PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help Installing - Have I Got This Right

Mashy
August 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Ok, so I want to install the latest version of Ubuntu onto a 500gig external hard drive. I have a live cd. Am I right in assuming that to do this, instead of selecting my regular C drive to install to, I select the external drive? I am running windows XP service pack 2 from my internal hard drive (C) at the moment, and don't want to mess with that atall.

Is there anything I should watch out for that could possibly damage what I already have on that drive?

I also want to be able to connect to the internet through Ubuntu. I have a Speedtouch 330 ADSL USB modem, and am on Tesco Broadband.

I have found this site - http://www.squeezedonkey.com/wiki/linux/index.php?title=How_to_Try_it

which claims to let me to be able to use my modem. I have heard people say that this is very good, but I want to double check how I should use it.

I have downloaded the latest file (with extension .deb, if that helps) and copied it to a usb stick. Now if I want to use it, I should install ubuntu onto the drive, and then copy the file onto the hard drive, and then run the file, and do what it says, filling in my information?

Er, yeah, I think that's it. I just want to know what I should be doing before I start anything.

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.