PDA

View Full Version : Your native slang

RedPandaFox
August 11th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I don't know if slang is an Aussi word or one everyone will know, its your country's jargon, I want to know what other countries have for your own version of English

Like this:
Shazza, and Dazza, went to Bazza's for a Barbi.
Translated to generic:
Sharron, and Daron, went to Barry's house for a get-together
(don't know how you would say it)

My girlfriend is English and im Australian.
First think I had to teach her was what I was waring. When I told her I was going to get "me Wife-beater, stubbies, thongs and me dry's-a-bone" she just stared at me :P

(That mean blue singlet, footy shorts (Aussi rules footy that is) "flip flops" as you Yanks and that call them and my rain jacket)

Atomic Dog
August 11th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Wife-beater = Tank top for a trailer park resident (at least here in the US).

zxscooby
August 11th, 2008, 08:24 AM
do what?
smatterchew?
I reckon ya'll pirt neer crazy callin a slicker a drysabone
nary a oneya speaks propper English
Im fixin to go down the way a piece an buy me a pop.
I'll have to wear muh toboggan , its colder than a well diggers butt.

translation

What did you just say?
What is wrong with you.
I suppose all of you are almost insane because you refer to a
rain coat as a drysabone.
None of you know how to speak propper English
I am about to travel a few miles down the road and purchase a carbonated beverage. I will have to wear my knit wool cap as it is very cold outside today.

Atomic Dog
August 11th, 2008, 08:28 AM
dits colder than a well diggers butt.

Reminds me of my favorite winter saying: It's colder than a mother-in-law's kiss outside.

Lexicon101
August 11th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I don't know if slang is an Aussi word or one everyone will know, its your country's jargon, I want to know what other countries have for your own version of English

Like this:
Translated to generic:

First think I had to teach her was what I was waring. When I told her I was going to get "me Wife-beater, stubbies, thongs and me dry's-a-bone" she just stared at me :P

(That mean blue singlet, footy shorts (Aussi rules footy that is) "flip flops" as you Yanks and that call them and my rain jacket)

I'm American. My.. er.. I guess you'd call her my ex.. is Australian. She thought Kool-aide was alcoholic. It was actually hilarious in context.
But it's not too different, just what you call things, and that's more of a learning process than something someone can teach you in a post.. Anyway, about the short-shorts... Why would you want to wear that?
Wife-beater is indeed a tank-top (usually white) worn by a poor American.

lordhaworth
August 11th, 2008, 08:59 AM
wife beater is generally used to referr to "stella artois" round here (essex/south east UK)

mips
August 11th, 2008, 09:59 AM

Like this:
Translated to generic:

What's called thongs in Oz, flip-flops in the USA are called 'slops' (English) and 'plakkies' (Afrikaans) in South Africa.
I must admit that they are the most comfortable things next to being bare foot ;)

damoxc
August 11th, 2008, 10:25 AM
What's called thongs in Oz, flip-flops in the USA are called 'slops' (English) and 'plakkies' (Afrikaans) in South Africa.
I must admit that they are the most comfortable things next to being bare foot ;)

Not in crowds, big ouch. My feet were ripped to shreds!

darthmob
August 11th, 2008, 10:37 AM
those slangs can be very difficult for non-english speaking persons. I remember seeing no country for old men and understanding not a single bit of some parts.

in my opinion german english is one of the worst (though I'm not sure if you can call it a slang). it is pretty well shown in this short commercial: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOTpIVxji8

tadcan
August 11th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I thought Kool-aide was a poison because of the Jonestown massacre!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

RedPandaFox
August 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I'm American. My.. er.. I guess you'd call her my ex.. is Australian. She thought Kool-aide was alcoholic. It was actually hilarious in context.
But it's not too different, just what you call things, and that's more of a learning process than something someone can teach you in a post.. Anyway, about the short-shorts... Why would you want to wear that?
Wife-beater is indeed a tank-top (usually white) worn by a poor American.

http://www.7perth.net/Aussie%20Slang.htm
Try that on for size.

This pic will sum up most Aussi blokes (women are called Sheila's) but I must say most guys dont have that big a guy (no im not in there :P )

lisati
August 11th, 2008, 12:35 PM
those slangs can be very difficult for non-english speaking persons. I remember seeing no country for old men and understanding not a single bit of some parts.

in my opinion german english is one of the worst (though I'm not sure if you can call it a slang). it is pretty well shown in this short commercial: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOTpIVxji8
Says it all, even though I could see it coming.....

Are you talking about jandals/thongs? (oops better rephrase before someone kicks my donkey er A**, "thongs" has a another meaning that has nothing to do with footwear)

RedPandaFox
August 11th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Something any Aussi bloke that goes overseas must take at least one pair!
I own 3 pair of this particular pair, but then again I have 5 pair of other thongs, for beach, bush, city, church and formal ware.

kerry_s
August 11th, 2008, 01:39 PM
i'll send some aloha your way.

flip-flops = slippa's
for every thing else i'd use "da'kine"
da'kine = everything and anything

When I told her I was going to get "me Wife-beater, stubbies, thongs and me dry's-a-bone" she just stared at me :P

would be: "wait cus, let me get my slippa's and da'kine."

aloha

rokytnji
August 11th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Texas slang.
Skeeter- Mosquito
Skeedadle- move quickly
Good ol boy- trustworthy man
Disco-plow disc with rebar legs in a tripod welded to bottom to cook over open fire.
barrio-neighborhood
rocky mountain oysters-cooked bull balls
spread-ranch,land
cervesa-beer
honky tonk-bar

Tomosaur
August 11th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Well here in Liverpool we have a lot of slang which I haven't really heard anywhere else in the UK. There's too much slang to mention really - and a lot of the time when talking to people who aren't from Liverpool, I'll say something and they'll have no idea what I'm on about - even if the word / phrase I just used isn't generally considered to be slang.

flytripper
August 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM
slang huh?! English slang is a bit like this where i am from.

al bray thee - I will hit you
me sen - myself/me
yo sen - yourself/you
chav - badly dressed unintelligent unemployed loudmouthed yob (plentiful in supply)
sharon/kevin - the above
the old biddy - my/your mother
slapper - woman of ill sexual repute about the town
mad ed - total nutjob
pikey - gypsy type
seeing a man about a dog - I'm off and its really none of your business where
matter do it? - it doesnt matter

some I heard more recently....

oi'm fa**ing hank marvin - I am really hungry
yam-yam - deep deep deep accented person who live in a town outside birmingham.

cant think of anymore offhand.

bimmerd00d
August 11th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Texas slang.
Skeeter- Mosquito
Skeedadle- move quickly
Good ol boy- trustworthy man
Disco-plow disc with rebar legs in a tripod welded to bottom to cook over open fire.
barrio-neighborhood
rocky mountain oysters-cooked bull balls
spread-ranch,land
cervesa-beer
honky tonk-bar

might I add

The Ice House = convenience store
The Gettin Place = Wal-Mart
Ghetto Blaster = portable radio without headphones
Ihop = Ipod

aaaantoine
August 11th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Not for nothin', but in the past, I've gotten agita from eating tree or four coneys and a hero. Madone! I'd sit on the stoop til my coolie started achin', and I'd go right back to playing more stick ball.

(To tell you the truth, in the past, I've been inflicted with heart burn / indegestion from eating three [original misspelled intentionally for phonetic reasons] or four hot dogs / Frankfurters and a large deli sandwich. [interjection] I'd sit on the front steps of my house until my gluteous maximus / butt / derier started to hurt, and I'd go right back to playing more street baseball with a broomstick.)

And yes, Long Island slang is basically 2nd or 3rd generation Brooklyn slang, since a lot of Long Islanders are Italians and such that moved out there from Brooklyn.

These days I don't live on Long Island anymore. I've moved to another part of New York with different cultural origins altogether.