found a new hobby. that was my first attempt at laptop customising, and to be honest, i loved it.

did the desktop "build your own" thing for a long time, it's what i'm used to. customising a lappy is kinda new.

anyone else just abuse their stuff?

DeadSuperHero
August 12th, 2008, 05:16 AM
painting is the same for most mainstream lappies.

Did you just spraypaint it, or did you need to put some kind of gloss finish on it afterward?

It'd be great to achieve a shiny look...

starcannon
August 12th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Cool, I've got an old Inspiron | 5150 here that I keep meaning to do a steampunk project with, maybe some spray paint and masking tape would be something fun to do while I wait to be motivated/inspired to do the steampunk project.

wolfen69
August 12th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Did you just spraypaint it, or did you need to put some kind of gloss finish on it afterward?

It'd be great to achieve a shiny look...

i just spray painted. if you do it right, you can make it look like a mirror. i didnt do that.

wolfen69
August 12th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Cool, I've got an old Inspiron | 5150 here that I keep meaning to do a steampunk project with, maybe some spray paint and masking tape would be something fun to do while I wait to be motivated/inspired to do the steampunk project.

go for it. it cant hurt.

1roxtar
January 30th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks for posting on my thread too. I'll share my pic on yours, as well. :)

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd237/1ROXTAR/MyUbuntuLaptop.jpg

I had spray painted it Ubuntu-style purple before that, but changed it to orange. It stands out better, in my opinion.

sffvba[e0rt
January 30th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Thread closed.