PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP!!! Login SCreen Doesn't Appear (noob with big problem)

cooltuyul
August 11th, 2008, 01:20 AM
My Ubuntu 8.04 amd64 during startup doesn't display the login screen. at first the startup looks good with the orange loading bar, howver when it is all the way and instead of the normal login screen, a black screen appers! it says loading please wait at the top and a terminal like entry asking for name and password.

HELP!!!

tuxxy
August 11th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Did you recently edit any of your video settings?

ONce at the prompt log in with your user/pass and try running this command

startx

This should boot you back into GNOME however if it fails you could try and reconfigure the xorg

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

cooltuyul
August 11th, 2008, 02:03 AM
i didnt change anything at least that i am aware of. any ways i tried the first code thank you it worked. however when i was going to turn the computer off, there was no option to shut down or restart! WHATS GOIN ON? also will i keep on typing:
startx every time i start up my computer?

tuxxy
August 11th, 2008, 05:37 AM
You could try rebooting from the terminal by entering

sudo shutdown -h now

NOw see if it boots into GNOME, I also had an issue with the lgout menu going missing when I disabled power management in sessions.

Hunter M.
August 11th, 2008, 06:15 AM
startx command, then it should boot into your default login manager, otherwise go back into a terminal and execute it manually
then do reconfigure on xserver

cooltuyul
August 11th, 2008, 06:25 AM
startx command, then it should boot into your default login manager, otherwise go back into a terminal and execute it manually
then do reconfigure on xserver whats xserver?

Hunter M.
August 11th, 2008, 10:06 PM
xserver= displaymanager

zuner2012
August 11th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me. dang it sucks, I know. try unplugging all peripherals except for the power cord, monitor cable, keyboard, and mouse. Be sure to unplug audio and usb drives. If this doesn't work. When ubuntu loads correctly the orange passes back and forth a couple times, then starts filling up the bar. If after about 5 passes, it doesn't start, either ctrl alt delete, and reboot, or hold down the power button, and restart. Tell me if it works, it's worked for me before (might take many restarts though)

cooltuyul
August 11th, 2008, 11:52 PM
can i use
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg in the terminal although
startx works because its annoying to have to keep on typing it every time i start up.
:confused:

Java Geek
August 12th, 2008, 02:41 AM
what do you have *'ed when you type sudo tasksel? Just so you know, don't change anything...

oVIXx
August 12th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Check your inittab, in Slackware for example, you always start in Linux or what you might see as the command line, until you change the run level from 3 to 5. Init level 5 boots to a GUI login and log off options. Not sure how Ubuntu has the init levels set up but it should still be id:5:initdefault