PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CDROM drive not detected - conflict with SATA?

RICARDO MENDES
August 11th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Trying to install Ubuntu 8.04, using alternate CD. Can't even check CD for defects. I heard you can check md5sum from windows but I don't know how. Anyway, here's what happens when I try to install.

Boots OK, select language and enter. After, the install starts detecting hardware and drives.

The installation stops and says "no common CD-ROM drive detected" It offers me option to install drives from floppy, or manually.

I don't have floppy drive.

I also read there can be some conflicts with SATA hds. I have a 250GB HD sata, running windows XP on an AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800 with 1Gb ram.

What can I do?

Pro-reason
August 11th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Perhaps you could boot from the live CD, open a terminal, and enter the following command:

sudo lshw -C disk

Then post the output of it here. If you want to put the output into a file, then add "> ~/Desktop/diskinfo.txt" to the end of the command.

tinker312
August 11th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I did a google search and came up with this

Okay found a work around for this I had the same issue. If you hit f6 prior to starting the install cd and append the following to the line.

hw-detect/start_pcmcia=false

This will disable pcmcia and allow the installer to continue finding yoru cdrom. I have no idea why you need to disable pcmcia I don't even have pcmcia but this fixed the issue for me. I saw a bug on launchpad about the var/log/message getting the same error messages. Well this worked for the installer as well.

courtesy of http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-331224.html

Maybe it will work ? :)

spiderbatdad
August 11th, 2008, 01:56 AM
also you might try booting with the f6 option all_generic_ide

delete --quiet splash from the end of the line and type in all_generic_ide

RICARDO MENDES
August 11th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Tried boot with both options: hw-detect/start_pcmcia=off and all_generic_ide. The install went two steps forward and then got stuck with similar problem.

So i started installation, after the initial screen, went to the language selection step and after keyboard selection. After selecting appropriate keyboard, then install tries to detect and mount CD rom and then I go to the same as before. I can continue trying and acesss the menu with all of the install steps, including "detect and mount cd", "install deb...", "abort installation", etc.

But it all rounds up to the cdrom not detected again.

Anything now?

tinker312
August 11th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Tried boot with both options: hw-detect/start_pcmcia=off and all_generic_ide. The install went two steps forward and then got stuck with similar problem.

So i started installation, after the initial screen, went to the language selection step and after keyboard selection. After selecting appropriate keyboard, then install tries to detect and mount CD rom and then I go to the same as before. I can continue trying and acesss the menu with all of the install steps, including "detect and mount cd", "install deb...", "abort installation", etc.

But it all rounds up to the cdrom not detected again.

Anything now?

You may have done this but instead of hw-detect/start_pcmcia=off . . . try . . . hw-detect/start_pcmcia=false

RICARDO MENDES
August 11th, 2008, 02:31 PM
yeah, Ithink I was typing off... sorry.

Anyway, tried install with pcmicia=false and it goes to the "select language" screen, but then the keyboard isn't working...