PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Debian and Red Hat

muhsinmuttaqi
August 11th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Hi

I the sticky you were explaining that there are two primary LINUX Parent Distros:

Is it possible to install two different distros, one is from the Debian family and the other is from the Red Hat family?:lolflag:

OutOfReach
August 11th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Oh yes, it is very possible. :)

pparks1
August 11th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Yes, you could install both as a dual boot system. Or better yet, you could install either in a virtual environment (VMWare or VirtualBox) and play around with both and determine which you might like better.

I grew up on Redhat and it's what I use at work in my production server environment. However, for most of my desktop needs and home use, I tend to use Ubuntu. I like the long term releases and 3 years of updates. In addition, it just seems that for me, more stuff just works out of the box with a little less hassle on Ubuntu. The community here is really friendly as well, which makes it ideal for newbies and experienced users alike who like to share their experiences.

bobnutfield
August 11th, 2008, 10:51 PM
As long as they have their own partition, you can install any and as many as you have partitions for. I have five on my desktop and three on my laptop, all different distros.

cgkades
August 11th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I have five on my desktop and three on my laptop, all different distros.

LOL, your sig says it all ;)

teaker1s
August 11th, 2008, 10:59 PM
In my opinion having run debian etch and lenny/sid, I would say that debian is a lot less new user friendly:- for an out of box experience ubuntu rocks.
If on the other hand you want it exactly how you want it- debian is great.

Redhat really from my point of view is great for production environment too.

bobnutfield
August 11th, 2008, 10:59 PM
LOL, your sig says it all ;)

True...Everytime I try a new one, I decide I like it and just install it...

Thank goodness for multiple drives and logical partitions!

bodhi.zazen
August 11th, 2008, 11:37 PM
How to Multi-boot (Maintain more then 2 OS) - Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=724817)

You can do more then dual boot , you can also use virtualization (ie VMWare / VirtualBox) and run them at the same time.

You can even chroot and say apt-get update && apt-get upgrade so you can upgrade Ubuntu while running fedora.