PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu hardy freezes while multitasking

imgkg
August 11th, 2008, 08:46 PM
hi guys , i have a problem my ubuntu hardy freezes, it doesnt run smooth as it should be while multi tasking my system configuration is P4 3ghzt,512 MB ram , nVIDIA 6200 256 MB graphic card.i have a dual boot comparatively windows xp handles multitasking better than hardy , i have even prelinked it and even installed pre loader , also disabled extra virtual terminal even using lxde desktop any ideas why it does so please help

Crafty Kisses
August 11th, 2008, 08:57 PM
When you are multi-tasking, go to "System Monitor" and see how much RAM is being used.

imgkg
August 11th, 2008, 09:09 PM
its only 54% of the ram is utilised even tho i am running memory intensive applications almost like 5 to 6 applications running

mlentink
August 11th, 2008, 09:35 PM
What processor do you have? How much of it is utilized?
What apps are you running?

Please keep in mind that, unlike Windows (originally), *X was designed to be multi-tasking as well as multi-user, and generally performs better at it. Si there must be something else that freezes your system. But to diagnose, we need more info.

imgkg
August 11th, 2008, 09:50 PM
processor is pentium 4 3ghzt with HT, mostly i have seen 23 percent of it is utilised on either like cpu 1 and cpu 2 , applications i ran was gimp,firefox , openoffice presentation, word , kopete messeneger , kpdf

dacorr
August 11th, 2008, 09:54 PM
may be somthing random, but i noticed that out of the machines i use the only duel cores that have issues is the Intel one, It seems to have issues using the cores. The AMD ones run fine...

Could be because i always pick on the Intel one though:)

Dac

imgkg
August 11th, 2008, 09:57 PM
i am little concerned if there is problem with graphic card its AGP graphic card on intel 82865 mother board if i have not missed something