PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] On bootup, i got a routine check of drives. why?

deathvalleyjoker
August 11th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I restarted my computer after adding a splash image to the bootloader menu.lst. when i selected ubuntu, on the ubuntu splash screen with the orange loadbar, is said something along the lines of Routine Disk Check: (Ubuntu: /dev/sda3).

i guess it found nothing wrong, because i didnt get anyother messages. i have never seen this before, and was wondering what it checks, and how routine is routine? was it because i messed with config files?

thanks.

SunnyRabbiera
August 11th, 2008, 09:50 PM
This is common, dont worry.
The os checks the filesystem for errors every 20 boots or so (the number is random though from my experience)
You did nothing wrong, its supposed to do that.

Victormd
August 11th, 2008, 09:51 PM
This is normal behavior. It does the check every 30+ times you boot. Don't worry about it. It's similar to checkdisk under windows...

OutOfReach
August 11th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Yes, Ubuntu does a routine check of the hard drive, every i believe 30 (?) boots.

SunnyRabbiera
August 11th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Yes, Ubuntu does a routine check of the hard drive, every i believe 30 (?) boots.

It is between 20 and 30 in my experience, its never quite that consistent.

vikramaditya
August 11th, 2008, 09:54 PM
mine does it every time i've been a bad boy ;)

alienexplorers
August 11th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Mine does a disk check on bootup if I have been running windows before switching over to Ubuntu. Seems kind of odd since they are on seperate disks and I don't use the Ubuntu drive while in windows.

OutOfReach
August 11th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Actually now that I remember, when I have been messing around with my partitions, resizing them, etc... and when I boot up into Ubuntu it checks my drives, But that might just be a crazy coincidence.

deathvalleyjoker
August 11th, 2008, 10:13 PM
accually alienexplorers, i was just in my windows partition. so maybe that could be it? I rarely use my windows partition after my first install of ubuntu, and only boot into it for gamming.

Thanks everyone. I got a little crazy when i found all the things i could play with in linux, and have been messing with config files like everyother day, on my path to learn how everything works. I got a little scared when i saw that though.

zuner2012
August 11th, 2008, 10:19 PM
as posted before "this is normal, you have done nothing wrong", is correct. just press esc when it start. No big deal really just ubuntu making sure it's working correctly.

shae
August 11th, 2008, 10:43 PM
If your Windows partition is on FAT32 and is mounted in Ubuntu, it might be checked every time you boot Ubuntu. This behavior can be removed from your fstab file.

Instructions: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2554034&postcount=3

ajgreeny
August 11th, 2008, 10:57 PM
You can also change the frequency of the disk check from the default 30 to a higher number; useful if you boot up more than once a day. Have a look at tune2fs by using
man tune2fs in terminal

dan100
June 22nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Why would it do this if I haven't asked for it.
How cr*p is that.

I'm going to enable root login just to **** them off.

shifty_powers
June 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
Why would it do this if I haven't asked for it.
How cr*p is that.

I'm going to enable root login just to **** them off.

well you could a big security hole in your pc just because ubuntu is doing it's job....

dan100
June 22nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
well you could a big security hole in your pc just because ubuntu is doing it's job....

It's only a computer

Mornedhel
June 22nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
It's *your* computer that will be compromised, but the botnet it will be part of will be making *our* lives miserable. Just because you don't care that your machine will be used to send spam doesn't mean we don't care that our inboxes are clogged with the stuff.

At least make sure your root password isn't easy to guess (hint : "root" and "test" are not good passwords and neither is any word from the dictionary).

dan100
June 22nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
It's *your* computer that will be compromised, but the botnet it will be part of will be making *our* lives miserable. Just because you don't care that your machine will be used to send spam doesn't mean we don't care that our inboxes are clogged with the stuff.

At least make sure your root password isn't easy to guess (hint : "root" and "test" are not good passwords and neither is any word from the dictionary).

Ok. No worries, I'll wipe it and install Debian tomorrow. So your live won't be so miserable.
Anyway I was just trying ubuntu for mythtv, but it's got to many annoying things in it and hard drive check for no reason was one of them.

shifty_powers
June 22nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
heh, well thats up to you. Thats the beauty of having so many distro's, you can choose the one that suits you.

But seeing as Ubuntu os based on Debian, you might not be as happy as you think...