PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Something is wrong with my Bios

andsmi
August 11th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Hi there! I was about to install Hardy Heron on my old computer, but when I start the machine, I get the loading of the Nvidia card, but it never gets to the bios. In stead I get some strange figures like #%& and some green, red and yellow colour smileys. Then everything gets black. Is it that the bios dosent work or...? If I deside to get it fixed, will I need a new motherboard as well?
Its an old computer, so it might be that its just taken the night.

Thanks for your replies

jamesrfla
August 11th, 2008, 01:17 AM
It looks like the BOIS is not getting through the POST. Their is something wrong with your hardware or you have something missing or put in wrong.

andsmi
August 11th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Ok. So I need to get inside the pc and figure out if something is misplaced or just wrong?
I'll try to see if everything is connected with the cables and such.

jamesrfla
August 11th, 2008, 01:22 AM
It can be anything. The POST basically makes sure every piece of hardware in the computer is working. The servers POST take a very long time.

andsmi
August 11th, 2008, 01:24 AM
ok. everything seems fine inside the pc. A friend of mine told me I could try to reset the BIOS with simply taking out the CMOS battery. Is it worth trying?

jamesrfla
August 11th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Yeah you can try it but I don't think it will help but it doesn't take that long so you can do it anyway. Just take it out for about 20 sec with the computer unplugged and then put it back in after 20 sec.

andsmi
August 11th, 2008, 01:32 AM
did that. now there is nothing happening on the screen.

jerome1232
August 11th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Personally sounds like a video card issue or RAM issue, could be the motherboard.

Reset cmos and try and swap out parts for known working ones. There should also be a jumper on the motherboard that says cmos next to it that you can short instead of taking out the battery and waiting ten minutes.

jamesrfla
August 11th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Check your cable connections. Do you have on board video other than the video card you have installed?

andsmi
August 11th, 2008, 01:41 AM
its not the ram, cause I checked the ram, and its working, it could be the video card thats mailfunctioned. It dosent have a jumper next to the cmos battery, and I do not have an on board video card. Just a really old Nvidia mx200 or something.

jamesrfla
August 11th, 2008, 01:42 AM
So your not getting any video?

andsmi
August 11th, 2008, 01:43 AM
not anymore, but it did before i took out the cmos battery.

jerome1232
August 11th, 2008, 01:44 AM
edit: double post

jerome1232
August 11th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Well is the computer getting power? (fans spin up?)

Are any lights on the keyboard flashing? (that could indicate RAM/CPU failure if it's say flashing all three lights on your keyboard varies by manufacturer)

I would try and reseat the video card, if you played with the ram I would reseat that as well (hell doesn't hurt to reseat it anyways).
Make sure you did replace the cmos battery.

If you can get your hands on a spare (or friends) video card and swap yours out just for testing that helps you to narrow down went down the crapper. (same with ram sticks just to check)

If all that fails and you can't get video to output to the screen could be powersupply isn't giving enough power, motherboard failed, cpu failed.

andsmi
August 11th, 2008, 02:02 AM
ok. I need to wait for tomorrow to try that. there are no lights flashing at my keaboard, all the fans are working. I'll reset the ram and video card tomorrow alonge with borrowing a different videocard. Thanks for all the replies and all the help