PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dust in the fan

adamogardner
August 11th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I have a laptop. I baby it like my own. and It's 6 months old. I noticed yesturday underneath there is a patch of dust over the air-intake-vent. This is disturbing so I'm looking for advice. I was thinking about 1 ply of toilet paper over the vent to filter the air. will this promote overheating. Please don't tell me to dust my home though, because It is always being done already.

sharks
August 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM
http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/usingyourlaptop/a/cleanlaptop.htm

adamogardner
August 11th, 2008, 03:24 PM
http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/usingyourlaptop/a/cleanlaptop.htm

thanks for the link. HP (will have one more specific to my needs. I guess what I'm really looking for is an ounce of prevention. Your link allows for the fact that fans pull in dust which is contrary to prevention.
thanks

pparks1
August 11th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Well, just about any computer that is running for awhile is going to exhibit the same symptoms that you are seeing. The good news is that the dust rarely has a significant impact on the machine. I've pulled apart machines at work that have tons of dust everywhere, but yet they were running just fine.

If you do attempt to come up with some sort of filter, just be sure that it can be removed to be cleaned and that it allows air to pass through. Seems like toilet paper may be a bit flimsy and restrictive at the same time. Maybe something like a swatch of pantyhose would work out better...providing you could get it attached and keep it there without it ripping.

Personally, I wouldn't worry much about it. Just clean it out as best you can every now and then with some compressed air. I'd bet you will want to get rid of the laptop for performance reasons long before you have to for reasons caused by dust.

anotherdisciple
August 11th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Yikes... I'd be careful about changing how it takes in air. Personally, I would just buy some canned air and give the vents a quick shot once or twice a week... that should clear out most of the dust without the possibility of making it overheat.

adamogardner
August 11th, 2008, 03:40 PM
"Pantyhose" what an excellent idea! Well my battery is getting replace in another year and a half. What other performance issues will arise? can I prevent them. This is my first computer. I know some other old computers are loud and slow. will mine get loud and slow?

compressed air sounds like a bad idea. I know everyone does it but doesn't that just spread dust?

DirtyDawg
August 11th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I have a desktop that kept randomly switching itself off.
After about a week of this, i took it apart, the fan for the CPU
was unplugged, the fan on the GFX card was so clogged it wouldnt spin, and the fan at the back of the pc was thisk of dust.
Took em all apart and cleaned them, no problems since, dust is a killer.

pparks1
August 11th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Eventually, all new computers that were once speedy and state of the art simply become slow and intolerable. Not because they are actually slowing down, but because new machines keep coming out which are faster and new programs are bigger and take more RAM and consume more hard drive space and are just harder for the older computers to handle. That's all that I meant.

And as DirtyDawg noted, if you get "enough" dust to literally stop a fan than you are certainly going to experience problems. But that much dust is quite a rarity or would only happen after years of use.

adamogardner
August 11th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Eventually, all new computers that were once speedy and state of the art simply become slow and intolerable. Not because they are actually slowing down, but because new machines keep coming out which are faster and new programs are bigger and take more RAM and consume more hard drive space and are just harder for the older computers to handle. That's all that I meant.

And as DirtyDawg noted, if you get "enough" dust to literally stop a fan than you are certainly going to experience problems. But that much dust is quite a rarity or would only happen after years of use.

I'm not worrying about dust stopping the fan. the fan is taking dust and hair and sloop and ditributing it inside the machine. For this reason I don't like the idea of shooting air into it because blown air will take the paths of least resistance. I don't think that path is entirely back out through the holes in the grate. I like the pantyhose idea. I can stretch it to widen the perforations as much as possible. I can clean the glue from duct tape easier than the inside of a computer.
Perhaps we take for granted that computers just turn obsolete. Maybe that obsoletion is built in like everything else we buy. like wide open intake registers.

Vivaldi Gloria
August 11th, 2008, 04:49 PM
"dust in the fan" sounds like a song title.

eriqjaffe
August 11th, 2008, 05:09 PM
compressed air sounds like a bad idea. I know everyone does it but doesn't that just spread dust?If you're worried about blowing dust around, then just do the reverse and use a vacuum.

There are devices specifically intended for PC use (http://www.amazon.com/Metropolitan-Vacuum-R-DataVac-PC/dp/B00006IAOQ), even.

anotherdisciple
August 11th, 2008, 05:10 PM
"dust in the fan" sounds like a song title.

haha... "all we are is dust in the fan"

If you chose to take your computer apart... that's probably not necessary though.... I would make sure to wear an anti-static band ... electronic components are touchy.... wouldn't want to screw them up. Just a thought.

adamogardner
August 11th, 2008, 05:27 PM
If you're worried about blowing dust around, then just do the reverse and use a vacuum.

There are devices specifically intended for PC use (http://www.amazon.com/Metropolitan-Vacuum-R-DataVac-PC/dp/B00006IAOQ), even.

ok yeah I actually accidently sucked my tab key off my board a few weeks ago and bent the little thing. Somebody who actually seen beneath a key recognized that it was bent and I fixed it.

static band is a good idea. thanks