PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] iTunes replacement

ramunenke
August 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Ok, I plan to bite the bullet and wean myself off of my Windows OS. The thing is I know it wont work without a good music player. Any suggestions?

OutOfReach
August 11th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Well if you really like that iTunes kind of feeling I suggest Songbird (http://getsongbird.com/) or if you want to try something 'different' I suggest having a look at Banshee (http://banshee-project.org/)

anotherdisciple
August 11th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Check out Exaile... I love it.

cj2003
August 11th, 2008, 08:03 PM
You could also make iTunes run under Wine:
How to get iTunes working in Ubuntu (http://ubuntu-news.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=4251)

karasuman
August 11th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I use two different programs for my iPod.

gtkpod handles everything fabulously... except for pictures and video. :-/ The file organization and metadata renaming is incredibly easy, though.

For videos, I use Songbird. I don't like the way it handles metadata quite as much, but I think I'd probably use it exclusively if I'd found it first.

I never got Banshee to do much for me. It wouldn't even recognize my iPod, so... shrug. I also gave floola a try. It's buggy and the support is craptastic with a general flavor of "if it doesn't work for you, it's clearly because you suck, and, by the way, why haven't you donated via paypal yet?"

A warning, though... Once you switch, I think you have to really switch. I plugged my iPod into my husband's laptop to use iTunes, and it ate all of the metadata changes I'd made with gtkpod. All of the tags reverted. Hours of work, lost.

anotherdisciple
August 11th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I heard that iTunes with WINE is sketchy at best... I've never tried it though.

gtkpod is excellent

hufferd
August 11th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I like Banshee (http://banshee-project.org/) myself - has been working well for me.

:guitar:

rossjman1
August 11th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Amarok

ooobuntooo
August 11th, 2008, 08:18 PM
gtkpod is great for handling album art and stuff like that!

kevin11951
August 11th, 2008, 08:21 PM
why dosent anyone just use rythmbox?

ramunenke
August 11th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Can I sync my iPod to any of these?

ooobuntooo
August 11th, 2008, 08:24 PM
why dosent anyone just use rythmbox?

I don't like it as much as the others.

ooobuntooo
August 11th, 2008, 08:25 PM

Yeah, all the ones we mentioned.

anotherdisciple
August 11th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I think sometimes exaile syncing with an ipod can be sketchy, but they have probably fixed that by now.

ZeldaFan
August 11th, 2008, 08:43 PM
gtkpod may be best for syncing with an iPod. But for the purposes of a music player, amarok is the best for me. Even though its a KDE program, it works perfectly in standard (gnome) ubuntu and I have grown so comfortable with it, that I prefer it over itunes or WMP. It is just so much more intuitive than those players, and it even has iPod support.

ramunenke
August 11th, 2008, 09:04 PM
gtkpod may be best for syncing with an iPod. But for the purposes of a music player, amarok is the best for me. Even though its a KDE program

Two questions, can amarok still sync, and can either gtkpod or amarok reach across partitions to put music into the library? Without hiccups I mean.

Crafty Kisses
August 11th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Two questions, can amarok still sync, and can either gtkpod or amarok reach across partitions to put music into the library? Without hiccups I mean.

I'm pretty sure AmaroK can still sync.

ooobuntooo
August 11th, 2008, 09:38 PM
gtkpod doesn't require a music library. It recognizes the music stored on the ipod along with all the album art etc..

OutOfReach
August 11th, 2008, 09:40 PM

Of course you can. :)

nothingspecial
August 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM
It all depends what your ipod and music collection is like. I have over 18,000 songs that I want syncing with my ipod so I use Banshee, which has nice podcast support also.
However, my wife (4gig nano) uses gtkpod-aac which is much simpler. She just right clicks to remove a song/album and drags n drops to put a new one on. That`s it.

odysseusjak
August 11th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I also like Songbird. I must confess, though, that it's still beta. However, all of the other apps I tried, (Banshee, Exaile, Rhythmbox, etc.) would sync. I could drag and drop files from and to my iPod and library, but only Songbird allowed me to actually sync my iPod. I posted a blog about it here (http://odysseus.wordpress.com/2008/07/03/songbird/).

ramunenke
August 11th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I'm using amarok right now and it is helpful. After a few missteps, I put the good parts of my library into the player's collection. I havent synced it with my iPod yet because I let someone borrow it today. I'll tell you guys the results when I can.

Thanks to all.

edit- how can I modify that alert amarok gives me everytime a new song comes up. At first it looked like a nice touch but now the bar just blocks whatever I'm working on.

ZeldaFan
August 12th, 2008, 04:40 AM
how can I modify that alert amarok gives me everytime a new song comes up. At first it looked like a nice touch but now the bar just blocks whatever I'm working on.

At the top, go to Settings -> Configure Amarok. Then in the window that opens, click on the tab on the left labeled OSD. Uncheck the option that says "Use On-Screen Display". That should do it.