PDA

View Full Version : What are the languages u know?

sharks
August 12th, 2008, 02:20 AM
What are the languages u know?
I know Tamil and English

LaRoza
August 12th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I know Tamil and English

Perhaps a poll based on: http://www.krysstal.com/spoken.html

I know American English (obviously) and some British English.

I can do the basics in Spanish and German and am learning Hindi (and am learning that pretty quickly, I am almost better at Hindi than German or Spanish)

nerd0795
August 12th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I use English, but I am learning Japanese.

estyles
August 12th, 2008, 03:00 AM
C, C#, C++, Java, VBA (ack!), VBScript, some php, very little Lisp and ASM, some QBasic and Pascal from back in the day.

Oh, also English.

sisco311
August 12th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Magyar (Hungarian)
Română (Romanian)
I'm learning English.
I forgot German and Italian.

days_of_ruin
August 12th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Lol when I saw this thread the only thing I thought it was about was
programming languages.

Kingsley
August 12th, 2008, 04:44 AM
English, and a lot of Igbo and German.

Kabezon
August 12th, 2008, 09:53 AM
English and Spanish

Jim!
August 12th, 2008, 09:55 AM
English and Polish, and I plan on learning a few more someday.

karellen
August 12th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Romanian (obviously), English, a little French and German

karellen
August 12th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Perhaps a poll based on: http://www.krysstal.com/spoken.html

I know American English (obviously) and some British English.

I can do the basics in Spanish and German and am learning Hindi (and am learning that pretty quickly, I am almost better at Hindi than German or Spanish)

American and British English are considered to be different languages? I mean, besides the different accent and some words, they seem basically the same to me (grammar, syntax); I am curious to see the native speaker's point of view

mips
August 12th, 2008, 10:03 AM
English
Afrikaans
Dutch/Flemish (read & understand verbal comms)
Zulu (Understand & speak a bit)
German (Read a bit)
Latin (VERY rusty but did study it fo a year at university level)

LaRoza
August 12th, 2008, 10:03 AM
American and British English are considered to be different languages? I mean, besides the different accent and some words, they seem basically the same to me (grammar, syntax); I am curious to see the native speaker's point of view

It was a joke :-)

American English is more unified than British English which is unique, but the core language is the same.

I often joke about "British English" not being English due to their slang and general funny accents.

spupy
August 12th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Bulgarian (native language)
English
German
Learning Japanese (only level A1 now, next is A2, i think)

karellen
August 12th, 2008, 10:15 AM

American English is more unified than British English which is unique, but the core language is the same.

I often joke about "British English" not being English due to their slang and general funny accents.

:) now I see :D
I know what you mean, here we have the Moldovan language (Moldovan is the official language in the Republic of Moldova, a small ex-USSR country bordering the eastern frontier of Romania) which is nearly identical with Romanian. but the national ego made Moldova to dub its language "Moldovan"

Canis familiaris
August 12th, 2008, 10:17 AM
English (speak, read, and write)
हिन्दी Hindi (speak, read) (I can write too but out of practice and would make lot of spelling mistakes)
ଓଡ଼ିଆ Oriya (speak) (can read and write few alphabets only)
Français French (read and write) (cannot pronounce properly, also read and write is limited like of a 6 year old)

I know Grunt and Point Language :lolflag:

spupy
August 12th, 2008, 10:18 AM
:) now I see :D
I know what you mean, here we have the Moldovan language (Moldovan is the official language in the Republic of Moldova, a small ex-USSR country bordering the eastern frontier of Romania) which is nearly identical with Romanian. but the national ego made Moldova to dub its language "Moldovan"

Exactly the same situation exists with the Bulgarian and Macedonian languages.

fiddledd
August 12th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Yeah, I often joke about American English :P

English
French (I can read some and understand some, only a few hundred words though)
I can also sign the alphabet, but I learned that over 40 years ago, so I'd guess it's pretty useless today.

And I remember 2 words in Lithuanian my father taught me:

zurek - look
telec - shut up

I've no idea how to spell them.

LaRoza
August 12th, 2008, 10:45 AM
English (speak, read, and write)
हिन्दी Hindi (speak, read) (I can write too but out of practice and would make lot of spelling mistakes)
ଓଡ଼ିଆ Oriya (speak) (can read and write few alphabets only)
Français French (read and write) (cannot pronounce properly, also read and write is limited like of a 6 year old)

How can you make spelling mistakes in Hindi? It is the way it sounds...

Oh, you can also use हिंदी to write it (no conjuct to worry about) which is easier to type.

tuxerman
August 12th, 2008, 10:55 AM
hehe.. I seriously thought this meant programming languages when I saw the thread topic!
Well I know English, Tamil, Malayalam and quite a bit of Hindi.
Comng back to prog. languages: BASIC (I dont think I remember it well now) C, C++, and some BASH. Trying to learn JS, PHP. :)

Oh yes, Grunt-and-point language too :lolflag:

clash
August 12th, 2008, 11:00 AM
English
Gaeilge (Irish gaelic) I used to be pretty good at it.
Korean (Very little) mid-beginner tbh

lisati
August 12th, 2008, 11:00 AM
New Zealand English, some Ocker (Aussie) English, some British English, some American English (mostly mutually intelligible)
A VERY small number of Dutch words and phrases
A small number of Maori words and phrases
Some Samoan
Some French (from school)
A couple of German words and phrases

Masoris
August 12th, 2008, 11:01 AM
한국어 韓國語 Korean: My native language.

English: I know about 5000 vocabularies, but I need to know more slang and words in daily life.

日本語 Japanese: I know about 3000~5000 vocabularies, most of them from Manga and Anime, I can watch Anime without subtitle, but I cannot catch 1/10 of the sentences.

Esperanto: I know about 2000~3000 vocabularies. This language great helped for my knowledge about how to learning a language, and how to memorise many vocabulary very naturally like a child.

普通话 Standard Mandarin: I know about 200 vocabularies. I'll concentrate on this language when I think I'm good enough for English.

LaRoza
August 12th, 2008, 11:03 AM
한국어 韓國語 Korean: My native language.

English: I know about 5000 vocabularies, but I need to know more slang and words in daily life.

日本語 Japanese: I know about 3000~5000 vocabularies, most of them from Manga and Anime, I can watch Anime without subtitle, but I cannot catch 1/10 of the sentences.

Esperanto: I know about 2000~3000 vocabularies. This language great helped for my knowledge about how to learning a language, and how to memorise many vocabulary very naturally like a child.

普通话 Standard Mandarin: I know about 200 vocabularies. I'll concentrate on this language when I think I'm good enough for English.

Instead of "vocabularies", say "words". A vocabulary is more of a sum of all words.

Canis familiaris
August 12th, 2008, 11:05 AM
How can you make spelling mistakes in Hindi? It is the way it sounds...

Oh, you can also use हिंदी to write it (no conjuct to worry about) which is easier to type.
Out of practice makes a person imperfect. :(

It is not as simple as you make it sound. Yes it spells the way it sounds (unlike English) but mispronounciations and strange sillyness makes it that way.
Also due the various dialects of Hindi and also that my conversing in Oriya with my parents(my parents native language actually oriya, never learnt oriya in school though) and also frequent use of English, I mix the pronounciations all up and make silly mistakes.
Also sometimes it gets confusing too:
इ and ई
उ and ऊ
ए and ऐ
and their matras could be confusing sometimes.
Though if I needed to write Hindi as often as I write English, then I would have been better of course.
Of course with considerable effort I could write fluently.

Not to mention I make frequent spelling mistakes in English too.

LaRoza
August 12th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Out of practice makes a person imperfect. :(
I guess since I am learning it I am much more attentive to the way it is supposed to be.

It is not as simple as you make it sound.
Or is it?

Also due the various dialects of Hindi and also that my conversing in Oriya with my parents(my parents native language actually oriya, never learnt oriya in school though) and also frequent use of English, I mix the pronounciations all up and make silly mistakes.
Having not heard a variety of dialects, I wouldn't be as confused. I have read about dialects (and heard one in the movie, as I knew the words but not as he was saying them), but don't hear them.

Also sometimes it gets confusing too:
इ and ई
उ and ऊ
ए and ऐ
and their matras could be confusing sometimes.

I don't get confused with vowels, conjuncts are what trip me up. I am learning them as I go, so I am only confused the first time I see it. As much as I like the history, it would be nice if Hindi got rid of those conjuncts and used the little line like you used (what I saw anyway, for some reason I don't see conjucts on the web, I guess I don't have that font) for the "nd" in Hindi.

Not to mention I make frequent spelling mistakes in English too.
If you are talking to a Brit, say it is an American spelling. If you are talking to an American, say it is a British spelling. You'll never be "wrong" then.

Masoris
August 12th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Instead of "vocabularies", say "words". A vocabulary is more of a sum of all words.

I can't catch you, what is difference of "vocabulary" and "word"? "more of a sum of all words"? :confused:
Do you means that I can say "My English vocabulary is 5000 words". But "I know about 5000 vocabularies" is wrong?

lisati
August 12th, 2008, 11:14 AM
If you are talking to a Brit, say it is an American spelling. If you are talking to an American, say it is a British spelling. You'll never be "wrong" then.
One thing I sometimes hear where I live is "use" for "you lot", as if the archaic "thee/thou/etc" and "you" had been replaced with "you" and "yous" - it probably would annoy my English teachers at school if I did that.

LaRoza
August 12th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I can't catch you, what is difference of "vocabulary" and "word"? "more of a sum of all words"? :confused:

The English vocabulary has many words. My vocabulary in English is 20000 words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocabulary

Do you means that I can say "My English vocabulary is 5000 words". But "I know about 5000 vocabularies" is wrong?
Yes. Your vocabulary is all the words you know.

Also, "I can't catch you". I think you mean "I don't understand you".

LaRoza
August 12th, 2008, 11:16 AM
One thing I sometimes hear where I live is "use" for "you lot", as if the archaic "thee/thou/etc" and "you" had been replaced with "you" and "yous" - it probably would annoy my English teachers at school if I did that.

I hate "youse", especially "youse guys".

Canis familiaris
August 12th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Or is it?

It is when you know the right pronounciation.

lol
We actually learned so called British English at school but the American spellings were considered right as well.

lisati
August 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM

I find it annoying too.

BTW, Samoan has 'oe for "you" (one person), oulua for two people, and outou for three or more people.

LaRoza
August 12th, 2008, 11:22 AM
lol
We actually learned so called British English at school but the American spellings were considered right as well.

The differences are minor, and except for slang we understand each other well.

LaRoza
August 12th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I find it annoying too.

BTW, Samoan has 'oe for "you" (one person), oulua for two people, and outou for three or more people.

Old English had three words for "you" also.

Hindi has three (but they are not numerical although two are grammatically plural, they are used just like English "you")

Giant Speck
August 12th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Hindi has three (but they are not numerical although two are grammatically plural, they are used just like English "you")

Especially considering that in Modern English, the word "you" is already plural. It's the third person plural personal pronoun. Modern language has completely rid itself of the second person singular and plural personal pronoun (thee, etc.).

Back to me, my native language is English, and seeing as though I am from the Midwest (Iowa, to be more precise), I almost lack an accent. I don't have a drawl, I don't say "eh," and I certainly don't pronounce car "cah" or about "aboot."

For the past two years, I have been learning Russian for the military (и это всё вам надо знать ;)) and I feel I'm pretty proficient in it. Probably a hell of a lot more proficient in it than had I learned it in college or high school.

Canis familiaris
August 12th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Keep in mind that the plural forms are also used to know respect to the person addressed. (particularly आप )
People get offended when address when addressed by तू.
तू is generally used within friends.

Masoris
August 12th, 2008, 11:44 AM
The English vocabulary has many words. My vocabulary in English is 20000 words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocabulary

Yes. Your vocabulary is all the words you know.

Also, "I can't catch you". I think you mean "I don't understand you".

Ok. I understand what you meant now. But I still confused when I should use "Vocabularies"(plural)? I could find many sentences which contains this plural word.

For example this is a part of English lesson for Koreans:

HOON: Your verbal test will begin at 9 A.M. tomorrow.
ANGIE: Can I memorize some sentences regarding the topic?
HOON: It won't give me a natural impression. But if you can do that, at least you could you use some good vocabularies.
ANGIE: All right. So you're saying it's up to me.
http://media.daum.net/digital/game/view.html?cateid=1051&newsid=20070214061014465&cp=dt
In this case HOON use the word 'vocabularies', is he wrong? Should he use 'words', 'expression' or 'sentence' instead of 'vocabularies'?

lisati
August 12th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Especially considering that in Modern English, the word "you" is already plural. It's the third person plural personal pronoun. Modern language has completely rid itself of the second person singular and plural personal pronoun (thee, etc.).

I vaguely recall something being said by one of my French teachers that the choice between second-person-singular and second-person-plural wasn't just based on the number of people you were speaking to, and that it was polite to talk to elders and strangers using the plural.

LaRoza
August 12th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Second person plural formal.

Keep in mind that the plural forms are also used to know respect to the person addressed. (particularly आप )
People get offended when address when addressed by तू.
तू is generally used within friends.

I know ;)

When in doubt, use आप. It was very enlightening to watch the movie to see it being used. When Munna was talking to Jhanvi (during the radio interview) he used aap, but when he (or others) were arguing to trying to intimidate people they went to "tu" or "tum".

(Copying and pasting is a pain, I will figure out how to type this)

Canis familiaris
August 12th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Ok. I understand what you meant now. But I still confused when I should use "Vocabularies"(plural)? I could find many sentences which contains this plural word.

In this case HOON use the word 'vocabularies', is he wrong? Should he use 'words', 'expression' or 'sentence' instead of 'vocabularies'?

I have never heard or read about the word 'Vocabularies'.
I think that maybe a typing mistake by the author.
But I am no expert in Languages to be honest.

LaRoza
August 12th, 2008, 11:48 AM

Yes, he is wrong or at least very awkward.

I am actually not sure what he is trying to say...

HOON: Your verbal test will begin at 9 A.M. tomorrow.
ANGIE: Can I memorize some sentences regarding the topic?
HOON: It won't give me a natural impression. But if you can do that, at least you could you use some good vocabularies.
ANGIE: All right. So you're saying it's up to me.

Perhaps:

If you do that, you'll enhance your vocabulary or If you do that, you could learn some new words

hessiess
August 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM
C++, HTML, CSS, little PHP and UK english

lisati
August 12th, 2008, 11:52 AM

I am actually not sure what he is trying to say...

Perhaps:

If you do that, you'll enhance your vocabulary or If you do that, you could learn some new words

I'm wondering if the author of the tutorial is thinking of several word lists tailored to different situations, rather than one specific list.

Giant Speck
August 12th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I vaguely recall something being said by one of my French teachers that the choice between second-person-singular and second-person-plural wasn't just based on the number of people you were speaking to, and that it was polite to talk to elders and strangers using the plural.

Third person plural formal.

Wait. I think I said it wrong, and LaRoza was wrong when she corrected me. Lisati is on the right track.

I = first person singular
thou = second person singular (archaic informal singular)
he/she/it = third person singular

we = first person plural
you = second person plural (archaic formal singular; now used as singular and plural, regardless of formality)
they = third person plural

billgoldberg
August 12th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I know Tamil and English

Native Tongue: Dutch (actually Flemish)

Good: English and French

Notions: German (understanding and reading German isn't usually a problem, speaking is a bit harder).

--

Excuse my ignorance, but I haven't heard of Tamil. Where is it spoken? It sounds Asian.

LaRoza
August 12th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but I haven't heard of Tamil. Where is it spoken? It sounds Asian.

Tamil Nadu, Sri Lanka, Singapore

It is a Dravidian language, in contrast to the Sanskrit languages.

billgoldberg
August 12th, 2008, 12:18 PM
English
Afrikaans
Dutch/Flemish (read & understand verbal comms)
Zulu (Understand & speak a bit)
German (Read a bit)
Latin (VERY rusty but did study it fo a year at university level)

I forgot about African.

It's very similar to Dutch.

I can understand it pretty well, speaking is another thing.

But then I presume a South-African would understand Dutch the same way I understand African.

rogier.de.groot
August 12th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Watching to much TV has made my english a weird mix of british and american styles. My native language is Dutch, so I also understand quite some German.
Otherwise: Object Pascal (Delphi), Java and C#. Well, and x86 assembly and VB but I don't like to talk about that...

Masoris
August 12th, 2008, 12:24 PM

I could find the word "vocabularies" in many English textbook for Koreans. It might be a very common awkward English expression between Korean people, include English teachers. Thanks a lot for let me know about that.

LaRoza
August 12th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I could find the word "vocabularies" in many English textbook for Koreans. It might be a very common awkward English expression between Korean people, include English teachers. Thanks a lot for let me know about that.

It is often used in textbooks to describe lists of words.

"Vocabulary for Chapter 1" for example, but isn't used the way it was used on this thread.

Canis familiaris
August 12th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Tamil Nadu, Sri Lanka, Singapore

It is a Dravidian language, in contrast to the Sanskrit languages.

You know a lot about Indian languages (or any language for that matter).

LaRoza
August 12th, 2008, 12:54 PM
You know a lot about Indian languages (or any labguage for that matter).

You are right about misspelling English words ;)

I typically only need to see (read) something once to remember it.

houbysoft.xf.cz
August 12th, 2008, 12:56 PM
English, French, a little Italian, Czech, Polish.

Canis familiaris
August 12th, 2008, 12:58 PM
You are right about misspelling English words ;)
Which misspelling? :razz:

I typically only need to see (read) something once to remember it.
Photographic memory?

LaRoza
August 12th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Which misspelling? :razz:

Photographic memory?
Eidetic memory, possibly. Although I don't like labels.

nick09
August 12th, 2008, 01:04 PM
English only as I never took any classes.

huxterby
August 12th, 2008, 01:07 PM
English is my native tongue but I also speak (nearly) fluent Spanish as I have been living in Spain quite a while. It could be better, but I woork for an English company as a Sysadmin and most of my coworkers are English speaking. All the software we use is in English as well.

Huxterby

Cobol to Java
August 12th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Lol, very deceiving thread. I was almost sure everyone would be talking about programming languages before I entered here.

Well anyways,

I can understand/speak/write Tagalog, Spanish, American English and lots of Baby Talk.

Masoris
August 12th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I can understand/speak/write Tagalog, Spanish, American English and lots of Baby Talk.

Baby talk???

Do you know 'mama' means 'mother' or 'food' in international baby language.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mama_and_papa

Koori23
August 12th, 2008, 10:34 PM
English only. I must also say I fail miserably at that when I'm on a date with a pretty gal.

cardinals_fan
August 12th, 2008, 10:36 PM
English, and I'm learning French.

lukjad
August 12th, 2008, 11:05 PM
English, French, Tiny amount of Spanish.

VitaLiNux
August 12th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Spanish, 'till I die!
English my 2nd language.

lukjad
August 12th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Hola! Como esta sen~or?