PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help installing ubuntu !!

matthewbrave
August 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I have just got the live cd to work by getting it to do a boot menu to select either win xp or ubuntu in live cd.

when it all loads up it comes up with an error and sais that the deamon settings diddnt run or something. i then clicked ok and it went to the desktop.

when i wanted to install ubuntu on to the hdd i clicked on the install icon. i did this several times and nothing happened.:confused:

also when clicking on it at the bottom of the screen a process apears in the bottom bar and vanishes very quickly.

after a while of clicking and clicking i worked out what it said, it said 'starting administrativ...', if you can help me please feel free to post solutions.

if this is normal please can you give me some instructions on what to do next.

thanks

Ryadt
August 11th, 2008, 05:45 PM
How much RAM do you have?
For the installation, try installing by rebooting and changing your boot options to boot first from cd-rom.

ramnarayan
August 11th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Hi Matthew the Brave,

What is your machine (computer) and which version of Ubuntu are you using.

That might help to start you off.

Run a google search with your computer name and ubuntu that will help too

ram

appi2012
August 11th, 2008, 05:48 PM
This site will guide you through the installation procedure:
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

matthewbrave
August 11th, 2008, 05:50 PM
well i habe x2 256 mb of ram so 512mb installed on the computer. i have tried to boot cd by changing bios but doesent work!

the computer i have is a jumble of old computers and new bits but works perfectly fine on xp pro.

matthewbrave
August 11th, 2008, 05:53 PM
on that website you showed me i have none of that it just loads up the desktop with and examples file and install icon.

i have the live cd of 8.04 lts

Ryadt
August 11th, 2008, 05:54 PM
well i habe x2 256 mb of ram so 512mb installed on the computer. i have tried to boot cd by changing bios but doesent work!

the computer i have is a jumble of old computers and new bits but works perfectly fine on xp pro.

When you boot from the cd, does it not give you the option to install ubuntu?

matthewbrave
August 11th, 2008, 05:56 PM
it loads up the desktop and gives me the option but when i click on it it does nothing!

at the bottom of the screen a process apears in the bottom bar and vanishes very quickly.

after a while of clicking and clicking i worked out what it said, it said 'starting administrativ...' and then it vanishes

Ryadt
August 11th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Try using the alternate cd to install. Download it here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
make sure you check the box for the alternate version.

ramnarayan
August 11th, 2008, 06:02 PM

Ok how much HD space

Second - it seems to be booting of the CD fine otherwise it would not give you a desktop

Third try WUBI - which is a Windows based installer for UBuntu - but you need to have free space of about 6 GB before it starts up.

ram

matthewbrave
August 11th, 2008, 06:02 PM
i dont have any cds left to do that.

is there no way to get it to go without doing that?

matthewbrave
August 11th, 2008, 06:06 PM
it is a 20 gb hdd but i dont want windows anymore

i have also just restarted and it has popped up with the option to install when i click on install.

appi2012
August 11th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I think perhaps you chose the "install within windows option" That would explain why it doesn't show all of the stuff on the pictures on the website. That also explains why there are only 2 options at boot, ubuntu and windows xp.

matthewbrave
August 11th, 2008, 06:24 PM
i have another problem now

when the installer was going an error came up and it sadi that one of the files was unable to be copied and it said about the cd drive having a problem.

any ideas why?