PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Copying Drives in Dual Boot System...

casparov
August 11th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Hi, Everyone...

I am building a new system and would like to copy the two disk drives to new, more accommodating IDE drives. I dual boot Windows and Ubuntu, Windows to HD1 and Ubuntu to HD2.

I don't understand much about the boot sequence of GRUB, or even on which disk it resides. (I assume it is on the boot sector of the Windows (C:\) drive.) I have a couple of questions. First, if I copy my HD1 to a new hard disk (through Windows), as well as copy (through Windows) HD2 to a new, separate hard disk, would the resulting two disk system be able to dual boot in a new PC? (I am putting aside the issues which will result from hardware configuration problems in a new physical environment.)

Secondly, if I only use my first hard disk, the one with Windows on it, will I be able to boot into Windows in a new machine without the second hard disk present? (This would be the case if I can't afford two new hard disks in the new machine.)

Thirdly, will a disk copying utility (like MaxBlast or what comes w/ a new Seagate drive) faithfully copy GRUB and the Linux hard disk?

I would like keep my dual boot arrangement intact--I really appreciate any help or insight on this.

Thanks so much,

Casp