PDA

View Full Version : What Sky OS is for?

icett
August 11th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Just been to their website and come to know that they are developing a commercial OS and that it is not based on any other OS like Linux, Unix, NT, none of them. Also the downloads are for a fee. Would like to know why are they developing this OS? Do they intend to release it as as a counterpart to Windows? I also saw the pics of the developers but I dont think they are financially strong enough to do what I think they wish to. If you know anything about Sky OS please let me know. Thanks. Your brother in Linux!:)

KingTermite
August 11th, 2008, 06:30 PM
OK, I'd never heard of them but just looked them up.

I think I am with you in that I don't understand its point. I can't see anything they are doing that is new or different. From what I can see of the development team, I don't get warm fuzzies. For a full OS development, I'd really like to see more experience.

It kind of gives the impression of a bunch of young code geeks trying to create a Windows clone in hopes they can get rich in doing so. I'd think differently if they really had a "new" vision, but I don't see anything "new" or "innovative" from a relatively quick scan of website.

fiddledd
August 11th, 2008, 06:31 PM
At first glance it looks like something to steer clear of. You even have to pay them to become a beta tester. It's closed source, and they say, not Linux. My opinion is based purely on browsing the website, maybe others will be better informed.

estyles
August 11th, 2008, 06:38 PM
He also bashes Ubuntu and Ubuntu forums quite a bit. For one thing he says that you can't boot the LiveCD without getting a blank screen - which he says has happened to him on every Linux distro. Since I've never heard such a thing from anyone else, and since it happened to him with other Linux distro's something says that he has faulty hardware. But he's a real cocky prick about his Ubuntu review as well.

And the OS looks okay - I might try it if it were free. Maybe he'll release a demo version of it someday, but really, it doesn't even seem to *promise* anything new or innovative, so it seems highly unlikely to deliver such.

KingTermite
August 11th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Looking at the video, its a pretty simple interface. Nothing new..in fact a bit less than impressive.

It seems like they wrote a new kernel (which I'm not downplaying as "easy" in any way) and then just bundled all the open-source apps already out there to run on it as the POSIX api is the same.

Their terminal was Bash, they showed Firefox and Gimp being used.

It looks (interface) like Linux did probably 7 or 8 years ago.

munkyeetr
August 11th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Yeah, $40-50 dollars to be a beta tester???? I sent an email to them, just out of curiosity of why they charge people to help them. I'll post their response, when (and if) I get one.

fiddledd
August 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Yeah, $40-50 dollars to be a beta tester???? I sent an email to them, just out of curiosity of why they charge people to help them. I'll post their response, when (and if) I get one.

Probably because that's where their funding is coming from, the beta testers. I guess it's a novel approach.:) I mean I'm used to steering clear of things that seem too good to be true, but this seems too bad to be true. "Please let me give you money to test your beta software, please".

Canis familiaris
August 11th, 2008, 06:48 PM
"Please let me give you money to test your beta software, please".
FAIL. This approach not you. :)

joshdudeha
August 11th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I don't like the developer's (Robert Szeleney) beard !! ;o
its scary x

fiddledd
August 11th, 2008, 06:49 PM
http://www.freeos.com/projdetails/57/

I guess not much as changed since 2004 then, apart from paying to beta test it, oh and it was free then.

VitaLiNux
August 11th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Probably because that's where their funding is coming from, the beta testers. I guess it's a novel approach.:) I mean I'm used to steering clear of things that seem too good to be true, but this seems too bad to be true. "Please let me give you money to test your beta software, please".
have they gone nuts?:rolleyes:

estyles
August 11th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Well, let's assume that you have to pay for the OS anyway... Assuming that, paying 29EU to get it early, have the beta version and then a "free" copy when it's released isn't completely ridiculous, since 29EU is probably a discount off the regular price. Of course, when you can get N flavors of GNU/Linux for free, and some of them very stable - then, yes, it's crazy to pay for a beta.

I just don't see where his market is. Of course, he insists that Linux doesn't work at all, but for most people it works better than I would guess his beta does. And there seems to be little chance of converting Windows users, since Windows is "free" anyway in most people's view, and if GNU/Linux can't get people to switch for free, who's going to pay for the privilege?

Sporkman
August 11th, 2008, 07:04 PM
The SkyOS wikipedia page is pretty amusing.

The talk page is even more so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:SkyOS

munkyeetr
August 11th, 2008, 07:42 PM

The response:

You get the Final version and can additionally test SkyOS right now.
So you actually dont pay for the beta. (read the get SkyOS Page for
more Details)

Thanks,
Robert

Canis familiaris
August 11th, 2008, 07:44 PM
The response:

You get the Final version and can additionally test SkyOS right now.
So you actually dont pay for the beta. (read the get SkyOS Page for
more Details)

Thanks,
Robert

Strange Reply

lukjad
August 11th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I added a few more entries to the Alternative OSes section. Can you guess which?

Canis familiaris
August 11th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I added a few more entries to the Alternative OSes section. Can you guess which?

Dont. Ubuntu is part of Linux after all.

lukjad
August 11th, 2008, 08:04 PM
So...? Linux wan't there, neither was BSD. I was just adding to the article to make it more accurate and thought that you would like to know.

Canis familiaris
August 11th, 2008, 08:11 PM
So...? Linux wan't there, neither was BSD. I was just adding to the article to make it more accurate and thought that you would like to know.

Actually Linux or BSD is a mainstream OS, that is why it was not included.
I appreciate your intentions to be very noble but actually these were alternative OS outside of Windows, BSD, Linux, OpenSolaris.
(I may be mistaken, but I thought it was that when I read the article)

lukjad
August 11th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Ah, well, it will get changed soon if it is wrong.

Sporkman
August 11th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Ah, well, it will get changed soon if it is wrong.

:lol: Good ol' Wikipedia! :D

lukjad
August 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Soon, it will be back to the way that Sky OS is the best thing since sliced bread. Oh well. (*Ninja say: Me thinks that thread will be closed soon.*)

motang
August 20th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Well I sent an email to the developer few weeks ago, stating how I though a beta tester was suppose to be a person who got the product for free as they are dedicating their time and effort and their hardware to test out a program and got a response of "Your welcome." That really ticked me off. Here I was looking into playing around with this new OS and I have to pay to beta test it and I don't even know if it will run on my system. So no thank you.

That out of the way, it looks kinda cool, but after KDE 4, I can't help to think how it looks similar to it, with the whole Plastik icons and stuff. OS have come a long way and what this person is doing is bundling a propitiatory kernel with a closed source OS (which I don't have any problem with) with open source software that I can already run happily on my Ubuntu machines and Windows machine. So I think it will be a hard sell for him, oh I really didn't like the way he bashed Ubuntu in his review I have never heard of any Linux especially Ubuntu giving a blank screen on Live CD...he must have a faulty hardware.

jespdj
August 20th, 2008, 07:08 PM
So, Sky OS is a closed source operating system which is just out of the hobby stage, and is developed by a single, arrogant developer, who has the audacity to ask money to test his OS for him.

A recipe for failure.

sydbat
August 20th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Spreading FUD to make himself and his OS look better than (specifically) Ubuntu. Plus, this has all been discussed before (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=736828) to the point where the thread was closed.

I suggest that this thread be closed before it gets to the same point.

lukjad
August 20th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Soon, it will be back to the way that Sky OS is the best thing since sliced bread. Oh well. (*Ninja say: Me thinks that thread will be closed soon.*)
The entries are mostly still there. I think that Ubuntu is gone but the rest stayed.

kernelhaxor
August 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
u think anyone wud be stupid enough to buy that beta software?

I dont get it .. nothing in that OS is appealing to me .. their website sucks more ..

kernelhaxor
August 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
EDITED.
Sorry. Duplicate post.

TravisNewman
August 20th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Just took the time to read that talk page, and the wiki page.... so much drama! I was surprised to see Thom from OSNews being so incredibly biased. That was in 2004, however.

Anyway, one of my friends bought this (the build that was current about a year ago) and I have used it. I can tell you that OS/2 Warp is probably more useful. Honestly stating an opinion and not bashing here-- I think I'd choose to use Windows 95 over this. You can probably find a copy of 95 cheaper anyway.

sydbat
August 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Just took the time to read that talk page, and the wiki page.... so much drama! I was surprised to see Thom from OSNews being so incredibly biased. That was in 2004, however.

Anyway, one of my friends bought this (the build that was current about a year ago) and I have used it. I can tell you that OS/2 Warp is probably more useful. Honestly stating an opinion and not bashing here-- I think I'd choose to use Windows 95 over this. You can probably find a copy of 95 cheaper anyway.I just did a cursory read through of the SkyOS site, but it says you have to have VMware (or something) to run it. Is it only a virtual OS? Can it not be installed directly onto a HDD? Or did I read this wrong?

TravisNewman
August 20th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I think you must have read that wrong. You CAN install it in VMWare, but you can also install it just as you would Linux and Windows.

sydbat
August 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
OK thanks. As I said, I had just skim read the site.