PDA

View Full Version : code complete

mo.reina
August 10th, 2008, 11:49 PM
has anyone purchased the book code complete by steve mcconnell? would appreciate any feedback since i'm thinking of buying it and it doesn't come cheap.

thanks in advance.

LaRoza
August 10th, 2008, 11:57 PM
It is rare to have such high reviews uniformally: http://www.amazon.com/review/product/0735619670/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1_cm_cr_acr_img?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

pmasiar
August 11th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Very good book. One of the non-language specific books which any decent programmers should read. If MSFT heeded more advice from the book printed my Microsoft Press, Vista might be better software :-)

sonofusion82
August 11th, 2008, 02:27 AM
yes, if is good non-language specific programming book that is developers should all read. it is written about producing quality codes from the perspective of a developer.. not the usual, boring subject on project quality processes, testing etc..

mssever
August 11th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Get it while stock last.I'm assuming that that site is posting the book illegally. Looks shady to me.

ghostdog74
August 11th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I'm assuming that that site is posting the book illegally. Looks shady to me.
that's the power of the internet right? :)

Sef
August 11th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mssever View Post
I'm assuming that that site is posting the book illegally. Looks shady to me.

that's the power of the internet right?

And since illegal download links violate the Ubuntu Code of Conduct, you have been given an infraction for it. If further violations occur, then a ban on your account is possible.

That also is the power of the internet.

(We appreciate having you contribute to the forums, so please refrain from posting links to illegal download sites.)

pmasiar
August 11th, 2008, 03:05 AM
that's the power of the internet right? :)

NO.

Power of internet allows us to share free documentation if we legally can, and notify editors that some pirates posted stuff illegally, if we see that. If editors will learn that illegal copying kills the profit, they will stop paying writers to write all those books - and for good book, they deserve to be paid, if they want to.

If you want others to be bound by rules of GPL and share changes (not to steal the code), you should be prepared to be bound by copyright rules yourself - it is only fair, right?

ghostdog74
August 11th, 2008, 03:08 AM
well, if i don't post the link myself, and i advised OP how to get it, will i get another infraction. Its not illegal right? Its a google search after all?

p_quarles
August 11th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Just removed another offer for illegal copies of this book.

Last warning: anyone doing more of this in this thread will get pwned, no exceptions. The OP asked for opinions of the book, not hints on where to steal it.

LaRoza
August 11th, 2008, 04:26 AM
well, if i don't post the link myself, and i advised OP how to get it, will i get another infraction. Its not illegal right? Its a google search after all?

It is suggesting it. Please keep it legal.

6. Adult Content/Violence/Illegal Activity: Messages containing sexually oriented/violent/illegal dialogue, images, content, or links to these things will be deleted. Messages with links to or suggesting illegal activity will also be deleted. Posting or linking to any of these could result in a ban.

jim_24601
August 13th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I agree with the other posters--don't let the Microsoft logo on the cover put you off. It is an excellent book, and if Microsoft followed their own advice a bit better, the computing world would be a nicer place.

Oh, and p_quarles, shouldn't that be "thoroughbred of sin"?

Diabolis
August 13th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I used that book for a class, almost read it all. It helped me a lot on how to write clean and easy to understand code. The examples of the book are usually written in Java and Visual Basic, but is not focused on them. I like that it contains little notes of information like "X" software had a 1000 lines method.

Don't hesitate on buying it, you won't regret it.

p_quarles
August 13th, 2008, 02:46 PM
oh, and p_quarles, shouldn't that be "thoroughbred of sin"?
Don't you mean Gandhi?

Erm, yes, it should be. Thanks. :)

jim_24601
August 13th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Don't you mean Gandhi?

Yes ... I meant Gandhi. ;)