PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu CD

ADNoland
November 11th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Ehm.. I hope this is the right place to ask this :oops:

I've been talking with a friend at school that uses linux, and I've decided I want to try it out, yet I don't currently have a system to install it on by itself, and I don't feel comfortable putting it on my windows system.

I've downloaded the Ubuntu 5.10 LiveCD file, yet I can't get it to burn to a CD-R. I haven't played with my DVD burner much.. I've burnt one CD before, and thats the only time so it may be something stupid :oops: I'm currently burning it to a CD-RW, but I'd like to put it on a CD-R, it just doesn't see enough space on the CD, anyone have problems like this before?:confused:

etc
November 11th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Check the md5sum, I think the page where you downloaded it has instructions and also it would help if we knew what program you were using to burn it, and your drive model.
It also may just be bad cd's, one of my computers refused to use Memorex media.

ADNoland
November 11th, 2005, 02:03 AM
they're memorex CD-Rs.. while the CD-RWs are Sony >_<
I was using nero on a .... ehmm.. not sure exactly..
was something like an NEC nd-3510 or 3540 or something DVD burner

jasay
November 11th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Definately check the md5sum to make sure the iso downloaded correctly. As for burning, you have so it slightly differently with iso's than most files. There are instructions for nero here:

http://help.ubuntu.com/starterguide/C/ch01.html#id2473365

You might also want to burn at a slower speed than usual.

ADNoland
November 11th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Thank you very much.. I had used the search button on the forums but didnt find anything, thanks for the link.