PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running Python Programs from Arbitrary Directory

Umenzi
August 11th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I am just getting situated in Ubuntu, and I am having trouble running python programs. I've used python on other systems before.
The trouble is, when I try to run a python program from the terminal, it ends up like this:

$ python helloworld.py
python: can't open file 'helloworld.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

That is, of course, when I have helloworld.py stored somewhere besides my user folder. It works in my user folder, but I would rather not keep python programs there. It also works when I change the terminal directory:

cd ~/Desktop/Folder
python helloworld.py
Hello, World!

But is there a way to conveniently run python programs from a separate folder, without having to change the terminal directory?

FYI, I have tried sys.path.append(), PATH=$PATH:, and yes, the first line of code is #!/usr/bin/python

Thanks,
Umenzi

ad_267
August 11th, 2008, 09:49 AM
You can put them in ~/bin or in /usr/bin or you can modify your path. Not your python path but your bash path. In a terminal enter:

PATH=$PATH:/home/your_user_name/Desktop/Folder

I just put all my scripts in ~/bin which should already be in your path.

adult swim
August 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM
also you can type in a terminal

echo $PATH and it will give you all of the directories that it will check for your hello world file. if you move it to one of the directories that is displayed it will work.

Umenzi
August 13th, 2008, 03:32 AM
PATH=$PATH:x

Doesn't seem to work, nor does copying my python file into one of the directories already listed in "echo $PATH". Also, the new directory will show up in echo, but it won't find files from there. I'm confused, by for now I guess I'll just change my terminal directory.

ad_267
August 13th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Ahh I think I get what you're doing wrong now.

You need to put as the very first line in your python file:

#!/usr/bin/env python

And then don't run the script with "python helloworld.py", just use "helloworld.py"

kpkeerthi
August 13th, 2008, 08:09 AM
... and make sure helloworld.py is executable.
chmod u+x helloworld.py

Decommissioner
August 3rd, 2009, 03:20 AM
I was having the same problem as the above users, and not saving it to the desktop seemed to work, except for the fact that I am greeted with a new error message that reads as follows:

python helloworld.py
File "helloworld.py", line 1
Python 2.5.4 (r254:67916, Apr 4 2009, 17:55:16)
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I know I am running 2.6.2, So what does this even mean?

ad_267
August 3rd, 2009, 05:54 AM
You probably should have started a new thread rather than resurrecting this old one. What does the first line of your file look like? It shouldn't say "Python 2.5.4" so delete that if it does. It should only say "#!/usr/bin/env python"

colau
August 31st, 2009, 02:53 PM
I am just getting situated in Ubuntu, and I am having trouble running python programs. I've used python on other systems before.
The trouble is, when I try to run a python program from the terminal, it ends up like this:

$ python helloworld.py
python: can't open file 'helloworld.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

That is, of course, when I have helloworld.py stored somewhere besides my user folder. It works in my user folder, but I would rather not keep python programs there. It also works when I change the terminal directory:

cd ~/Desktop/Folder
python helloworld.py
Hello, World!

But is there a way to conveniently run python programs from a separate folder, without having to change the terminal directory?

FYI, I have tried sys.path.append(), PATH=$PATH:, and yes, the first line of code is #!/usr/bin/python

Thanks,
Umenzi

Can you post your complete code?