PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is "Stealth" more secure than "closed" ports?

Brian_Newbie
August 11th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I've heard that it's better to be in "stealth mode" when surfing the internet than my computer's ports showing simply as "closed." Is this true for Linux? I run hardy Heron 8.04 on an Acer 4315 laptop.

iaculallad
August 11th, 2008, 10:11 AM
The difference is that, "close" port sends a response to the sender that the port is closed/inaccessible while a "stealth" port doesn't send any response.
So when you speak of being secure, you could just "Close" your desired port so nothing will even come from the outside.

*To the other side, it would just be a trial and error if you had it on stealth mode though*

Vivaldi Gloria
August 11th, 2008, 10:23 AM
"Stealth" is a bad term.

See this link :

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch14_:_Linux_Firewalls_Using_iptable s#Table_14-2_Descriptions_Of_The_Most_Commonly_Used_Targets

The options are "Reject" and "Drop"

Reject sends an error message, drop does not. Most people feel they are equal in security (security through obscurity is no security), although opinions vary.

Thus "stealth" == "drop" and a close port is as secure as a stealth port, you are worried about open ports or the "accept" option (unless you are running a public server ...)

from

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=874899

Brian_Newbie
August 11th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I've read some posts here where ports can be "brute forced" open or entered. If this is true, could my computer's reply that a port is closed be used by a hacker or automated program to open that port? - at least more easily than a Stealthed port (a non-responding port)?

If so, then how can I put my laptop into "stealth mode.?" (or is it worth the bother?

mcduck
August 11th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Actually using the stealth mode could be less safe. Because thet still tells the possible attacker that there is a computer in that IP address, and that the computer admin has decided to stealth the ports. If there wasn't a computer, trying to access the IP would result in a response that there is no computer in that address, while stealth results in no response at all.

So the attcaker might see the machine as more interesting challenge, something worth trying to hack into.

Brian_Newbie
August 11th, 2008, 10:29 AM
from

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=874899

Thanks for the links. Lots of useful info that I can learn from.

Brian_Newbie
August 11th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Actually using the stealth mode could be less safe. Because thet still tells the possible attacker that there is a computer in that IP address, and that the computer admin has decided to stealth the ports. If there wasn't a computer, trying to access the IP would result in a response that there is no computer in that address, while stealth results in no response at all.

So the attcaker might see the machine as more interesting challenge, something worth trying to hack into.

I would take that as a challenge too. I think it's best to leave my Ubuntu's default as it is - with the ports showing as closed (I used Steve Gibson's grc.com website to check my port status).

Vivaldi Gloria
August 11th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Actually in the default ubuntu install all ports in ubuntu are open (no firewall running) but there are no services listening to any port. So it's very secure.

If you have a router then probably grc.com is scanning your router, not your computer.

iaculallad
August 11th, 2008, 10:52 AM
To test your local PC, install the NMAP utilty:

sudo apt-get install nmap

and try to port-scan your OWN computer using your private IP address:

nmap -A -T4 your_private_pc_IPaddress

You could use other switches when using the nmap utility.

man nmap

for more details.

Brian_Newbie
August 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Actually in the default ubuntu install all ports in ubuntu are open (no firewall running) but there are no services listening to any port. So it's very secure.

If you have a router then probably grc.com is scanning your router, not your computer.

It must be built into my laptop as I have no external router and my wireless connections work just fine.

It's nice to know that Ubuntu's default installation is very secure. However, how do I check if my computer ports are open - and if so, should I close them even though I'm behind a router?

Vivaldi Gloria
August 11th, 2008, 11:03 AM
should I close them even though I'm behind a router?

Since there is no service responding to any packet that arrives at any port the outside world thinks that the ports are closed. So there is no point of closing ports using a firewall. If you really want then try ufw. Read

man ufw

in a terminal and especially look at the EXAMPLES section.

t0p
August 11th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I've read some posts here where ports can be "brute forced" open or entered. If this is true, could my computer's reply that a port is closed be used by a hacker or automated program to open that port? - at least more easily than a Stealthed port (a non-responding port)?

Nahhh... I don't think so anyway. If a port's closed, it's closed. Unless the evil hacker in question's gonna come round your house and kick the ports in... ;)

Brian_Newbie
August 11th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks to everyone that responded. I installed the NMAP utility and will test my pc. However it doesn't look like I'll even need to use UFW from what I read here.

I come from a Windows background and I found that even the most effective firewalls and anti-virus programmes failed. I'm happy to know that security is not an afterthought for the Linux operating system.

I'm glad I made the switch!

iaculallad
August 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks to everyone that responded. I installed the NMAP utility and will test my pc. However it doesn't look like I'll even need to use UFW from what I read here.

I come from a Windows background and I found that even the most effective firewalls and anti-virus programmes failed. I'm happy to know that security is not an afterthought for the Linux operating system.

I'm glad I made the switch!

That's the best choice. Welcome to Ubuntu.